Water intake question??

Options
Can you over do your water intake to where it keeps on the weight instead of shedding it? and how much is enough and how much is too much??

Replies

• darla_ann
    Options
    You can gain weight by holding water, but that's not the same as gaining fat. It's like being bloated, but that goes away.

8- 8oz glasses is the minimum. My Dr. recommends one ounce of water for every pound you weigh.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    In my experience, no. I drank two gallons just today. 25 glasses yesterday and was down a couple pounds this morning (water weight) if course, but it helps flush excess water out. Helps me feel quite thin as well, no bloat =]
  • bondi42
    bondi42 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Without being crude...urine colur is often the best indicator of hydration. It if it is Dark then you need to drink more (except if on multi vitamins which can change urine colour), if it is completely colourless then you may be drinking too much. Problem with overhydration, is in extreme levels it can cause problems with your electrolytes.....
  • Melissajojo3
    Options
    i know its kind of gross but when you go pee, if your urine is yellowish light, or no color, then your taking the sufficent water intake. if its too dark or really yellow, then your not taking enough water. This is how my Dr told me to keep balanced, water intake depends on your body weight, I drink 2 glasses of water with every meal, and one before I go to sleep...hope this helps.. good luck with your diet :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I find that "too much" is when I am in the bathroom every half hour (literally)...or up more than 2-3 hours at night (I don't sleep well sometimes so I may be up more than the average person anyway)
  • marthaannsmith
    Options
    what are some of the food that retain water
  • ebejeebiez81
    Options
    I have a small bladder as it is and i am up every 5 minutes NO JOKE (my boyfriend gets irritated cuz i pause our shows or have to go to the bathroom so much when we are out) until i stop drinkin for over an hour or two...so i am not sure if that means i am taking in too much, i usually try to just drink at least 2 quarts but yesterday i was on a kick and couldnt stop drinkin?? Thanks for all the replies to my posts it gave me alot of advice!! take care all :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I was drinking 28-30 cups a day my midsection, thighs and fingers got swollen and I definitely weighed a few more pounds. I cut my water back down to 16-20 cups, it took around a week, but the swelling went down.