shoes???? I need help

Options
Ok I've been working out for almost 3 months and watching what I'm eating. The shoes (and size) I've always worn are too big. I've always worn them for comfort but now that I'm working out my foot is sliding all over the place. I went to a big5 and got some advice on shoes and what they showed me to get just didn't work. Wearing the new shoes I rolled my ankle 2 or 3 times that day. not to the point of getting hurt but it rolled... This has never been a problem for me but I can only imagine what it would be like in the middle of a hard workout rolling my ankle over.

So the help I need is this. What should I be looking for in a shoe? I run very little because it hurts my ankles, knees, and heels. My workout consist of riding my bike for 40 mins to an hour or 40 mins to an hour of wII biggest loser... they have you jumping rope, "skating" from side to side, push ups, burpees, and all kiinds of other stuff. I imagine a running shoe wouldn't be good since its made to run (forward motion only) while I get a lot of side to side????

What should I be looking for?????

Replies

• tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think you would need a cross trainer shoe. It helps better with the side to side movement. I just ordered a pair from New Balance the 871. I will let you know how they work I should be recieving them today or tomorrow.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Get fitted at a sneaker store. Yes, the brand names are more expensive but everything relies on your feet. A hurting foot leads to a hurting back etc. and can have permanent damage. New Balance shoes are made in the USA! You can also try Adidas, I've had luck with them. But get fitted!!!!!!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I know you said you don't run but I say go to a running store and get properly fitted. A good running store will check your gait, stance, and how you run/walk to find you a new shoe. A good running store will also give you a 30 day money back guarantee if you use the shoes and they hurt your feet or you just don't like them. At worse they will find you a shoe that will help you in your exercising.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I went to a specialty running store and worked with them to find my perfect shoe. It ended up being the Nike Pegasus. It is a neutral shoe, but it offers everything I want and need in a shoe. Go in and talk to someone at a specialty shoe store (not FootLocker). Let them help you. :)
  • INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    My daughter and I started INSANITY a few months back....our feet were killing us from wearing our regular "sneakers". We immediately went out and purchased NIKE Frees....Crosstrainer type sneaker. Gives alot of stability for side-to-side. We both love them.....and they are very light weight!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Send a message to "daddyratty". He'll steer you in the best direction for your needs. :)
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    If your main problem is rolling your ankle, consider going with a low drop shoe with minimal stability/motion control support, such as the NB minimus line, Nike Free Run 3.0's, or Vibram Five Fingers. Barring that, get a shoe that's considered to be "Neutral."

Modern Stability and Motion Control shoes put in mechanisms that are supposed to control pronation but often make the entire platform much less stable.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    One more vote for the running speciality store. When I went they watched me walk on the floor, then on the treadmill. Then they measured my feet and pulled some shoes. You get back on the treadmill with a different shoe on each foot and after a bit, you decide which shoe suits you best. You swap out the runner-up for another shoe and the process continues until you have picked that type of shoe that fits your gait best.

Be up front with them. Tell them what you need. And since you've walked a ways in them, you know whether or not they will give you the support you need before you buy them.

1Horsetown
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Also, based on the weight in your ticker, there's a very good chance that a running store will put you into motion control or very stiff stability shoes (pretty standard for your weight/height class in that industry) regardless of your gait.
  • temperoath
    Options
    You should select shoes based on your foot type:

Overpronator=flat feet
    Underpronator=high arches
    Normal

Go to a running shoe store like fleet feet. They can analyze your foot and gait and pair it with a shoe that works for you...they will be more costly, but it can eliminate that knee and ankle pain (as long as its not caused by something else).

I super flat-footed and require motion control shoes. I use Brooks Addiction and have had great success. They are a tad heavier, but most motion controlled shoes are, and I am willing to deal with it for the pain free running!