Advice on plateau with weight?

Options
Well it seems I have reached a small plateau in my weight loss and just wondering if anyone has any advice on what I can change up to ride right down that plateau? lol

Is there a way to change my calories on here and not mess up my goals/weight loss ticker? Thanks, love to all you wonderful people out there!!

Replies

• mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    You may need to adjust the amount you want to lose per week in your goal settings. If you are coming in on those last 15lbs or so, you may need to go at it at a slower pace. Which totally stinks, I can relate! Are you working out? Changing what you do and when you do it might help also. One thing that stinks, and I don't know if this pertains to you because your diary is private, but when I started losing I could eat treats way more often while still meeting my calorie goal and I would lose. Now, not so much. The processed foods and treats become more of an issue when you are down to losing the last 'few' pounds. Just some thoughts...best luck to you!!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Check out the blog linked in my signature, I've written up what worked for me to break my plateau.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I recently had this same problem. i was stuck at the same weight for 2 months. I tried some of the tricks that mfp people have posted and nothing worked, so this is what i did.

i booked an appointment with the owner of our local gym - who is also a personal trainer. She recommended that I change up my workout routine so I'd do 10 minutes of intense cardio, then 2-3 reps of weights and repeat. The reason is that your body can get used to an exercise routine, so changing the order of things helps keep the workout more effective.

I also talked to my doctor because while I was consistently eating under my calories (and over 1200), nothing seemed to change on the scale. She looked at it and said I needed to eat the maximum amount of protein and fat alloted. She said with the amount I workout I wasn't getting in enough protein for my body to rebuild the muscle properly.

She also wanted me to swap the carbs I was taking in. Now 80% of my carbs come from fruit and veggies and only 20% come from starches such as potatoes, breads, rice etc.

These changes made a huge difference, I've since taken off another 12 pounds, and am continuing my decline. :happy:
  • mandapanda001
    mandapanda001 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You may need to adjust the amount you want to lose per week in your goal settings. If you are coming in on those last 15lbs or so, you may need to go at it at a slower pace. Which totally stinks, I can relate! Are you working out? Changing what you do and when you do it might help also. One thing that stinks, and I don't know if this pertains to you because your diary is private, but when I started losing I could eat treats way more often while still meeting my calorie goal and I would lose. Now, not so much. The processed foods and treats become more of an issue when you are down to losing the last 'few' pounds. Just some thoughts...best luck to you!!

Thanks for the tip!! I really appreciate it!
  • mandapanda001
    Options
    Check out the blog linked in my signature, I've written up what worked for me to break my plateau.

Great blog and that really helps!!
  • mandapanda001
    Options
    I recently had this same problem. i was stuck at the same weight for 2 months. I tried some of the tricks that mfp people have posted and nothing worked, so this is what i did.

i booked an appointment with the owner of our local gym - who is also a personal trainer. She recommended that I change up my workout routine so I'd do 10 minutes of intense cardio, then 2-3 reps of weights and repeat. The reason is that your body can get used to an exercise routine, so changing the order of things helps keep the workout more effective.

I also talked to my doctor because while I was consistently eating under my calories (and over 1200), nothing seemed to change on the scale. She looked at it and said I needed to eat the maximum amount of protein and fat alloted. She said with the amount I workout I wasn't getting in enough protein for my body to rebuild the muscle properly.

She also wanted me to swap the carbs I was taking in. Now 80% of my carbs come from fruit and veggies and only 20% come from starches such as potatoes, breads, rice etc.

These changes made a huge difference, I've since taken off another 12 pounds, and am continuing my decline. :happy:

Great job and thanks so much!!
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Zig Zag your calories. Add 200 one day and take off 200 the next. Change up your workouts. If you're a runner, bike, or vice versa. And if you're a cardio junkie...add weights. Do different things, eat different things. Add olive oil to your diet to clean out your system. Work out an extra 100 cals a day and eat them back. If you are more of a grain girl, eat extra veggies and protein, or vice versa. Basically, shock your body. Switch everything up as much as possible. But the zig zag works. It broke my plateu last year. Hope this helps!
  • birdieandkenadi05
    birdieandkenadi05 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Thanks I am at a plateau now as well!!! This ill really help!!