Cheap but healthy food....

Options
Does anyone have any ideas for cheap by healthy food? I'm open to anything...whole meals or just snacks. My boyfriend and I spend anywhere from $120 to $180 on groceries per week. :sad:

I buy store brand stuff whenever I can, but they don't usually have low fat/calorie versions of food. I buy fresh meat, mostly because the majority of the frozen stuff is breaded.

So..... My wallet and I will :heart: you forever if you can give me a few ideas for less expensive healthy foods.

Replies

• bcakes81178
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas for cheap by healthy food? I'm open to anything...whole meals or just snacks. My boyfriend and I spend anywhere from $120 to $180 on groceries per week. :sad:

I buy store brand stuff whenever I can, but they don't usually have low fat/calorie versions of food. I buy fresh meat, mostly because the majority of the frozen stuff is breaded.

So..... My wallet and I will :heart: you forever if you can give me a few ideas for less expensive healthy foods.
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Something that could help you is go on www.coupobug.com or go to the brand websites and sometimes they offer free coupons for customers. I just got a book full of coupons for mr.clean products, lol I know thats not food but I just visited the website and signed up for it..Also try
    www.walmart.com and go to the free samples and they too also offer coupons on some health foods...
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    We make alot of soups. We have a family of five and don't spend that much a week on food. I guess I just look for sales and stock up. I will also buy in bulk and freeze part of what I make. Also when we make soups we make a ton and freeze individual servings in freezer bowls to use later.
  • gonzo1993
    Options
    Up to 180 bucks on food a week for two people.....wow! We are a family of six on one income and I spend half that. My trick is to make a menu of what I'm making for dinner at the beginning of the week and then buy groceries for those items, plus whatever else is needed. Since I have a plan, I don't buy on impulse and it saves me from buying something I may have wanted at the time and then not eating it, which is wasteful. I'm still able to purchase healthy snacks, fruits and veggies, as well as some Lean Cuisines or Weight Watcher Meals that I like to eat.

I think with proper planning you can cut your food bill down and still eat healthy! Good Luck!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Wegman's has frozen salmon and tilapia filet's- it comes as a big bag full of individually vacuum sealed cuts. I buy most of my seafood like this because I can thaw out as little or as much as I need without wasting the entire bag. It's not breaded or precooked- just fresh frozen fish. Also cheaper this way than buying it at the seafood counter.

Hope this helps. :happy:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed meals. Stick to shopping the perimeter of your grocery store. You'll have to prepare the food yourself but what you spend in time will be saved in money.
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    yeah i know its hard. Were a family of 3. My 3yr old isnt picky at all so she eats with us. She loves my healthy food and she loves my hubbys snack. I spend alot when I buy healthy but lately i been eating alot of salads while can be cheap, i eat 1/2 sandwixh's with chips, I love lean pockets, Eggs and toast for breakfast, with the lettuce and tom. for salad you can make BLT's with turkey bacon. Make big pots of soup or spagetti adn save some for later... Hope we can be a help to you... SOMEONE POST A WEEKS WORK OF GROCERIES ON A LIST ADN ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU PAYED!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'm a broke-*kitten* college student, so I like to think I've gotten good at cutting it cheap.

- Farmers markets are often your friends, or any of those smaller groceries that have produce on the outside. Very often it's local and cheap.

- In addition, check out ethnic local groceries, like if your town has a Chinatown. Very often the local groceries are much, much cheaper than the big brands. If you can't read the language on the package, you know you've gone local. At the same time, I've rarely come across one of these that did not have an English sticker-on nutrition label, so don't fear mangling your diet.

- Unsweetened frozen fruit is made of win--it's cheaper, healthier, and doesn't spoil

- Buy now, save later. If there's a sale on more of a kind of item then you usually get (like yogurt), buy em up and freeze until ready to use. You'll often spend more immediately but save in the long run.

- Start an herb garden and save on spices.

- Buy seasonal fruits and veggies if you can't do frozen. Seasonal produce is usually cheaper.

- Get to know your local butchers and bakers and smaller grocery store staff. Often they'll cut you deals on food that is running out of shelf life.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Our groceries feed me, the hubby, and a picky light-eating 3 year old. We spend between $100-$150 a week on groceries (and household items) too.

I cut corners on everything, from store brands to coupons. Haven't been able to drop the grocery bill by much. It's the little things that add up, like $2.50 for a loaf of Sara Lee 45 Calorie a Slice Wheat Bread versus $1.25 for a store brand loaf. Shopping for low calories items is expensive. :ohwell:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I spend about 400 a month to feed a family of 6. 8 if you include the animals, and their food is spendy! I recommend going through your store's ad and making your shopping list around the sale items, and then making meals out of what you have on hand. You should ask the store you shop at if they accept competitor coupons. Our store does, and I save tons with them. Between coupons and the store's ad, I usually save 35 to 50 dollars a week.