rest days....boo!

Options
Ok, I'm no genius, but I know rest days are as important as working out. A body needs rest to rebuild & repair. My problem is that I LOVE to eat, and the only way to have extra calories to consume is by working out. What the heck do you guys do for food on rest days?? Starve to death? I'm stressing out! I usually do 500-800 calorie workouts 6 days per week and love knowing I have that pad there to eat my calories back. What do YOU do?

Replies

• Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    eat often and light, like every 2-3 hrs have something with protein and fiber (like some almonds then later some carrots or something) things that I know aren't supre high in calories but that will keep my tummy from growling.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I just budget accordingly. On workout days I usually only go over 1200 by 200-300 so I guess it's not hard to cut those extra calories out.

Today for example, I just had a lighter breakfast and skipped a baked potato with my lunch and just added in extra veggies.
  • abaker768
    abaker768 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am feeling you. I ran up and down 7 flights of stairs twice a couple of days ago for a flippin' brownie!!!! (I'm a junk food junkie)
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Even on restdays you can work out. It doesn't (and shouldn't) be a tough workout, more something like a long walk at the beach or some other activity that is just fun to you and burns a little bit. The calorie burn isn't that huge, but it helps at least a little bit to get some extra cals for food.
    Next to that, plan your food for the rest day and try to stick with it. Load up on veggies and drink, drink, drink!!! The water will keep you full.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Conveniently, my rest day is also my free day. So I eat basically whatever I want and have no qualms about going over my calories.
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Conveniently, my rest day is also my free day. So I eat basically whatever I want and have no qualms about going over my calories.

this has actually helped me so far... i try and eat reasonably on workout days and have a free (eat) day on my rest days. i call it the dr zig zag diet..
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    I just had a talk about this with a trainer because I expressed some ambivalence about taking a rest day at all (I am a little obsessive). If I hadn't of spoken to her about this I would most likely be working out to my maximum effort every day.

She basically said that a rest day means not participating in strenuous exercise but it doesn't mean that (her words), "you have permission to sit on your *kitten* all day". On mine I still take the dog for a long walk, but I go at a leisurely pace and avoid the routes that have several steep hills (as much as possible, I live on one and this town is silly with them). I garden and do chores, shop, recycle, run errands and other light activities.

Although I am sure there are people who will disagree, from what I have read and what she told me about over-training syndrome (she is accredited and holds a PhD in kinesiology) I believe that taking a day to let yourself recover is extremely important. Do a little research, I can certainly forward the articles I read if you are interested.

So, rest days...Hooray!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Although I am sure there are people who will disagree, from what I have read and what she told me about over-training syndrome (she is accredited and holds a PhD in kinesiology) I believe that taking a day to let yourself recover is extremely important. Do a little research, I can certainly forward the articles I read if you are interested.

I totally agree! I'm in the midst of training for an event, and the workouts continue to get more and more challenging. After two miserably tiring workouts, I decided for a full rest day. I moved around and didn't sit on my *kitten*, but I didn't "work out." Yesterday, I had a great swim, and today I smoked my workout. Your body can't be stressed all the time. It needs time to recover.

So yes, Yay for Rest Days! And, indulge a bit. It's about living. Healthfully.
  • chibacca
    chibacca Posts: 13
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the quick responses :) This is my first post! Ok, so I'm sold on the rest day being an easy day (I tend to be obsessive too!) . So what about FOOD? I see some of you have cheat days/meals. Does this mean if I save some of my exercise calories each day, I can use them on my off day? I like that idea...I hope that's what yall are suggesting.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Don't "save up" calories. Just take a free day and enjoy it. If your normal calorie deficit is 500 and you go over by 500, then you've only hit maintenance calories, which is like breaking even. If you go over by 1000, then you're only over maintenance by 500, and you've only set yourself back 1 day in the scheme of things. It's worth it psychologically, and for the little metabolic boost you'll get from it.
  • BerniceB
    BerniceB Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are doing great.Good luck reaching your goal.
  • chibacca
    chibacca Posts: 13
    Options
    Well I am already at maintenance...woo hoo! So does that change the way I should view cheat day/meal? I don't have any calories to play with unless I exercise. And that sucks!!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Give yourself one day per week at maintenance. It won't effect your weight loss by much when averaged in with 6 days of deficit plus exercise.

edit: Just saw your last post. If you're already at maintenance I might aim for 50 cal under for 6 days and have 300 extra cals for your rest day... if you subscribe to the weekly calorie budget.
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    I am feeling you. I ran up and down 7 flights of stairs twice a couple of days ago for a flippin' brownie!!!! (I'm a junk food junkie)

LOL, I love this!!!

By the way, I have the same issue...I just try to eat lighter on rest days, it's the pitts!!!