Women Only - TTOTM

Options
(That time of the month)

How do you cope when you have your monthly visitor, cramps and you really don't want to work out?! For some reason mother nature has blessed me with a crazy one this month.

Replies

• MissbusyLizzie
    MissbusyLizzie Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I usually find that getting myself to work out it the hardest part... but once I go it makes me feel a lot better! I just power through it and show mother nature that I am in charge! :D
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    working out definatly make me feel better! Just be sure to eat alot of iron rich foods so you don't get weak
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    OMG I never knew what TOM stood for! I realize now that you said "That time of month". Honestly, my second day is ALWAYS the heaviest. I really just play it by ear. If I am REALLY heavy to where I could leak, I usually don't workout. If it is moderately heavy, I will still workout. If I am crampy, I usually push through it and workout. It really depends on the month.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Ugh, it's tough :/ I just try not to stress and do my regular workouts, but listen to my body if I need to slow down and take it easy. It's hard though, because I tend to eat more on my period... I usually gain a little weight during my period and try to lose it right back afterwards.
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    With me.. there were times I don't work out if it was a really bad day.. but if I was cramping and aching, the workout would minimize or eliminate it. If you just don't want to, maybe just do a mini workout. That way you won't feel guilty later.
  • DaniiDean
    DaniiDean Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of my TOM and am really struggling.... just had a huge binge, not exercising either because of injury and I am miserable. This is partly hormonal because usually I am so chirpy and happy but for some reason this TOM has got me really down. I tried to fight my cravings and have ended up going over board.... don't force it.

If you need to eat sweets do it
    If you don't want to exercise don't....................It is all good. Your body usually needs more fuel during the TOM so feed it and don't worry otherwise you will end up feeling guilty like me today and over doing it. Enjoy the rest and treats :)
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I just force myself to go...I can't say I always feel better afterwards, but at least I do some kind of workout. I also take it easy on those rough days....be kind to yourself....Make an attempt and understand it most likely won't be your best workout! Best of luck.....
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    magic cure .. paracetamol , and positive mental attitude .. u will feel better when u have done it , just dig deep for that motivation !
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Mine is almost out but I didnt want to exercise when it appeared I pushed myself to do it and felt great afterwards I think even the cramps subsided. Try it you may feel better too.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I get cramps in my back and I find that the back extension machine makes them work in a different direction and helps loosen them up. Also love Terma-care for heat to relax those cramped up muscles.
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    To be honest, I usually skip the first two days and just really watch what I'm eating... I have way too much pain to even walk around sometimes to working out is just impossible to me. When I feel up to it, I start with some easy cardio and focus on upper body. Oh and I drink TONS of water the whole time and eat iron-rich foods!
  • JessPaul93016
    JessPaul93016 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is getting the motivation to workout. The funny thing is that once I'm moving, it actually helps relieve most of my symptoms. Mother Nature has never been nice to me. There have been days that I almost couldn't get out of bed because of cramping, but exercising does help relieve (make them bearable) even my worst cramps.
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of water, believe it helps with cramps and mine go all the way down through my legs. I cannot take any NSAIDS with my medicine (THAT SUCKS, as i used to live for ibuprofen this time) so i usually take two pamprin. I also tend to eat a steak dinner because I crave the iron. But for the actual workout, I find after the first ten minutes are bad, but the exercise actually relieves them. Also if it is really really horrible, i just just take a rest day... but if i really want to work out - yoga is much better and an awesome workout. Especially the stretching of the muscles..
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I just take a pain pill (prescribed by my Dr cause I have endometriosis and PCOS) and double up on the leakage protection and power through it. If I am super tired and in pain I may just do a shorter workout that day. I still get a workout in but don't kill myself to do it :wink:
  • bbauer148
    Options
    Getting myself to WANT to work out is hard, but if I force myself, it actually makes me feel better. So I just think of that when I don't want to work out.
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    In the past when I've been watching what I eat and working out, I have to force myself to work out. Sometimes doing it makes me feel better - sometimes it just makes it all worse - I always take Midol before I go, and I just take it easy. And I'll reiterate what someone else said - I make sure to get plenty of iron. I border on low iron anyway, so during TTOM I'm especially careful. You don't want to pass out on the machines. :)

Good luck, and I'm sorry you don't feel good...I'm there with you in about two days - I already feel it coming on. :(
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I force myself to do something. The key is not to go in thinking you have to do this massive workout. Really, I tell myself I just have to get on the treadmill and walk. Usually, I feel better once I'm moving and do more, but sometimes that just isn't the case and I do my 1/2 hour of walking and go home! It's usually only Day 2 that is bad for me, so it's not like I'm taking a whole week off, at most a few days.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I normally wait until the middle (the worst time) and then use my off day to get better and takes ibuprofen :x But I always watch what I eat to make sure I stay at 1200 if I do end up not working out.
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    Well, I usually feel sluggish, am extra bloated, however, I push through the sluggish and drowsy feeling and maybe exercise a few mins and as each day progress and start to feel in balance again which is usually day three..I'm back on my regular exercise routine. As for eating, I crave sweets during this time especially chocolate! But I make wise choices regardless...so my advice just like some of the others.. listen to your body and at the same time tell your body what it needs to do...so you don't go backwards. :smile:
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Having a nice good day of rest is ok just workout the next day if you feel better. Thats how I do. On Light cramps I push myself sometimes and feel better afterwards. What happened to me this TOM is that I over did my calories yesterday by 400+. I don't remember having these kind of cravings on TOM. I guess now that I log it I realize it. EVery month is different I guess.