Hello-I just joined up !!

Options
Hello to all of you fellow travelers on the road to Better Health !! I am middle aged, & have gained over 100 lbs. due to some psych. medications I went on about 3 years ago. Before that, I only struggled w/the 25-30 lbs. I had gained w/the birth of my last child. These medications have BAD side effects: weight gain due to a slow down in metabolisum (caused by the drugs AND menopause), carbohydrate cravings, sleep apnea, nasal congestion, memory loss, decrease in sexual desire & acne. And, I am now prone to: heat exhaustion (which can lead to heat stroke & death). My knees are shot (bone on bone) & my Dr. wants to do DOUBLE KNEE REPLACEMENTS !! I won't even consider it until I loose 100 lbs.

I am joining this site for 2 Reasons:
1) my husband joined & has been doing better w/exercise & watching his diet
2) I am in the process of going OFF the drugs (w/my Shrink monitoring me) & trying a Nutritional approach

Any support I get here will be a real PLUS !!:smile:

I belong to a Ladies Bible Study that meets once a week & most of the ladies I meet w/are overweight. I think they would be
willing to check out this site if I can show them it has helped me & my husband.

Replies

• lexy83
    lexy83 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!!

Here is the link to my FB!:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122505841129112&ref=ts

also add me on MFP!

Thanks,

Lexy
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I love it here...and it works!

2639362.png
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Friend me!! I have something to help you!!!
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Hi! And good luck on your journey to good health!
  • ducksinarow
    Options
    welcome aboard!! feel free to friend me
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Welcome! It's awesome that you want to be an inspiration to others. You'll love MFP and all the support you get!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It's a long and hard journey you will embark on but it will be worth it. Having friends makes it easier so don't be afraid to add people including myself!

Good luck!
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    MFP is the best thing I've found in my fitness journey! The people are great and VERY supportive! You'll find all sorts of great advice and the calorie counter is awesome! If you would like to friend me, feel free!
  • meka325
    meka325 Posts: 47
    Options
    Sorry your meds have had such bad side effects for you. I take valproic acid twice daily and clonazepam as needed and have been largely side-effect free. I think I may have gained some weight from it, but honestly, my weight has been yo-yoing for 10 years, so it's hard to tell what's what. I'll know in a few weeks, I guess, if my metabolism has slowed significantly. I don't want to judge just yet. It seems as if it hasn't, but its only been 12 days. Good luck!
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! You've come to the right place, full of love and support! Lots of people here have also had similar situations with weight gain due to various medications.
    Good luck with everything - Knee replacements are brutal, but good on you for wanting to be in better health before taking them on!!
    Feel free to friend me, i'd love to be able to follow and motivate you through your journey!
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    welcome! I love this site. It keeps me focused without being overwhelming. I am learning a lot about improved nutrition and that can only be helpful when dealing with overall physical and mental health.