Vegitarians - How do you get your protein?

corrc7131
corrc7131 Posts: 3 Member
edited September 26 in Recipes
I have been a vegitarian for almost 20 years, meaning most would think I am an expert....not exactly the case.

I recently (6 weeks ago) started working out harder than I ever have and my trainer says I need more protein. My Morning Star and Boca products are just not cutting it.

What is everyone eating to make up the protein?

Replies

• tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Quinoa and black beans are staples for me..but I am pescetarian and get plenty of fish. I also eat eggs nearly everyday.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    im not a total vegetarian but i heard that egg plant is like a protein
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    greek yogurt (higher in protein than regular yogurt and still fat free--can be used in place of sour cream too!)
    quinoa (it's a protein, not a grain)
    beans (you can make vegetarian chili)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I have been a vegitarian for almost 20 years, meaning most would think I am an expert....not exactly the case.

I recently (6 weeks ago) started working out harder than I ever have and my trainer says I need more protein. My Morning Star and Boca products are just not cutting it.

What is everyone eating to make up the protein?

Milk, cheese, whey powder, beans lentils, tofu, eggs, egg whites, tempeh, Greek yogurt, nuts, seeds, nut butters, etc. Make sure when you eat rice it is brown rice, or use Quinoa instead, as they are higher in protein compared to other grains
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Do you like EDAMAME? It's my fave, soooo good for you, so fun to eat, so delish and so good for protein. Also, miso soup, although the sodium is HIGH for that one.
  • I ate Raw for about 5 months, protein is not that hard to come by. I took Soy protein supplements after a workout, but Extremely dark green vegetables have protein content as well. Try to google some of the high protein vegetables.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Ive been a vegetarian since I was 6 (I am now 29), and I used to struggle big-time with protein.
    Now, I do the following to keep it in check....

1. Drink protein shakes at least once, but usually twice daily.
    2. Eat Greek Yogurt at least a couple of times weekly
    3. Eat string cheese every day
    4. Eat eggbeaters at least a couple of times weekly
    5. Mix in LOTS of Morningstar Farms items (veggie burgers, sausage, bacon... whatever) every day
    6. PB2- peanut butter- I eat it with apples
    7. Vitamuffins/tips/brownies
    8. Cottage cheese
    9. Lentil soup (Progresso makes a really good one)

I also run, at least a few miles every day and this does the trick for me. As a general rule, if you are a healthy person and are working out on a regular basis you should consume 1g of protein per pound of your goal weight. Good luck!
  • Since I've been trying to cut down on products like Morning Star and Boca (too much sodium), I've started using plain textured vegetable protein. The kind I buy comes dry (I use Bob's Red Mill, but there are probably others out there). It is flavorless and to cook it, you just pour equal parts boiling liquid over the TVP, cover & let it sit for 5-7 minutes. The TVP takes on the flavor of whatever liquid you pour over it. A quarter cup dry adds 12g protein. I add it to breakfast scrambles, stir it into rice or couscous, sprinkle it on salads. I add it dry to soups & sauces. It's a fast & easy way to add protein to almost anything.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    I'm not a vegetarian but the things I reach for on meat-free days are quinoa, lentils, and beans.

Greek yogurt is really good for protein too if you're strictly vegetarian and not vegan.

Smoothies made with tofu or soy protein powder are also good.
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    I am vegetarian and my primary sources of protein are
    -Egg whites (I don't mind eggs)
    - Whey protein powder
    - Protein Bars
    - TVP (My husband relies on TVP for his source of protein, every 100grams of TVP gives 55 grams of protein)
    - Tofu (Though I am not fond of it)

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm

This article should be helpful :)

Try not getting canned food. Phenomenal levels of sodium in them.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    I'm a vegetarian. Some good sources of protein I eat almost every day are oatmeal, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, tofu, and peanut butter. Other good things to eat... nuts, beans, tempeh (so yummy!!!), and eggs. I eat protein bars and use protein powder occasionally, but not often.
  • RoliDoli
    RoliDoli Posts: 1
    Hemp seeds are easily digestible and are a great source of protein, omega 3's & 6's in a healthy ratio, and amino acids. I make fresh hemp milk every morning as a base for a smoothie and it sustains/satisfies me until lunch time or through a run. Otherwise, Sunwarrior makes a decent raw vegan protein powder made from sprouted whole grain brown rice that tastes pretty good and is easy to drink in water, juice, etc.
  • I'm also a fan of TVP! Use just like you would ground beef. One cup of TVP is equal to one lb of ground beef, but less calories and WAY less fat! Some of my favorites are to mix 1 cup of dry TVP with one can of sloppy joe sauce, or 1 cup dry TVP with spaghetti sauce for pasta. Yum!!

Protein shakes are awesome, too. My favorite brand is Pure Protein - the Frosty Chocolate is really good.
This discussion has been closed.