Does the pill cause difficulty in weightloss?

Options
Hey guys!

I used to be really adamant about working out. Trying to run outside and do some lifting (this past week and a half has been really bad with school!) but I get discouraged that I go through all this working out and see minimum weight loss, little to no muscle gain, and my inches don't vary really.

Now, I have seen some movement on the scale, but it seems so difficult and minimum compared to the effort I put in.

I'm on Seasonique (the pill where you only have 4 periods a year) and I was curious if any other ladies have found it a little harder to lose weight and build muscle while on this (or any other) pill.

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Im on the pill, and it has been known to cause weight gain if you aren't careful... but it doesn't stop weight loss if that is what you are aiming for....

do you measure yourself? I only lost four pound in 4 months but I lost almost 10 inches....
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill since I was 18 (now 24) and I haven't had any trouble losing weight. I did hit a plateau for 3 months, but that was after losing 65 lbs already. I've built muscle, lost tons of inches, and feel great. I don't think the pill has hindered things at all, but perhaps my body is used to it since I've been on it so long. It might be a combo of factors that are causing you to lose slowly. Maybe look at your diet and exercise? Try reading my blog below, I have some tips there to help if you're stuck or losing slowly.
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The pill makes you retain water,... it is really hard to tell what the situation is here because you dont log your diary or anything. You must be sure you are drinking a lot of water and eating enough if you are exercising a ton. You may not be eating enough calories to fuel your body. I did this for ten years (most of which was during college) Of course you don't have time to eat as much throughout the day. College took the biggest toll on my health. Try to cary snacks and if you can record your stuff so we can help you out more. ::)

Edited to say, when you started you logged a couple days and had over 900 calories that you never ate... I just want you to be careful because until I started using sites like this... I always believed that the less I eat then it will melt away.. But your body goes into starvation mode and takes the calories from muscles (which you need to burn fat). You should use your MFP calorie limit and when you exercise eat those calories back :)
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I wasn't on the pill very long but I have heard that long term birth control pills/meds that lighten/eliminate your period do cause difficulty for weight loss and even cause weight gain. I can totally testify to the depro shot making you gain weight!! I was on it just over a year and a half and I gained an average of 5lbs per shot! I gained over 25lbs when I was on it, and that put me at my highest weight ever :mad: I would work hard and lose about 2lbs towards the end of the shot cycle but as soon as I got another one I shot right back up and gained more, no matter how hard I tried to lose/control the gain. I would read the fine print in the reading you get from the pharmacy to see what the side effects are of the pill you are on. If weight gain is one of them and you can't get a handle on it you might want to reconsider a different kind. Its like you just can't win, huh. :ohwell:
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've always heard its more water retention than fat ur gaining. Watch sodium intake, drink lots of water.cont w/ diet and exercise
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My doctor is ADAMANT that the newer brands of birth control, the last made in the last 15 years, do NOT cause weight gain. I am also on Seasonique and while I'm not losing weight at lightening speeds, I am healthy, plus I also have to factor in that I'm older than I was when I lost weight before and our natural hormones as we get older slow things down. (I'm not 50, just 34 - ha ha) It obviously does alter your hormones, which will affect your eating habits, your water retention, and the loss of fat.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I wasn't on the pill very long but I have heard that long term birth control pills/meds that lighten/eliminate your period do cause difficulty for weight loss and even cause weight gain. I can totally testify to the depro shot making you gain weight!! I was on it just over a year and a half and I gained an average of 5lbs per shot! I gained over 25lbs when I was on it, and that put me at my highest weight ever :mad: I would work hard and lose about 2lbs towards the end of the shot cycle but as soon as I got another one I shot right back up and gained more, no matter how hard I tried to lose/control the gain. I would read the fine print in the reading you get from the pharmacy to see what the side effects are of the pill you are on. If weight gain is one of them and you can't get a handle on it you might want to reconsider a different kind. Its like you just can't win, huh. :ohwell:

Yes i gained 25 pounds on the depo shot in 2 months... went right off of that... I use the IUD now.. the copper one with no hormones :)
  • BSN2Be
    BSN2Be Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks for the input so far guys!

Our nursing instructors are split on the issue. Some swear that it makes weight loss difficult and others say it has no side effects. I've been on Seasonique for 3 years now, so I don't think its an issue of my body getting used to it.

The hard thing about my diet isn't watching my calories, but its getting good calories in (cafeteria food = very bad). As someone said earlier I would be under on my calories, but they aren't necessarily good calories.

I think I'll try writing in my diary more so that I can get a better idea of what I'm eating.
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    I've been on the pill since I was 18 (now 24) and I haven't had any trouble losing weight. I did hit a plateau for 3 months, but that was after losing 65 lbs already. I've built muscle, lost tons of inches, and feel great. I don't think the pill has hindered things at all, but perhaps my body is used to it since I've been on it so long. It might be a combo of factors that are causing you to lose slowly. Maybe look at your diet and exercise? Try reading my blog below, I have some tips there to help if you're stuck or losing slowly.

I've been on it since I was 18 as well (so a little over 5 years now) and I had trouble at first. My first ones made me depressed (so I ate and gained weight), my second ones made me so ill (I never ate and lost a lot of weight), but now my third kind is great! I've been on this one for 4 years and love it. It's similar to Seasonique but I take it like the normal pill. The hormone in it works great for me but the 3 months doesnt. So on 3 weeks, off 1 (doctor approved of course). If you are worried, there are other types of hormones to try and some people have to try hard to find the right kind!
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Anytime you toss additional hormones into your body's complex chemistry, losing weight will be difficult. I'd recommend really "learning" your cycle inside and out and going hormone-free. You'll feel better. Once you know your cycle as well as those body parts you're eager to trim down and tighten, there is no need for "the pill" to prevent pregnancy. I had NO trouble avoiding pregnancy for 4 years this way, and NO trouble getting pregnant this February--I knew the exact day I was able and my husband and I decided to take advantage of it! :-)

Also, if you're eating a lot of meat/fish or dairy products (as in, 3 or more servings a week), consider weaning them from your life. Meat/Dairy/Eggs are loaded with GROWTH HORMONES to speed the pace towards slaughter or to increase milk/egg production. A steady stream of growth hormones in your diet will slow or even inhibit even the smallest weight loss goals. Not to mention diets high in animal-based proteins/fats are specifically linked to higher rates of cancer, osteoporosis, and leukemia.

So my advice is...
    Add as little additional hormones to your body as possible--through changing your birth control to a barrier/knowledge based method, and cutting out the meat/fish/dairy/eggs.