Is it possible to work out too much?

Options
Hello all!! i Just started 30 day shred a couple days ago, before that i would use my elliptical for about 60 mins. right now i feel super sore with the shred.. but it is a little less than 30 min workout, And i wonder if i could use my elliptical AND the shred? or just do one or the other so my muscles can get some rest? my quads are KILLING me !

Replies

• pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You need to give your muscles time to recover. On days where I am so sore from working out I like to go for a walk just to keep moving but its easy enough that my muscles can repair themselves. You need that time to let them repair but do something that is easy to work out some of the stiffness
  • nikkionamission
    Options
    I think it's fine to use the elliptical as well as doing the shred, I do 2 classes back to back at the gym and it's not doing me any harm!

You should try to have at least 1 day off a week to allow your muscles to recover :smile:
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    just listen to your body - if you are really sore take a break if not hit the ellipitcal.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    yes, it is possible to work out too much, but where that line is for you, i can not say.... But please know that REST and NUTRITION are the other spokes in the wheel, so be sure to keep those things in balance as well to lead a healthy life :) ... Maybe if you want to add some other activity to your Shred routine you can take up a walking route: 2-3 miles @ 15 min mile pace (4 mph) is a good, not extremely strenuous, workout IMO. Or maybe you can pop in a gently yoga dvd to concentrate on stretching, flexibility, strength and centering yourself mentally as well.

Best of luck! :)
  • darkangel_kayla
    Options
    You DO need to give your body a day of rest or so. A little break never hurts! If you're sore, make sure that you are doing enough stretching before and after your workouts, and drink a lot of water, maybe even a protein shake. If you're comfortable with a workout and you think you can do more, then by all means, do more. If you don't feel like it, then stop. Don't burn yourself out! You are the only person that can tell you when to quit and when you can't take any more. Just be sure to read those signals from your body right!
    Personally, if I don't feel a burn, I don't think I went as hard as I could have. I LOVE working out, and you know you're killin it when you're feelin it!
    Good luck, and take care of yourself!! :D
  • coranfloyd
    Options
    We like to do Jillian's Yoga Meltdown after Shred to get a complete workout. After about a month of using Shred and Meltdown, we rarely get sore, but still feel it's a good cross trainging workout to do with running.