Chinese Food

Options
Can Chinese food make you hold onto water or something? The scale is showing me 2 pounds heavy today than yesterday. I only had about a 500-550 calorie meal last night....

Replies

• LeslieReagan
    Options
    probably. it's got a ton of sodium, so it makes you retain water.
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think so because it happens to me too. And when I eat sushi. I think it's the sodium. Because a day or two later I'm back down to the orignal weight. Just my opnion though.
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I am sure it can.... it is so packed with salt and i always feel bloated afterwards.
  • padbh
    padbh Posts: 40
    Options
    It does the same thing to me. Its the soduim and the MSG.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    high sodium meals make me retain water weight for an average of 2 days.. it's why i avoid them most of the time *L*
  • LucieBear
    LucieBear Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone regarding sodium... chinese. pizza and fast food are the worst in Sodium
  • hotmaybride
    Options
    Yes, full of sodium. Drink plenty of water next few days
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    YES!! I've learned to just stay away from Chinese food because I typically gain about 3lbs in water weight from all the sodium. If you do decide to eat it though, be sure to drink even more water than normal because your body will need it!
  • jessicajones1022
    jessicajones1022 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks guys! I feel a lot better now. :happy:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Any time you eat restaurant food it will be 1) higher in sodium and 2)much more processed than your typical meal- you will retain water because of the sodium and the food will take longer for your body to process and turn into waste. Give it 3-4 days of "false gain" weight after eating out.
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Well, no wonder after I eat panda express the scale goes up for a couple of days and then it goes back down. Hey, thanks for the question and thanks to those who answered.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I went to a hibachi grill place last week and was shocked when I seen how much salt he was putting on everything. I could'nt say anything because the table was full and he was cooking for everyone. He did this dance of salt about 10 times! Never again. I was shocked. It was good though.
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I would say yes. There is a TON of sodium in Chinese food!!
  • jessicajones1022
    jessicajones1022 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My gosh! Ugh. I'll be more careful next time. And no Hibachi grills for me. Thanks for the input