how do you overcome an injury and getting back on track?

Options
This happens so often that I'm wondering if I'm completely alone on this. I have this really awesome problem where every time I start an exercise program/routine/video, I will be going strong for 3 days full of gusto, promise and drive to keep up with the program because not only do I feel great, but in a few days i actually see (and feel) some remarkable differences. Then on the 3rd or 4th day, something happens and I end up injured, gaining back (and then some) of the weight I had started losing, and just start feeling terrible because I am off of my program for at least 2 weeks and can't see how to get back in.

Going from a super active full of life person to a dumpy couch potato because I'm *constantly* injured is starting to seriously wear on me. I am wondering, what do you do to get back on track when you have hit a bump or have gotten injured in the process of or as a result of working out?

Any suggestions on what to do that would be simple and low impact to get back into the groove and to kick this funk?

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I just had surgery - right before Christmas on my foot.
    I took a week off - doc said I had to, then went back at it.
    Got released for upper body and stationary bike.
    Don't stop. Just because you hurt a knee, or foot, or arm, doesn't mean that you cant work out the rest of your body.
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    It doesn't take much to do out or your norm and that's all you have to do, in order to lose weight, and make positive changes in your life. People think you have to go out there and sweat it out every day in order to lose weight, that is so not true.

Maybe you are hitting it too hard when you do start a routine? It's all baby steps. We don't gain weight from a day or two of over eating, we gain weight from weeks and months of over eating and not exercising. So we have to remember weight loss is a long term commitment. It does NOT happen over night.

So if you do have a day or two and you can't work out in the same manner, take small steps, concentrate on your eating and walk in place while watching TV. And don't punish yourself if you miss a day or two. Call it a cheat day and move forward. Little improvements can make a long and lasting difference.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    This happens so often that I'm wondering if I'm completely alone on this. I have this really awesome problem where every time I start an exercise program/routine/video, I will be going strong for 3 days full of gusto, promise and drive to keep up with the program because not only do I feel great, but in a few days i actually see (and feel) some remarkable differences. Then on the 3rd or 4th day, something happens and I end up injured, gaining back (and then some) of the weight I had started losing, and just start feeling terrible because I am off of my program for at least 2 weeks and can't see how to get back in.

Going from a super active full of life person to a dumpy couch potato because I'm *constantly* injured is starting to seriously wear on me. I am wondering, what do you do to get back on track when you have hit a bump or have gotten injured in the process of or as a result of working out?

Any suggestions on what to do that would be simple and low impact to get back into the groove and to kick this funk?

I get injured if I train too much too. That is precisely why I only train every other day, it gives me a chance to recover.

Although many people are fine training either everyday or six times per week, a hell of a lot of people, like you and I cannot do that without risk of injury. You could actually be overtraining.

Just cut yourself some slack, try training every other day, see how that goes, if you get no injuries doing it this way, you will be able to continue losing your weight and also be retaining your fitness.

By the way, by not training everyday, you will not lose your fitness, in fact, in your particular case, it could help you to continue for months on end without injury.
  • RaeK11
    RaeK11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is super helpful! Thank you for the tips and everything. I will try working out every other day and going at it a little less intensely. I have to admit: I do like to go full out on everything. So, dialing it down will definitely be a challenge, but it is definitely something I will try to do. Thank you!
  • AMKAG
    AMKAG Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. I ruptured a disc in 2006 and have put on 20 lnlbs (on top of 20 extra already). So I have been able to stay active, just at a different level. My new motivation is to keep moving. So I don't go ride the 30 miles with my friends on saturday any more or ski the double black diamonds all day, but I'm out there, enjoying people's company, the fresh air and moving my body.
    You don't want to push yourself to a major injury so you are in chronic pain, that sucks. I hurt every day, but I hurt if I exercise or not, so might as well move. go slow, listen to your body and get some physical therpay before a major problem. This is your journey....