TOM

Options
How do you control cravings/calories when its that time of month????

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It's not easy. I've been waiting all week for my TOM as it's been EXTREMELY difficult controlling cravings and hunger in general. I don't have any tips as I've gone over on my calories consistently so have had to put in a killer workout at night to accomodate it. :(
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    Options
    I don't :(:cry:
    it's honestly the worst time for me. I binge and crave, gain weight, and blame myself for the following week, until I get motivated again.. never ending cycle.. hoping to hear some advice from ladies who might have good tips.. so thanks for bringing up the topic:)
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    How do you control cravings/calories when its that time of month????
    Ahhh I wish I had the answer. I ate half a pizza for dinner the other night. I hate this.
  • bwyne03
    bwyne03 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has uncontrollable cravings and overeat every month. I do also feel guilty the week after. I have decided I am not stepping on the scale until the following week so I don't get discouraged!!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water and eat low calorie snacks. I have a box of special K cracker chips Im almost done with (TOM is on its way out right now), some Nature Valley 100% Natural Ganola Thins Peanut butter, Tube Fruit chillers, etc. It worked for the most part LOL!!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    oddly i don't have those cravings anymore... not since i started eating in a healthy way *L*.. and trust me, that time of the month used to be the time i always gave in to cravings for hot dogs, cheese and chocolate (not necessarily all together, *L*)
    surprised me too to find i was not longer having those cravings!
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I don't :(:cry:
    it's honestly the worst time for me. I binge and crave, gain weight, and blame myself for the following week, until I get motivated again.. never ending cycle.. hoping to hear some advice from ladies who might have good tips.. so thanks for bringing up the topic:)

I allow myself one day to pretty much go crazy during that time. I usually have one day where the craving are just uncontrollable. I still try to get small workouts in if possible. My cramps are severe & somedays it's just not going to happen. I allow myself little treats all throughout the time. Skinny Cow chocolate truffle cars are perfect! Only 100 calories and yummy!!!
  • kbarry90
    kbarry90 Posts: 48
    Options
    I've honestly never had any type of cravings during this time of the month.
  • Bubbles_09
    Bubbles_09 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Glad to no im not alone ,well I just made some brownies :) but also did a killer workout doing tae bo!!!!
  • liyahxoxo
    Options
    Bubbles - great job!!!
    and michelle- thanks for the advice :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yeah i try and fight it every month...usually i cave just a little...don't gorge, but allow yourself a little bit extra
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    Recently someone suggested getting a little more iron, more water, and a vitamins in general. I've done that the last 2 months and it actually helped. I ate a little more, but no major uncontrollable cravings. Just some that were satisfied with small little portions of nuts and red vines. Energy was decreased, but not stuck in bed decreased; just not doing a 10 mile run, but 4 was doable. (I used to go through bags of tortilla chips and bags of M&M's and ice-cream at this time so that's a huge improvement for me.) It's work trying- start about a week before or when you start feeling the pre-visit symptoms and continue until it's over.
  • liyahxoxo
    Options
    Recently someone suggested getting a little more iron, more water, and a vitamins in general. I've done that the last 2 months and it actually helped. I ate a little more, but no major uncontrollable cravings. Just some that were satisfied with small little portions of nuts and red vines. Energy was decreased, but not stuck in bed decreased; just not doing a 10 mile run, but 4 was doable. (I used to go through bags of tortilla chips and bags of M&M's and ice-cream at this time so that's a huge improvement for me.) It's work trying- start about a week before or when you start feeling the pre-visit symptoms and continue until it's over.

oh wow... that's AMAZING improvement.. good job!!! I will try it next time. thanks !:)
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    Skinny Cow ice cream and lots of will power. :)

I luckily lose my appetite for most of my TOM, but I do feel the urge to binge. I make compromises with things like fat free popcorn and low fat muffins. I drink lots of water too.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm working with a great weight loss physician, and I've started tracking the following on an excel spreadsheet. I record this every day at the end of the day using a 1-10 scale:

1) Mood
    2) Cravings
    3) Sleep Quality
    4) Quality of Food Eaten
    5) Calories Eaten
    6) Minutes of Exercise

I did something similar to this for a research study looking at PMS several years ago, and it really helped me to see the patterns for all of these things. For example, the older I get, the more I find some of these issues hit me not just at TOM but also mid cycle when ovulating. By documenting it, I feel more in control of it. I have a really hard time with cravings. Even worse, if my mood sinks, I lose interest in focusing on healthy eating and exercise (and just about everything else). I tried to paste the spreadsheeet in here but it comes out too jumbled up.

Hope it's of help to someone else!