What Carb., Protein, Fat proportions % are working for you?

Options
I just changed my proportions to 50% carb, 30% protein and 20% fat with at least 25g of fiber and no more than 24g of sugar ... trying to tweek for best results ... I have an apple shape so my weght always falls around my middle section .. so hard to get rid of the belly and get a smaller waist .. have changed to soy silk lite ... milk just has too much sugar, even the nonfat ..

Would really like your imput ...

Replies

• WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    17%fat, 50%carb, and 33% protein work for me. ...I love silk light too :) I also bumped my fiber to 35g I believe.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm not professionally trained, but I've read a lot, and I'd suggest reducing those carbohydrates. You don't need nearly as much as "they" (not MFP per se, but the whole system, govt, health teachers, doctors, etc) say you do.

I'm at 10% carbs (but I never ever reach it) and my fat and protein are equal at 45%. ...and i've never felt better.
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    40 carb, 30 protein, 30 fat.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm set to 40/30/30 (C/F/P), but I don't actually watch my fat, just saturated fat.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Currently at 50 Protein, 30 carb 20 fat. I do that for the first month of P90X then go to 40/40/20. I find that 50% protein is hard for me to do for much longer than a month. IF I I'm lacking in energy then I bump the carbs a bit one day. Works good for me as I do mostly weight training with 2 days of cardio, if I were on a more cardio based program like Insanity, then the carb level would be up much more.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Right now I have it set t 40 carbs/40 protein/20 fat. I still struggle with carbs some days, but I get most of my carbs from fruit, so I don't worry to much about it. It can also be tough, at least for me to get that much protein, but I try and just stay as close to those percentages *kitten* possible.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 50/25/25 (carb, protein, fat) but I will soon decrease carb to 45% and increase protein to 30% as my strength-training picks up in the next couple of weeks. Most of my carbs come from fruits, veggies, oatmeal and quinoa. Only 2-3 slices of whole grain bread per week.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 and 30g or more of fiber a day. This is what my body works best off of from my experience.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I'm not professionally trained, but I've read a lot, and I'd suggest reducing those carbohydrates. You don't need nearly as much as "they" (not MFP per se, but the whole system, govt, health teachers, doctors, etc) say you do.

I'm at 10% carbs (but I never ever reach it) and my fat and protein are equal at 45%. ...and i've never felt better.

Hi there MaryMary, not to be critical, but i've been trying to up my protein so i clicked over to check out your diary & percentage recommendations and i see a few problems: Even though your targets are set as you say, you are falling short of hitting those targets quite often (and many days are quite low in your net calories). Running yesterday's numbers your intake was actually 9.5% carbs, 28.6% protein and 61.9% fat.

To calculate:
    each gram of carbs = 4 calories
    each gram of protein = 4 calories
    each gram of fat = 9 calories

take each of your grams consumed at the end of your day and multiply them by the corresponding value (4 or 9) to get the # of calories consumed for each macro. Then add those up: they should be roughly equivalent to your calorie total (will be off a bit due to rounding of the gram values). Then take the (CALORIES per macro * 100) and divide that by the total calories eaten to determine your ACTUAL intake ratios for the day. ... I ran numbers on one of your other days as well and the numbers came up 16% c, 25% p, and 59% f ....

I hope you take this as helpful information and not ill-intentioned criticism. I would have sent it as a personal note but i thought others could benefit from the calculations as well
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    45%carbs
    30% protein
    25% fat

milk is better for weightloss than soy milk
    soy milk makes women big in the middle...
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Hi there, not to be critical, but i've been trying to up my protein so i clicked over to check out your diary and i see a few problems: Even though your targets are set as you say, you are falling short of hitting those targets quite often (and many days are quite low in your net calories). Running yesterday's numbers your intake was actually 9.5% carbs, 28.6% protein and 61.9% fat.

To calculate:
    each gram of carbs = 4 calories
    each gram of protein = 4 calories
    each gram of fat = 9 calories

take each of your grams consumed at the end of your day and multiply them by the corresponding value (4 or 9) to get the # of calories consumed for each macro. Then add those up: they should be roughly equivalent to your calorie total (will be off a bit due to rounding of the gram values). Then take the (CALORIES per macro * 100) and divide that by the total calories eaten to determine your ACTUAL intake ratios for the day. ... I ran numbers on one of your other days as well and the numbers came up 16% c, 25% p, and 59% f ....

I hope you take this as helpful information and not ill-intentioned criticism. I would have sent it as a personal note but i thought others could benefit from the calculations as well

like!!
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    this is turning out to be interesting .. thank you ... just read an article suggesting apple shapes try 50% complex carbs with no potatoes .. 35$ lean protein with very little or no red meat .. and 15% "good" fat ... also recommended coconut oil when cooking ...
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    45/35/20 (c/p/f/). I used to do the 40/30/30 but I teach at least 6-7 cardio classes a week and run on top of that, so I need the extra carbs ;) Working for me!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I am not the one doing 10% carbs .... please read my post before commenting .. than you ...

sorry, i didnt mean to imply that i was replying to you, the original poster,... i was trying to reply to MaryMary who was giving that advice... i will try to go back and edit that post for clarity. :flowerforyou:
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I do 10% carbs. And I do 30% protein and 60% fat. Let the judgement commence! LOL. Really, I support people doing whatever makes them feel good. This ratio has changed my life. I hope for all to find nutrition ratios that make them feel as good as mine make me feel.

And for those who may needlessly worry about mine, don't, my blood work is great :)
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    50% carb, 30% protein and 20% fat

I'm a personal trainer and that's my intake exactly. It's great! You don't burn muscle for energy because your muscles have enough energy from your carbohydrates. You have enough protein to build the muscle you're earning when you work out. And, after you build that muscle, your body becomes more efficient at consuming your unwanted fat.

The key is to make sure you're getting enough calories every day.

Best of luck to you!
  • sctaylor74
    Options
    Thats awesome! Im new to this, and I find it a little confusing because one doctor will tell me one thing about carbs while another says something totally different. I may have to try your approach. :smile:
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I am not the one doing 10% carbs .... please read my post before commenting .. than you ...

yea she wasnt talking to you... please do not be so rude... thank you...