Soy vs. Whey

Options
What are the differences? I recently started drinking EAS chocolate soy protein powder with coconut milk, blended with ice.
Is one better for you?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    They'll both give you protein, I personally choose not to touch soy when I have another option. Whey all the way for me:)
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Whey is dairy. Not sure which is healthier though. Sorry (:
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    Go for soy protein. Non animal sources are supposed to be healthier in the long run.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Whey, casein, and eggs are the most efficient proteins we can feed our bodies. Soy is great, but (I may be mistaken) but it's not a complete protein because it is derived from a legume. To complete the protein strand, you need to add a whole grain (oats, wheat, barley, etc.). Whey is a great option.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    whey offers more complete protein..aminos than just soy..

its hard to explain, but whey offers a higher concentration and more of the aminos..essential and non essential..soy really only offers one big one, an important one though..that is why i mix my whey with soy milk.

ps soy contains phytoestrogens, and makes it harder to lose fat if you intake too much, same with alcohol.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I personally use MRM's chocolate whey- whey works a lot faster too. Since I've been using it, I've lost like two inches in my waist. Whey helps metabolize the fat, and it helps burn it a little faster.
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Go for soy protein. Non animal sources are supposed to be healthier in the long run.

Oh no... I am sorry, but this is a bad advice.

There are so many things that went wrong with soy thanks to our food industry.

First of all, soy has one of the highest concentrations of pesticides of any farmed product, and these pesticides alone are estrogenic compounds. Not only that, but soy is also one of the most concentrated sources of phyto-estrogens.

Over-consumption of soy can lead to hormonal imbalances in both men and women due to these high levels of phyto-estrogens.
    Soy products also contain many different anti-nutrients that can be detrimental in your body.

There is a good book about it: http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Soy-Story-Americas-Favorite/dp/0967089751/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302840687&sr=8-1
    Read the book, or at least some of the reviews.

As everything else, soy needs to be consumed in moderation.
  • i_Dance
    i_Dance Posts: 30
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, I was looking for a good protein source to add in. Is a 1/2 scoop (or a whole scoop after a hard workout) of it in a shake 5 times a week bad?
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy at all costs. I've read too many negative things about it, including it being hard for the body to digest. My gastroenterologist told me not to do soy, but find other things because it was causing problems in my digestion. I am positive there are people who handle it perfectly fine, but I would say whey all the way ;-)