Failing in my half marathon training

Options
Well I have been training for a half marathon since New Years. I worked my way up to running 8 miles and then got a sprained ankle. Took 4 weeks off and worked my way up to 8 again. I run 5 miles regularly with little issue and just ran 8 last Friday- it was a work out but I didn't think about quitting or walking any of it and felt great afterwards.

Today I was suppose to run 10 miles and could not get past 3.35. I run 3.35 multiple times per week at this point with no issues. So now I am trying to figure out what went wrong- I hit the 3.35 mile mark and felt sick to my stomach, week in the legs, etc...

I am trying to figure what happened- not enough calories last night, tempature outside too hot today (76 degrees and definately the hotest weather I have run in), psych'd myself out??? I don't have any friends that run marathons to pick their brains about if this is happened to them and what they can recommend so any insight is apprecaited.

Replies

• amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    good be any number of things. were you hydrated? how long had it been since you'd eaten? did you have hard workout yesterday?

i've had rough long runs because of any one of these issues, or any combination of things. it coudl also just be a mental block! in any case, don't let on bad run discourage you! everyone has them once in a while!
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    and by 'good be ' clearly i meant 'could be"...
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Proper diet and hydration are the key.

Sweat smell like ammonia by chance?
  • Behavioral
    Options
    I wouldn't call that failing. You sound successful to me. I would guess the hydration and food thing. Maybe you need to eat more b4 your run and bring along water to be sure you stay hydrated. Yes, this has happened to me.
  • mommybrain82
    Options
    I am also training for a half marathon and I will have a great run and then have a horrible one. I would take a day to rest, drink a lot of water, and if you do workout just do pilates or yoga. I would just accept it as a bad run and keep trying. Once you can run 8 you can get to 13! If this keeps happening I would get a full physical just to make sure there is nothing else going on but I bet you just had an off day.
  • MkVsTheWorld
    MkVsTheWorld Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, don't give up! :-)

I had been training for a ten miler for almost 6 months and I had a few off days. Here are some things I learned that has helped me:

It really does take time and patience.
    Do not spin your tires too much.
    Try cross-training with bicycling or swimming or even weight training or brisk walking.
    Do something that you really enjoy.
    Drink much more water. I think I drink around 2+ liters of water a day.
    Don't eat anything heavy before running.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you can get to 8 in training, you can finish a half-marathon. Even if your training never gets beyond 8 you should be fine on the big day because you'll just push yourself that little bit further. Don't overdo your training or you could get injured and miss the big day. When I completed my first full marathon I never trained farther than 16 miles, and I just did that once. I usually just went to 12 miles. A couple of years ago I was going to run another marathon, but I over-trained and injured myself and ended up sitting the race out. Listen to your body and give it a break now and then. Everybody has an off day (or a few) so don't panic. Good Luck!
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Hydrate pay attention to what you eat before a run...run 10 mins and walk 1 min on your long runs
  • rockmack
    rockmack Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, advice and encouragement. I felt so disappointed in myself but then to come as far as I have is a huge accomplishment in and of itself. My husband was glad to hear that everyone told me to drink more water because he has been telling me that for year :) Now I guess I have really have to because I am seeing the affects and I hate not reaching goals I set for myself.... I will keep at it and I will do it. IF I CAN DO 8 I CAN GET TO 13!!!
  • rockmack
    rockmack Posts: 12
    Options
    PS- my sweat did not smell like ammonia... just same old yucky sweat smell. MMmmmm! :laugh:
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I will bonk if I do not have enough sodium; which is tricky because I'm watching my sodium intake for my high blood pressure. I'll take a salt packet or high sodium electrolyte chews before a long run.

The heat would certainly contribute. And as everyone has mentioned, hydration.