Would you take this as a compliment?

Options
I am 37 years old, will be 38 in May. I got married very young, 18 years old, had my first daughter at age 19, 1 month before I turned 20. She is a senior this year and today we went to visit the college that she will be going to in the fall. The teachers there kept asking us why our parents didn't come. My husband is 3 months older than me so he is 38. I don't think we looked that young but everyone kept asking us and kept telling us we are too young to have an 18 year old.

People always told us that even when our kids were very little. The always think we are just the older sibling, but then when I starting gaining weight, they stop asking me. Now that I am almost thin again, people are starting to ask me again. I have 4 kids, an 18 year old daughter, a son who will be 17 in May, a 14 year old daughter and a 12 year old daughter.

Sometimes I am so embarress that I am so young and I have such big kids.

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    No. I would be totally insulted by that. I would hate that people thought I was 20 years younger than I am.
  • tmarie1213
    tmarie1213 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm only 25 and hate it when people ask me if I'm 18! Would definitely not take that as a compliment... maybe shave a couple years off, but not 20!
  • tina15
    tina15 Posts: 23
    Options
    I just want to say I am in the same situation, my daughter is 20 and my boys are 13 and 15. I will be 39 in June and I LOVE it when they think we are too young, I think with good health you preserve your age..So just know that it is a comliment and you are looking great. :)
  • megansmom311
    Options
    Absolutely! Total compliment! Be proud you look young for your age, nothing wrong with that.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT!! I'm your age and my son is your daughters age and I LOVE IT!!!! I do a lot to try to stay looking young. I love that people cannot believe that I have a 17.5 year old!!! I'll be insulted when they aren't shocked anymore (like I am when they don't ID me in clubs) Beleive me I have 5 year old twins too and I'm sure I'll never hear that with them lol... I'm actually older than a lot of the other moms of 5 year olds around. lol

ENJOY being a HOT mama!!!!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I would definitely take that as a compliment. You look younger when you are healthier. I know that was true for me. When I was 260 and 24 years old, people thought I was in my upper 30s or 40s. Now that I am 30 and 147ish, people say I look like young 20s. :smile:
  • ramius
    ramius Posts: 91
    Options
    I don't think people mean anything nasty by it.. so yes I'd take is as a compliment .. to do otherwise will only damage yourself and not them...

when I was growing my my parents had my sister later in life.. (shes 8yrs younger than me and I'm 36 now) anyway.. so one day my father took my sister with him to play golf.. and someone asked him if he and his grand-daughter would like to play through..

myself I love it when I get carded.. lol --

so I say be happy -- and enjoy it -- our time here is all too short anyway to worry about such things..

Have a great day :)
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I agree... I would take it as a compliment, you obviously look great for your age, isn't it awesome! Just means you have taken care of yourself and your skin! Definitely a compliment... I'm 28 and one of the neighbors asked how old I was, he sooo didn't believe me when I said 28, he thought 23. It was when I was like 18ish and people told me I looked like 12 that it bothered me LOL
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I am 29 and I still get carded when I buy alcohol unless it is somewhere that they know me! And when I met my ex boyfriend I was 25 and he thought I was 18 or 19. It can be a little annoying sometimes, but I figure I will really appreciate it 10 or so years down the road!
  • Nkauj_Lis
    Nkauj_Lis Posts: 70
    Options
    It's funny how people think sometimes. They either think I am the older sibling or that I am the stepmom. I am so tired of hearing it and sometimes I'm just too frustrated to tell them so I just go on pretending to be the older sibling or the stepmom.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am 35, and a full time student at a large university. Most of the students, ages 18-25 think I am their age. I LOVE IT !

bask in the glory of having great skin !
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    ya, thats a big compliment! relish it because those compliments wont always be coming! I remember being 30 and getting carded to buy beer and it never bothered me. This was before it was law for restaurants to card anyone who looks 65 and under!! Now when I get cared at 45 I know its because the little 18 yr old waitress is only doing her job, she doesnt think for a minute that I am not 21.....

so ya..... go with it! :-)
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I agree... I would take it as a compliment, you obviously look great for your age, isn't it awesome! Just means you have taken care of yourself and your skin! Definitely a compliment... I'm 28 and one of the neighbors asked how old I was, he sooo didn't believe me when I said 28, he thought 23. It was when I was like 18ish and people told me I looked like 12 that it bothered me LOL

I also have to add in... my parents were visiting about a month ago, I went to the gym with my brother who is 15-16 the people there were asking if he was my son :( I was totally upset about that since I'm only 28 LOL so ya be happy people think you are younger then you look!
  • OBXGal
    OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would definitely take it as a compliment. I got told just the other day that I look like I'm in my late 20's...I just turned 41 last month! I've always gotten that I look younger than my age and I embrace it.

I'm sure no one ever meant it to be negative that you don't look old enough to have a child old enough to be in college.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I would say compliment. I am always mistaken to be 16-17 when I am 25. I always say when I am 50 and still look 30 I will get the last laugh!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    No. I would be totally insulted by that. I would hate that people thought I was 20 years younger than I am.

You always make me laugh Heather!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It all depends how you choose to take it. being married to a man with foot-in-the-mouth-itis and often i take what he says and turn it into something i can live with. for instance "wow, you can squeeze into those jeans" = i look hot even if he said it in a way that has me dying to change pants. Things only matter with how we read into them, so be happy you look so young and hot instead of old for your age. just say thank you, i try to stay young in mind, body and heart and smile sickeningly sweet just to irritate them as they walk away. :devil:
  • Kellyr107
    Kellyr107 Posts: 43
    Options
    I am 30 with a 10 year old and those comments tickle me! My parents love it too...they are always asked if he is theirs. :) Enjoy!
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My sister and I are 11 years apart and people think we are twins. It annoys her because she is the younger one but I love it. I especially like it when some people ask which one is older, and I point to her. That really pisses her off..... which adds to my fun! :) I have always been told I look younger and I have never been insulted by it!
  • laneyb356
    laneyb356 Posts: 25
    Options
    :smile: Never be insulted :-) I am 55 and a lot of people think I am younger than that. I take it as a compliment. The worst thing to happen is when an office person thought I was my husband's daughter. He is 10 years older than me but that's it and that was very uncool. At work there was a coworker that is turning 36 and thought she was getting soooo old. I asked her if she knew how old I was (I am terrible at guessing ages). She guessed late 30's to early 40's. Told her if you feel great then you are great. She is always an upbeat person. She smiled big and told me she wanted to be in my club. I smiled big too. Through all my trials and tribulations I like to be an optimisitic person and enjoy those small glories. Long story short, compliment, definitely!!!