Failure is not a option!

Options
Robster3
Robster3 Posts: 11 Member
Greetings,

It's been a long winding road to the place I am now.

I have two very good reasons to get back in shape. They are Justin and Jordan 8 and 9 years respectively. Their mother, my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer 2 years ago and even though she is fighting like a girl, the prognosis is not good. There is a good possibility I will be a single father one day, I hope not ever!!!, but I need to be here for my boys. I need to take better care of myself, eat better, workout, etc.... I have let myself go the past few years. I weigh the most I ever had (215) and want to lose 35lbs. On top of that, I have high blood pressure that is under control with meds but my goal is to get off of them!

I am so glad I found this community! I will be starting P90 tomorrow...not P90X...that would just be cruel and unusual punishment :-) I hope this site provides the support that I need to make this change in my life. LIke I said...failure is not a option!

I look forward to interacting with you all :-)

Rob

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I'm glad to hear that your wife is fighting - that can make all the difference.

Add me as a friend if you want some support. The community here is lovely.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! So sorry to hear about your wife's battle... that's just so hard. Glad she is fighting so hard!!! You will continue to be a great dad to those boys.. and getting healthy is something you can do together!

Good luck, and God bless!!!!
  • pvesey
    pvesey Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am also a breast cancer survivor of 9 years...stage 3. I have two friends, both stage 4 who are still doing well after many years. So stay positive, pray, and believe that your wife will stay well.

Good for you to get on a plan to lose weight. I have a wonderful husband of 38 years who is about 30 pounds over weight but he doesn't seem to care. He walks the dog with me and plays racquetball once a week, but I can't get him to watch what he eats. If I cook a healthy meal, he will fix something to eat later in the evening because he's hungry. I want him to want to get and stay healthy so we can enjoy retirement. So again...I say GOOD FOR YOU!!!

I will say a prayer for your family. I wish you all the best.
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    welcome Rob...yes this is a wonderful site and can help you alot if you take advantage of all it has to offer and use it regularly. I am so sorry to hear your wife is struggling with breast cancer. I know how hard that must be for both of you as I am a cancer survivor. I sometimes think it was harder on my husband than me since he had to pick up all the slack at home & work (we own our own business) while I was in treatment and take care of me and worry about me. I wish her all the luck in the world and will pray for her to finally beat it. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • pvesey
    pvesey Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    oh...forgot to say add me as a friend if you want. I would love to be support buddies.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Rob,

Welcome to a wonderfully supportive place!!!

I'm sorry to hear of your wife's cancer, and know firsthand the stress that dealing with the serious illness of a loved one can cause. It can wreck all kinds of havoc on your body -- and it's hard to concentrate on yourself when your spouse is fighting for his/her life. My husband died 10 1/2 years ago from a brain tumor. I gained weight while he was ill, and after he passed away. But, I took my life back about five years ago, after being diagnosed with elevated blood sugar. I had quit taking my cholesterol medicine due to some issues with soreness in my legs, and felt better immediately. 60+ pounds and almost five years later, both my blood sugar and cholesterol are in normal ranges.

Good luck with your journey. I will include your family in my prayers.
    Kaye
  • kloblondie
    Options
    My step daughters mom was recently diagnosed with Stage IV cancer as well, I feel the heart ache she has every day. Cancer is no fair and cruel. I wish you the BEST in your journey. Sounds like you have amazing inspiration and a great reason to do this. You can do this. We can do this. My course has never taken me to lose - but like you said. Failure is not an option. Good luck to you and let me know if I can be of any assistance!
  • 145Karen
    145Karen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Welcome we are all here for you! I know first hand the support its awesome. You will be successful. Cancer is ugly I lost a very good friend last December she was 45 and left behind a quadroplegic husband and a 10 year old little boy. My Dad in 2009 and father inlaw in 2008 God bless and give you all strength to push through. Break throughs are happening every day I pray that you and your wife will have that happen.
  • AFWinter
    AFWinter Posts: 13
    Options
    Welcome Rob, I am sorry to hear about your wife, but glad you have joined up here. Taking care of your family is a powerful motivator to lose weight, and like you said, failure is not an option. Talking to your physician about your exercise regimen would be a good idea depending on what meds you're on to control your blood pressure, as some might change how your body reacts to working out, like heart rate for example. Losing weight sure would help you to possibly get off some of them, if not all. I'll say a prayer for you and your wife. Good luck, you can do it.
  • javarushed
    javarushed Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hey Rob, welcome to MFP. I have another 20 or so lbs I'm hoping to drop and it would be nice to network up with others that have similar goals. I'm pretty new myself, but feel free to add me as a MFP Bud.
  • nwhiker1
    nwhiker1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Rob, your courage and your determination are inspiring. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    I am a breast cancer survivor, times 2. My first cancer was 16 years ago, the second 8 years ago. I'm so grateful to be alive and able to live a full life, and support from friends and family were invaluable in the healing process. I'm glad to find this site where we can support one another. I'm walking in the Susan G. Komen 3-day in September in Seattle. I want to do everything I can to beat this disease. At "over 60" I am hoping my joints will hold out for 60 miles.

6356585.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools