Darn You Sour Cream & Onion - Need Alternative

Options
Been sooo good this week. Entering my food, working out. Even tonight at dinner, had 4 oz of the 12 oz Ribeye. But oh how I loathe you Lay's Sour Cream & Onion Chips - staring at me, taunting me with your fatty goodness.

So there you have it. I lost the battle of wills! Looking tor advice on healthier alternatives

D

Replies

• sjmartinez
    Options
    Well there is nothing wrong with a snack now and then I lose my battle with ice cream now and then, like tonight...but I grabbed an apple instead. :) Sometimes you when, sometimes you lose, but what's important is that tomorrow you start out fresh.

Oh and sorry I have no alternative for the not so good for you chips :)
  • morningmom
    morningmom Posts: 100
    Options
    Have you tried the Baked Lay's? Or, I love "Popchips"....also come in sour cream & onion...low cal. and low fat.
  • nikos
    nikos Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Non/lowfat sour cream dips and veggies? You can make them pretty easy with non fat yogurt, or buy the Bolthouse brand. They make a really good low cal yogurt ranch. It doesn't taste at all like the normal fat free ranch dressings which I think are disgusting.
    Not chips, but maybe that'll help? You could slice the carrots in thin diagonals like how they do it for Chinese stir fry. Then they'd be chip shaped at least!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I always loose a battle with sour cream & onion lays... The baked alternative arent nearly as good, and they only 30-40 cals less a pack... so I'd go for the real version. sorry for being unsuportive :ohwell:
  • shrinkingsistah
    shrinkingsistah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    try popchips. all natural . zero fat . lots of fiber...and 23chips= only 120 calories!!
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    celery and lowfat/nonfat ranch dip is always my go to snack when i want something tart

as for baked lays they taste like garbage and will probably just depress you and make you want regular

if you portion out 100 calories worth of your normal chips that should be fine. try taking bites of them instead of popping the whole thing in your mouth to make it go faster

another alternative is to take some raw almonds in a bag, add half a tablespoon of olive oil, powdered ranch dip mix (probably only half) and bake in the oven at 300 for 25 minutes

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    just make sure not to go overboard on the olive oil
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Maybe try the Special K Cracker Chips in the sour cream and onion flavor instead? 27 chips for 120 cal.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    The combination of spices in this popcorn tastes almost like some sort of commercially-available cheesy/BBQ-y chip...but only 95 calories per cup. It's in the MFP food database under "McKayMachina's Signature Popcorn". I love it and munch the whole yield (4+ cups) at least once/week. Kills my chip cravings and the coconut oil acts as an appetite suppressant! :)

♥ McKayMachina's Signature Popcorn

INGREDIENTS CALORIES
    1/4 cup popping corn 120
    2 tbsp. coconut oil 240
    1 tsp. butter-flavored powder 10
    1 tsp. sharp cheddar powder 10
    * I use Land O'Lakes Seasoning *
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder 0
    1/4 tsp. chilli powder 0
    1/4 tsp. smoked paprika 0
    TOTAL ................................................. 380 calories

Yields 4 servings (about 8-10 oz. each)
    95 calories per serving

Hope this helps! :heart:

... My blog about homemade popcorn with two dessert popcorn recipes if you're interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/under-100-calorie-easy-yummy-homemade-popcorn-86922

:flowerforyou:

EDITED TO ADD: I eat my popcorn with chop sticks! Makes it last FOREVER plus it's fun. :)
  • cindywhitney
    cindywhitney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I feel more satified with the Special K cracker chips in Sour cream and onion than with the baked lays. I don't mind the baked lays, but last week I tried the cracker chips...there is closer to the potato chip taste, but are thicker, which I find I don't have to eat as many. Plus, a serving is 27 chips for 110 calories!
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you're near a Trader Joe's they have a sour cream and onion version of their Unburied Treasure (like Pirate's Booty). Here are the stats http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/trader-joes-unburried-treasure-sour-cream-onion-corn-puffs But, sometimes a small portion of the real thing is the only way to get my mind off a craving and back in the game.
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options

EDITED TO ADD: I eat my popcorn with chop sticks! Makes it last FOREVER plus it's fun. :)
    omg this is the best idea ive ever heard
    i just got some lightsaber chopsticks too

now the force can be with me even when im snacking
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    They have them baked and they are GOODDDDD
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    Sour cream and onion pop chips! They're only 100 cals a a single serving bag (18 chips)... they also have big bags and different flavors... I love the salt and vinegar, but that's just me!