Underestimating calories

Options
I've been measuring EVERYTHING today and have realized that I'm underestimating my intake...by as much as a cup! Is it possible that that's the reason I'm not losing? My deficits are a lot more than I thought. If that isn't the reason, what are other reasons? My diary is open for anyone who wants to look.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you don't seem to be massively way under on most days....in fact your diary looks pretty good. My only comment would be perhaps it would help to eat more protein & reduce your carbs..to kick start some weight loss.
  • liquidsunsine
    Options
    Hi,
    Always remember, calories in = calories out. You have to burn more than you are eating, but if you're eating more than you're burning, then yes, that would prohibit you from losing weight. I too now measure things and I've been very surprised at what I've found.
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    You seem to have a pretty healthy diet as far as not a lot of processed foods. I'd suggest lowering your carbs some (maybe around 100g or a little more), add more protein if you don't have any illnesses such as kidney disease or anything, be sure of the nutritional info that's on MFP (you can double check it from other sites or the companies who make the food). Such as John durst bread is not showing carbs when I know that it actually does, also eggs have at least 1g of carbs. You may also want to add sodium to your nutritional values, because if you consume too much sodium, it is a huge hindrance on the scales - it retains water.
  • BeachLife76
    BeachLife76 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert on anything food related lol. I did look at your diary and I personally don't think you are eating enough "food." You are eating energy bars and slim fast shakes and while those are okay, they cannot make up for the amount of nutrition your body needs. I agree with what Jilly was saying about eating more protein and less carbs. Other than that, I think everything looks great! Hope this helps and good luck. P.S. I love GSP myself :), putting my 4yr old back into MMA! He loves it!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! More comments are welcome. I'll definitely try to lower my carbs. That's always hard for me. I have heart disease so I need to do that anyways. I had to go no carbs for 8 weeks and got really grumpy and tired so I don't limit those a lot, but I should probably start limiting them more. It's hard because I'm on the go a lot and there is NO food on my colleges campus that isn't really processed. Hence the abundance of powerbars in my diet lol. I just know the whole "starvation mode" thing and would hate to do that by accident simply because I thought I was eating more than I actually was!
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Your diet seems to include a lot of fruit. You might want to add sugar to the nutrients you are tracking. While fruits are healthy, they are also loaded with natural sugar. Swapping out one fruit serving/day for one vegetable serving will likely make a difference. I'd also switch to 2% milk, then down to skim. It seems like you are mixing it with powdered drink mix, so you probably won't notice the difference. Both of these suggestions were hard for me at first, but now they are just routine. Good luck!
  • mynameiscarrie
    Options
    P.S. I love GSP myself :), putting my 4yr old back into MMA! He loves it!

I'm obsessed with MMA. lol. If I ever have a son I hope to God that he will want to take some sort of martial arts classes. I love the sport! GSP > Shields any day of the week!
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you are in school, I'd lobby the food service management for more unprocessed foods. Get your friends to do the same. This is really hard for students, because they also want grab and go convenience. I know, because hubby works as a mgr in University food service. They really load up their foods with fillers, fats, and salt. At least ask for nutrition information so you know what you are putting into your body. Good luck on your final exams.!
  • mynameiscarrie
    Options
    If you are in school, I'd lobby the food service management for more unprocessed foods. Get your friends to do the same. This is really hard for students, because they also want grab and go convenience. I know, because hubby works as a mgr in University food service. They really load up their foods with fillers, fats, and salt. At least ask for nutrition information so you know what you are putting into your body. Good luck on your final exams.!

I did give comments, but it wasn't enough because they just added a hibachi place in one of the cafeterias lol my friends and i were talking about seriously doing something about it. i don't have a gallbladder so i NEED low fat foods or I get sick. I'm not the only one with health needs that require a more natural diet. I really need to look further into it. Thanks for the advice! And thanks for the luck on finals... I can't believe the semester is almost over. Luckily I have all A's so I'm not in that "I have 3 weeks to get my grades up" mindset lol.

Thanks everyone!
  • chelsealjames
    chelsealjames Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hey girl!! I DEFINITELY understand where you are coming from, with the school and unhealthy food thing! But something you will just HAVE to do... pack all your meals the night before. It is a pain in the butt! I am in nursing school, and work at a hospital. some days, i'm gone form the house 12+ hours!! last night after a 12 hour shift the last thing i wanted to do was cook. but , i baked 3 chicken breasts, and made turkey burgers with some ground turkey that was about to go bad. needless to say, i've had my 4 meals a day (still havent had dinner) and i prepared it ALL last night! i was cooking for about an hour and a half. but, if you look at my diary, its all healthy and i feel great!

also just like others are saying, stay away from the processed stuff. there is a lot of sugar and sodium in slim fast shakes and nutrition bars! if you want a shake, try finding one with no sugar and low sodium. myoplex carb advantage is pretty good.

about the carb thing... i only try to eat my carbs early in the day. none past lunch, or 3pm. and i always make sure its good carbs: rolled oats, sweet potatoes, ezekial bread, brown rice.

hope this helps!!