frustrated in my weight loss...

Options
I've been working out for the past 2 months, added in running just this past month, and I've changed my eating habits. I wasn't unhealthy before, but I've definitely buckled down and gotten back to the basics...grilled chicken and fish (no butter, ewww...just herbs and such) salads with lemon and vinegar instead of heavy dressings, fruits and veggies, protein shakes after the gym, tons of water (which I've done my whole life). If I have a craving, I let myself have something, but in moderation (ie 10 chocolate chips, 5 chips, etc) and only one a day but most days I drink some water and forget about it.

sooo...my frustration?? I've only lost 4 stinking pounds in 2 months! I thought I would have noticed a bit more of a difference since I started working out, but it's frustrating. I feel better, ie not so lethargic/sleepy, sleep better at night, higher energy levels, but I don't notice my clothes fitting loosely or anything. I didn't expect a dramatic weight loss right away, but the whole 1 pound a week clearly isn't me, and it's frustrating.

any advice on what I may be doing wrong?? or suggestions as to what I can do to turn up the volume?? I want results, and I know it's not going ot be immediate, but I'm getting frustrated. I'm not giving up, but I'd like to know what I can change!! Any and all suggestions taken! If you have any questions about what I'm doing, please feel free to ask! Thanks everyone!!!

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you make your diary public, people can usually help.

Just a thought.
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    I'm the exact same way! It takes me forever to lose weight. I've decided that I have to work extra hard and that in time the weight will come off. Feel free to add me!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    calculate your bmr and lower from there

mostly its believed 3500 cals makes up a lb. so if you lower your cal intake by 500 each day you should lose a lb a week.

are you sure you are tracking all your calories? its not just as simple as watching what you eat or changing what you eat..to be serious about weight loss you must count calories. and you must workout.
  • emmascott
    emmascott Posts: 249
    Options
    You may have started eating too little? I changed to eating half of my exercise calories and it works! I never knew to eat them before, but for me it is working!

Take care and good luck

xxx
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight. Keep with it. In the meantime, try decreasing your sodium intake.
  • wwpatty
    wwpatty Posts: 3
    Options
    Kind of hard to judge from a head shot, but, I'm guessing you're not seriously overweight and it sounds like your habits weren't too bad to begin with. And that's good!

If that's true, you won't see as dramatic of results, as someone who has a lot to lose and has made some major changes in eating and exercising.

Slow may be frustrating, but, it's healthier and more likely to stay off, once lost. And, there are a lot of people who, no doubt, wish they didn't have much to lose.

Again, I'm assuming here, but, if you don"t have a lot of weight to lose, you might start a topic, asking for tips from other dieters who are reasonably close to their goal weight for suggestions in getting past plateaus's.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    From what you said, it doesn't sound like you're counting your calories. That's huge. Before I got onto this site, I was working out a lot and "watching what I ate", which I thought was enough, but I ended up not losing anything. Once you put it on paper(so to speak), it seems the magic starts to happen.
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue! I've been going to the gym now for 6 weeks 5 times a week and eating 1200-1500 calories per day, and have only lost 4lbs!! BUT yesterday when I posted about this, people were telling me that my net calorie intake is too low. I've only been having about 800 net cals a day, so I'm going to try upping this to 1200 for the next week and I'm hoping that will make a difference! Also, for the past 6 weeks I've been doing cardio and weights at the gym, but for the next week I'm going to do pure cardio and see if that makes a difference! Just a few ideas people have given me! Also, make sure you count EVERY calorie, even veg and fruit have some calories!! Good luck! x
  • Vegasboricua702
    Options
    Yes please make diary public.

- Try reducing your calories by 500 everyday.
    - Lower Sodium slightly
    - Continue drinking water

Also if your not already I would recommend getting

- Fish oil Capsules - 1000mg
    - CLA (Conjugated linoleic acids) - 1000mg
    - Multi-Vitamin for Women - I recommend Optimum for Women

They do wonders for wieght loss, and go hand in hand with your protien shake! I would check out www.bodybuilding.com for the prices on these suppliments. They cost 30-40% less than stores and have awesome shipping!
  • mariesa2011
    Options
    thanks for everything everyone!! i'm going to keep at it no matter what, and adjust different things until i see a difference.
    i purchased a multi-vitamin for women, as well as the CLa, so i'm looking forward to pairing that with my workouts.

i love coming on here, because everyone on here has such realistic and honest answers. thanks again!!! :flowerforyou:
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I changed my goal to 0.5 pounds a week so I can have more successful weeks! Its just a mind-set change that makes a difference. I don't have much too lose, so I figure I will take extra time to loose the weight, the end result will be the same.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You may have started eating too little? I changed to eating half of my exercise calories and it works! I never knew to eat them before, but for me it is working!

Take care and good luck

xxx

This has really helped me too! I had no idea, and as soon as I learned, added some calories back, and am losing faster than I ever have.