help! I'm bindging again!

Options
Im so frustrated with my will power.. I am able to diet great at work, eating only what I brought and spacing the items out so i am able to eat healthy snacks as well. But once i get home... I feel like i'm inhaling the refrigerator, and bindging on dinner my mom makes.. eating 3 times what I should. Help! If anyone can relate.. I could use some friends and support.. :(

Replies

• lindan98
    lindan98 Posts: 2
    Options
    OMG you and I are the same. It is so easy to maintain at work, but at night...wow. My problem is cereal and milk in the middle of the night. Not one bowl but sometime 3. I am addicted and can't stop. What are we going to do?
  • ktieman
    ktieman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cure to stop bindging; I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I do really great all day long then after 9 at night I am raiding the cabnets for chips. If you find something that helps please let me know.
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    Well are you eating regular meals?
    You should eat at the same designated time everyday.
    And eat slower than you usually do. Do not eat in front of a computer/tv.

ALSO: Desserts can help because it allows your mind to know that you are done eating. But when I say dessert, I don't mean half of a german chocolate cake, but maybe a low-cal Popsicle or fruit w/ whip cream.

You should stay away from the refrigerator if you KNOW you aren't hungry.
    Keep your mind off of food, keep your mind busy, go do something else.

Here are my steps to get over a craving:

IF IT IS LATE, JUST GO TO BED.

1. Drink water or milk

* Thirst is the first sign of hunger.
    * Milk is a REALLY good way to satisfy hunger. It coats the stomach so you feel less hungry AND it helps with period cramps

(Still craving?)

2. Chew Gum

(Still craving?)

3. Go do something, make yourself busy.

(Still craving?)

3. Eat fruit or maybe a pickle

(Still craving?)

4. Eat some sunflower seeds/nuts

(Still craving)

5. You’re obviously hungry, get something to eat. A MEAL, not a chocolate bar.
  • jkd1214
    jkd1214 Posts: 27
    Options
    Here are some thoughts I have - Are you eating six times a day? Spacing out your meals even at night might help. Are you removing your trigger founds from the house so you can't eat them when you get home? Are you drinking enough water when you get home at night to fill you up? Have you thought about just keeping healthy snacks in the house for night time?
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I have the same problem ... and it's not even the simple fact of being hungry and needing to eat a meal. I'm not sure what it is, but I also struggle. I am going to try and read more to see if that helps ... however, I have found that if you log everything, it puts it all into perspective and I don't eat as much. Hope that helps!:bigsmile:
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem,
    i'v been on this new diet for about a week.
    and it was goimg well, apart from one day where i went to a party and drunk like 2,000 calories worth of alchohol....

but last nigth at about 3am i found the hidden stash of easter eggs.
    ahh u just have to see my calories for today so far!
    it's painful!
    over 2,000 calories of chocolate, and i hadn't even slept yet.

the only advice i have, is if its not in ur house, and all the shops are closed.. u cant eat it.
    so unless u have kids, or someone in ur family with a sweet tooth, i'd make sure u dont buy anything u can munch on.
    well anything that would upset u, if u scoffed a whole bag of it!
  • lilreppert
    Options
    I am the same way! My other problem is just ignorance as to what I am eating, I think its healthy till I put it in on here, then its like a big smack in the face! I just started, so it is helping me to realize what good and whats bad, but I get home and there is dinner just sitting there waiting for me, I cant not eat it! I am living with my in-laws right now so its hard to control what is being made and what is coming in the house. But for those of you that live on your own, my biggest suggestion is to get rid of what you dont want to be eating, if it isnt there, you cant eat it, and if other house members complain, too bad, they will be forced to eat healthy then too!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's hard to avoid, especially if you're living with other people who still want their chips and cookies and ice cream...

How about keeping plenty of snacks just for you, and designate them as your snacks very specifically to everyone in the house, and know you're only going to eat them if you do want something. Snack bars, fruit, nuts, pudding, jello, etc..

Dinner is my biggest meal and I make sure I plan my day that way. I eat a light breakfast, exercsies enough to burn 300 (or more) calories and then eat a light lunch and afternoon snack. Most days I still have plenty of calories left for a nice big dinner.

But most importantly, you're just going to have to figure out how to control yourself. Maybe you don't have a good enough goal in mind, or just aren't as determined to lose the weight as you think you are, or you're scared to lose weight (plenty of people are - you get more attention, relationships can change) and it's making you self sabotabe.
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My husband is a licensed nutrition counselor & he says that taking a squaline and/or fish oil supplements should help with cravings.
  • beckymike36
    beckymike36 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    my cure for night time cravings is to brush my teeth, doesn't always help but once I brush my teeth I don't want to have to do it again so I stay away from the kitchen !
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    Try to eat more protein and fiber to help fill you up. Less sugar....sugar is evil:grumble: Look at your food diary; are you eating food with a ton of sugar? Sugar tends to amplify a small craving. Eat more low GI (Glycemic Index) foods; you stay fuller longer with low GI foods.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Try to distract yourself with something . . .something that keeps your hands busy . . .get out of the house after you are done eating a sensibly portioned dinner.
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I think part of it is that I AM so hungry once i get home, so I will try to take fiber and fish oils in the morning to see if that helps. Im also breastfeeding, so it's been hard to get enough calories but still loose the baby weight, and I haven't found the right balance yet. The other issue is that since my mom have moved in with me, she makes the dinners, which has been great since i'm exhausted.. but she is not a fan of my low-fat, low-carb, whole wheat foods and makes her types of dinners that are not good diet choices. The only way I can eat them and keep my goals is to have tiny portions.. but that just leaves me hungry again.
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    Really take a look at "why" you're binging? Are you still hungry?.... You may not be eating enough earlier in the day or you may be dehydrated. You mentioned having 3 helpings when you visit your mom.... Is that hunger, guilt, habit? See if you can think about how you feel when you're in binge mode. Are you getting enough exercise?... Exercising too much?! When I started out and was still used to "over eating" I would workout to work off the calories. It helped! I didn't even notice when I stopped over eating. I'm a lot more conscience of my calorie intake now. The best advice I can give you is to make sure you log everything you eat down. It helps to see patterns. Use your area in your food diary to take notes about emotions and cravings, and when you feel good. Don't be hard on yourself! This is a journey...it will take time, but you can get to your goal if you stick to it. This site is great support!
  • tinalorrainebryan
    tinalorrainebryan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can be like this. I can be so good all day, then once home, and alone, it's as if I have to eat everything in sight before it goes. I don't know what the answer is to this. For me I just have to go with my determination when I feel it and having a goal or a special reason for losing has always helped me stay on track. I have spent my whole adult life going from fat to thin.....never have found the secret of keeping it off without feeling like I am missing out. What I do know is my eating patterns are so strongly tied to my mental health that I don't really ever expect to not be like this. Sad but I accept. I am 48 soon and if anyone can tell me how to change this I would be amazed. Keep trying. Thats all you can do. :flowerforyou:
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    BREASTFEEDING! That's a HUGE part of it! Damn hormones!! Smaller portions is smart in regards to your mom's cooking. Just stay active. You'll be fine. :smile:
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding probably is a part of it, but it's my first baby and I'm new to all of this. I have been sucessful in weight loss in the past but old tricks don't work anymore. I feel like i'm in anothers persons body and I have to re-learn how to loose weight. It's definately a big challenge!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Portion your food on a small plate for dinner. Eat it, enjoy it. Brush your teeth. :bigsmile:

When you start wanting something after you've brushed your teeth, its probably time for bed. Sleep is as important as eating right and exercise! Most of us don't get enough. :ohwell:
  • melanie2175
    melanie2175 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OH dear I have the same problem I am struggling. It started about a month and half ago. I want loose this extra 13 pounds I put back on from the bindging and then get back to loosing the 15 i wanted to take off to make my final goal. my weakness is sweets I can eat 3 candy bars in a day i could almost eat a whole pint of ice cream. I start out with just the right size serving then keep going back. now the ice cream is low fat and sugar free and the candy is adkins. but it is still empty calories. I know what I have to do i just have a hard time sticking with it.