Chocolate Milk?? Really?

Options

Replies

• regia1la
    regia1la Posts: 1
    Options
    After a workout your muscles glucose stores are empty and need the fuel from carbohydrates. Chocolate milk has a lot of sugar (a form of carbohydrate) which is readily absorbed after a workout. Along with that milk is full of nutrients/minerals the active body needs such as protein and calcium. You can get the carbohydrate your body needs through other sources such as whole grains, fruits, pasta, etc. You don't have to drink just chocolate milk to get sufficient nutrients post work out! I hope that helps!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Regia is right. Plus it's tasty and awesome. Don't bash something just cuz it's not "diet" food guys. Choclate milk is an EXCELLENT recovery drink!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Makes sense to me if you don't have any post-workout protein shakes! The protein in milk isn't as fast-absorbing as a protein powder, but should still give you similar effects and keep your body from glucogenesis.

Edit: After my workouts, I have apple juice and some protein... same concept.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ive said it before on here. Im probably the six year old that was being referenced
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I just looked at the actual study two weeks ago and now I can't find it. The combination of simple carbohydrates and protein helps your muscles recover and, most importantly, not be sore afterwards.

The official medical journal study that I cannot find right now was specifically about muscle soreness, so if you are not working out at a level that might cause muscle soreness, it seems like chocolate milk would be awfully heavy on the sugars.

Here is link to a different article than the one I am thinking of, but similar results: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152240.php
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    the chocolate milk is supposed to have the right balance between protiens and carbs needed after a workout.. i've tried it and it does help i'm usually not as sore post workout after drinking a lil choc milk

^This. There are so many studies about this readily available on the internet. Try it yourself and see. I was very impressed at how much it helped with my soreness. There is an ideal time frame to drink it post workout. Best is immediately after, but at least within 45 minutes to an hour. I use it on my lighter training days. On my heavier training days, I drink a protein shake right after my workout, followed by 3 oz. of lean protein (usually chicken) for a slower protein feed for my muscles.

Edited to add: I buy 1% lowfat chocolate milk.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    yup, the fast acting proteins and simple carbs are excellent in helping your muscles recovery aster intense training. Nonfat or low fat milk is ideal because otherwise the high fast actually flowers the absorption which you want to be quick. Low fat chocolate milk...mmm
  • afries0907
    afries0907 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks all..the advice was great and so were all the links!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    yup, the fast acting proteins and simple carbs are excellent in helping your muscles recovery aster intense training. Nonfat or low fat milk is ideal because otherwise the high fast actually flowers the absorption which you want to be quick. Low fat chocolate milk...mmm
    hahahaha i went back and read my post.... I apparently didn't spell check anything on my phone before posting! :-D
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink Dark Chocolate Almond milk post workout.

Oh yeah, that's yummy.

I would also think a flavored Greek yogurt (love the Chobani Strawberry) would work, too.
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    Lately I regularly drink half an liter of buttermilk mixed with cocoa after my workouts...besides it's so damn delicious :smile: I really feel my energy depots restored very quickly.

For years I was a big fan of eating 500g of lowfat quark or natural joghurt with fruits and oat flakes, nuts and raisins. It always made me dizzy and sluggish after eating the whole pot. The buttermilk-chocolate-milk is like an energy boost instead ^^
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to put this to a test after my workouts!
  • AFWinter
    AFWinter Posts: 13
    Options
    In addition to the nutrients everyone has mentioned, the chocolate also contains theobromine, which is a chemical similar to caffeine, but works on a much smaller scale. It acts to somewhat relax smooth muscle and dilate blood vessels, making it easier for your heart to pump blood and give it a break post-workout. Like caffeine, it is a mild stimulant. It won't wake you up, but it will make you less tired.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My son is an athlete and plays multipe sports and all his coaches and trainers recommend it after games, particularly when they are playing multiple games per day.
  • mkraemer91
    mkraemer91 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've never heard this. But maybe I'll start working out more, so I'll have an excuse to drink chocolate milk. :p Haha!
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate milk! And it does help after workouts!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I've never heard this. But maybe I'll start working out more, so I'll have an excuse to drink chocolate milk. :p Haha!
    Where to turn it around!!! :-D
  • ravennessa
    Options
    awesome!!! Now I have an excuse to drink choco milk :D
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    I've heard that! My boyfriend uses it after an intense workout session, but he is a hardcore cyclist who would cycle 60 miles in a day! It apparently has all the fats and protein needed to replenish your body and some people add oats to it too! I suppose only use it if it's a really intense workout!