Sugar intake - always getting negatives

Options
I can't control my sugar intake. Calories is not a problem, but l'm only onto lunch and l have had apple & grape snack pack, and a low-fat strawberry yoghurt and it's already on -13. ls this actually a problem for weight loss? lt happens every time and it puts me off! :/

Replies

• LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't even look at sugar. It's impossible not to go over unless you cut out most whole grains and fruit. And that is just stupid. I would just focus on calories, protein and that's about it.
  • jadebugs
    jadebugs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    In the same boat here. Everyday my cal are under but my sugar is up???? let me know if you find a solution:)
  • LORR79
    LORR79 Posts: 55
    Options
    Im the same,its the only thing I frequently go over my goal for.

I'm aiming to keep it down as much as I can and not worrying too much if I go over for fruit,veg,milk and fat free natural yogurt
    as these are naturally occuring sugars.

I've cut added sugars to a minimum,hard because I'm a chocoholic.:smile:
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I find it hard to believe that I will hurt my victories by eating a portioned frozen grapes snack at night which automatically puts me in the negative.
  • emyback68
    emyback68 Posts: 89
    Options
    I was having the same issue. The problem is that MFP does not separate natural from processed sugar. Too much processed sugar is bad, but the natural sugar (fruit, milk, etc) is fine. So I have now I am trying to track how much natural sugar I normally eat in a day, and when I get a good number, I am going to increase it in my settings. I don't like seeing the red number either, making it look like I did something wrong when I was just eating fruit!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You don't have to count natural sugars (fruits, veggies, dairy). Those do fall under the carb numbers, though so they count somewhere. But a lot of low-fat and fat free versions of foods contain more sugar - they need something for flavor; also higher sodium content. The amount of sugar in most flavored yogurts is disgusting. And dried fruit has all the sugar from fruit but none of the substance. (think concentrated fruit). Get unsweetened yogurt and add fruit.

I keep my sugars at 25g and really don't have much a problem keeping with those numbers. Look in the ingredients for sugar (words ending in -ose) and try and stay away.

And I eat fruits, veggies and whole grains and have no issues with keeping my numbers low.

(There is a sentence in the last paragraph that explains what the body does with sugar).

The law of unintended consequences

Your body is an amazing feedback system aimed at balance and survival. Humans are at the top of the food chain because they are able to adapt to their environment. Every action produces a reaction. Every change in its environment triggers a survival response. It's important to keep that in mind when you plan your fitness program. If you treat your body as an enemy to be conquered, you'll produce unintended results.

For example, if you severely cut off the supply of food to your body, it will defend itself by slowing down its metabolism to survive starvation. The body will shed muscle mass the same way that you would throw cargo from a plane that was low on fuel, and it will reduce its thyroid activity to conserve energy. The body will also actually defend its fat stores. In anorexia, muscle loss can be so profound that fat as a percentage of body weight actually rises. Extreme carbohydrate restriction also causes muscle loss, dehydration, and slower metabolism, which is why even successful Atkins dieters can have a significant rebound in weight after they stop the diet (don't worry – the advice on this site will prevent that from happening).

As another example, if you put your body under stress through overexertion and lack of sleep, it will respond by slowing down, reducing muscle growth, and increasing your appetite for junk food, carbohydrates and fat. If you feed your body excessive amounts of sugar and quickly digested carbohydrates, and it will shut off its ability to burn fat until those sugars are taken out of the bloodstream.

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html
  • saradm98
    saradm98 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try the sugar free snack packs they taste good enough I have to keep my kid from eating them all. Here is a website that lists fruit based on high, low and medium sugars.....http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm . Remember that low fat isn't always better for you. I have been enjoying some ice cream by weight watchers and they are good. Natures Own makes sugar free wheat bread. I think it is important to keep your sugar intake within your goal but it should be ok if you go over every once in a while....I hope this helps you out. You are not alone; Good luck!
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    I don't mind being on red if the sugar intake is mainly from fruit or veggies.

I am careful not to eat any processed pastries, or added sugar foods. Of course, if you have one of those from time to time won't kill you, but it's better to get the sugars from natural foods.

Today I've had a cinnamon roll, with cinnamon instead of frosting or sugar on top. It wasn't the sweetest, but since I barely eat any extra-sugars at all, it tasted very sweet for me. It's not a habit, but I wanted to enjoy today's treat...
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    Beware of all the sugar "free" snacks. splenda and all "free calorie" sweeteners make you bloat, and I've read that in the long term, they don't help with fat-loss... you'll keep craving very sweet stuff.
  • ILuvLifehouse
    ILuvLifehouse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I quit tracking my sugar also.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't mind being on red if the sugar intake is mainly from fruit or veggies.

This is my thought / opinion as well.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody else. Focus on your macronutrients. Make sure you're eating whole, unprocessed foods, and that you're getting all of your protein, fat, and carbohydrates. And drjnk a lot of water! Good luck.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue. The problem is that MFP does not separate natural from processed sugar. Too much processed sugar is bad, but the natural sugar (fruit, milk, etc) is fine.

Exactly what I was going to post ^^
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm always over my sugar but i love fruit so I've stopped worrying about it.