Swimming for strength training?

Options
I am looking to incorporate some resistance/strength training into my weekly work out, and I have heard swimming once or twice a week is a good resistance training exercise, as well as good for cardio? Is this true? I am already cycling a few days a week, walking, and have just started the c25k program (which is great btw!). Would swimming help along with these other activities?

I really don't want / can't be bothered to be doing squats/crunches/push-ups and all those things, since I find it really, REALLY boring. And if I am bored doing it, then it won't last... I know that strength training is as important as cardio, but I want to be enjoying what I am doing, not doing it "because I have too". I like the cardio stuff I am doing since it gets me out and about, seeing the countryside etc. I also used to love swimming when I was younger, used to be quite good at it...

Opinions?

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Interested in seeing the reply to this. I expect it works as strength training for your arms at least, not sure about the rest. I went last night and breaststroke arms are pretty much like pulling weights on a machine.

I do similar exercises to you, I go walking on sundays (usually around 7 miles but trying to increase that when I can - it's with a social group), and started the c25k 3 weeks ago.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    bump x
  • sdgreen15
    Options
    I have had some success with swimming resistance training. I'm a former competitive swimmer. I find that I get more out of my workout if I use some things to make it harder (i.e. paddles, pull bouy, fins, etc.). All of these increase your resistance.

As far as cardio goes, you have to swim non-stop for a long time to get any huge benefit. This is why I added in some equipment, because I wasn't getting my heart rate in the range it needed to be. As a competitive swimmer your goal is to be efficient or fast, which means your body is more streamlined and therefore doesn't burn as many calories as you think, which in turn limits the cardio benefit. Unless you're doing a hard, fast swim without stopping for at least 30 min., it's good, but not great.

I enjoy it simply because it helps break up the monotany of my regular routine. It's also very easy on your joints. Happy swimming!
  • andyj1984
    andyj1984 Posts: 76
    Options
    Thankyou for the reply. I think at this point its most important for me to do exercises and activities I will enjoy, like swimming! I plan on going to the pool next weekend (bit busy this weekend)