Twelve weeks into my journey....

Options
Hello all, I have always had the desire to live a healthier lifestyle and to be more fit and active. My goal is to lose 30 lbs. I have lost 12 lbs in 12 weeks. I am pleased to be losing and average of a pound a week. I have tried other programs and this one has been the most successful for me. This is a lifestyle change for me and my family. We are incorporating more whole foods in our diets and my kids haven't been complaining!

I want to be able to run longer than two minutes at a time. My breathing gets in the way. I hear its all about your breathing technique. How do I change my breathing technique and how am I supposed to breath when I am running? Thanks! Jen

Replies

• farmerswife87
    Options
    Couch to 5k! I can officially call myself a runner because of C25K:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Terriwin
    Terriwin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also did the C25K and it helped me begin to see myself as a runner. What ultimately pushed me to the ability to run (although slowly) long distances without stopping is that I began running with my friend who has been running longer than me. I know what you mean about wanting to stop after two minutes because your breathing feels so erratic.

On the first day we ran together, I did my two minutes of running and told her I needed to stop, she grabbed my arm and told me to push through it. She told me that after the first mile, your body clicks into another gear, and your breathing become stable and more controlled. So I didn't stop. I fought through it (and it was hard) but after the first mile, I experienced what she told me. My breathing went back to normal and I was able to keep going.

Since February, I have learned more and more about my own running pattern. Typically, after 2 1/2 or 3 miles, I adjust my speed and I can go further and further. Only since October 2010 (if I count the C25K program, too), I am up to running 9.35 miles! I NEVER thought I would be able to do this. It used to be a struggle for me to climb the stairs at my house. Now, if I run anything under 9 miles, I consider it a short run day. Today, I ran 6.25 miles because of time constraints and I considered THAT a short run day.

So, hang in there. Talk with your doctor about what you are feeling with your breathing after 2 minutes. If there isn't a medical reason why you should stop, try to push through it, preferably with a friend around, and you may experience the second wind I now look forward to when I start out. It's amazing how our bodies readily adjust to the challenges we set.

Happy running!