'Cups' of water

Options
Does anybody know how much a 'cup' of water is exactly? I'm trying to gage how much i'm drinking using a 50cl bottle of water.

Replies

• jenny2002
    Options
    8 ozs
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    Yeah I've noticed lately that I've been getting cheated out of my cups of water! I didn't realize how *little* 8 ozs is.
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    ok, so my 50cl bottles is actually 2 cups. Huzzah!!
  • djhowzy
    djhowzy Posts: 4
    Options
    Yeah, as I live in the UK, "cups" mean nothing to me, and neither do "ounces" really. I calculated that 1 pint (568ml) is 2.5 "cups" or 20 "ounces".

So 50cl (500ml) is about 2.2 "cups", or 17.6 "ounces".
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    confusing eh??? I say about 250ml is a cup :) so my 750ml bottle is 3 :) x
  • Crazyjoe11
    Options
    Does tea count? :drinker:
  • xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I work on 250ml = 1 cup
  • kayleighbaybee
    Options
    i think the general rule is 1 cup = 250ml

of course at the beginning i didnt realise this and was trying (and failing!) to drink 8 glasses a day,not knowing that our glasses are 500ml lol

i nearly drowned haha

xXx
  • ybba12490
    Options
    Does tea count? :drinker:

I count tea as long as there is nothing extra added (sugar, honey, etc)
  • ybba12490
    Options
    oops double post
  • vivient
    vivient Posts: 9
    Options
    No tea shouldn't count, a litre of water is 4 cups as far as I know! so 2 litres a day :-)
  • Seb83
    Seb83 Posts: 18
    Options
    How come tea doesn't count? Surely it's at least 95% water even with a splash of milk? Oh... by that I don't mean counting 8 mugs of tea as your sole water supply for the day!!

I know what you mean about cups and being from the UK, makes no sense!! Though I'm lucky as my cycling water bottle holds exactly 24oz, or 3 'cups'; so I just drag that around all day. Forgot it today though >:(
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The Internet is global, and occasionally we have to step outside of our comfort zones and do a bit of research. I didn't have a clue what a "stone" was either before using MFP, so I looked it up. I am also baffled by food measured in grams, not because I cannot do a conversion, but rather I just have no concept of what x number of grams is when it is in my hands. But, I guess it will only get worse and mixed terms will increasingly be a way of life; I already by my milk in gallons and my alcohol in milliliters.
  • WalkerPop
    WalkerPop Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    How come tea doesn't count?

I'm not a medical person, but tea is a diuretic, so it actually decreases your body's fluids. It is counterproductive to your hydrating efforts. (So are my Diet Coke and coffee ...big time... but I keep sucking it down!)

By the way, "1 cup [US] = 236.588 236 5 milliliter".
  • knantz
    knantz Posts: 68
    Options

I'm not a medical person, but tea is a diuretic, so it actually decreases your body's fluids. It is counterproductive to your hydrating efforts. (So are my Diet Coke and coffee ...big time... but I keep sucking it down!)

This joint needs a "LIKE" button. Hope everyone has a terrific day. :wink:
  • Seb83
    Seb83 Posts: 18
    Options

I was under the impression that tea is non diuretic unless it contains higher levels of caffeine (the diuretic ingredient if you will)

I think if the tea has under 300mg of caffeine it's considered a non diuretic fluid... but then this is the internet we're talking about. There's a billion different opinions on every subject! :smile:
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I read an article someone posted up on here the other day about "diet myths", and YES tea DOES count as water in take, contrary to popular belief.

I thought our 500ml glasses were one cup too!!! So i've been going way over on my water intake! haha! oh well won't do me any harm!!!
  • Crazyjoe11
    Options
    Differing opinions so I did a search on google and got this.

THE MYTH: Most people in the West are chronically dehydrated. For the sake of health and beauty, we should all drink eight glasses of water every day. Only pure water will do; all other drinks are dehydrating.

THE "TRUTH": We do need to take in a certain amount of water daily - although no-one seems to know where the 8 glasses figure comes from - but we get most of it from our food. Drink lots of water, and you’ll just urinate a lot. People sometimes overdose on water, with serious and occasionally fatal consequences; even Ecstasy users have died from excess water (and not from the drug itself). There’s no scientific basis for the curious idea that fluids other than water cause dehydration. Clearly, the bottled water industry has benefited immensely from the water craze, but its origins may lie in a (US) National Academy of Sciences report of 1945 (or, in some accounts, a US Food and Nutrition Board report of the 1980s) which recommended 1ml of water per calorie of food. The Board’s conclusion that “most of this is contained in prepared foods” was largely overlooked in media reports.