Goal Weight?

Options
How did you decide on your goal weight?

Initially, I had set mine to 200lbs because it seemed overwhelming to look at the big picture.

Now it is down to 160, because that is basically the top of the "normal" part of the weight chart for my height.

My goal is to be in a size 10 and I hope that 160 would put me there, but I am guessing I will have to reevaluate at some point.

Just curious how other people came to their choice of a goal weight.

Replies

• DjBliss05
    Options
    How did you decide on your goal weight?

Initially, I had set mine to 200lbs because it seemed overwhelming to look at the big picture.

Now it is down to 160, because that is basically the top of the "normal" part of the weight chart for my height.

My goal is to be in a size 10 and I hope that 160 would put me there, but I am guessing I will have to reevaluate at some point.

Just curious how other people came to their choice of a goal weight.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Like you I used a weight chart to set mine.
    I have broken mine up into mini-goals as well (that's what my ticker shows). So I am not sooo overwhelmed by the big picture.
    I am hoping to ultimately get down to 130ish....However my ultimate goal right now is to lose 30 lbs before my fiance gets home from Iraq.
    Wish me luck...I am gonna need it.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Well, when I first started, I never in a million years even thought it would really work. So, I just picked the number 158. But, when I actually started losing, and decided that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE I COULD lose the weight that I wanted to, I changed my goal to 148. I'm pretty tall, so if I get much under that weight, I'm sure I'd have everyone telling me that I'm just TOO thin.
  • mellymlk
    mellymlk Posts: 187
    Options
    After my second baby I got down to 145 and was in a size 7. So I new that I could get there since that was my after baby weight before.
    I know I'll never be tiny so I'll be way happy with that :happy:
    Oh and I'm only 5'2 with 3 kiddos
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I said 150 cause I can do it! I started around 240 sooo almost 100pounds sounded reasonable!
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 160, that is what I was before I got pregnant and was quite happy there, not that I have to settle for that, if more comes off along the way....even better!!
  • bricker06
    Options
    I used the bmi calculator. I went by what it said was a healthy weight and went with the higher end. It ranges from 119 to 159 i would love to be at about 150. That would be my goal but the realistic side is at what number will i be able to maintain. I have friends who went to weight watchers and got down to their goal weight but couldnt maintain. According to weight watchers my weight should be 130-135. I think i would look sickly and really dont think i could maintain. I want to be a size healthy at what ever weight i can maintain.
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" tall and was 125 before baby and a year of some indulgment. 125 is a comfortable weight for me...and I feel it is achievable for me
    That would put me right in the middle of the normal weight range for my height.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I picked 125 because it was in the low middle of the healthy BMI calculator. It was at 130 but 7 more lbs at this point just don't think would quite cut it so I put it at 125. I just have to keep motivated...I hate short days and cold weather...I want to sleep and eat, sleep and eat, sleep and eat :grumble: But I'm gonna push myself. I was doing good last week and came down with the flu and well that's the end of that. After I felt better, I ate like a pig Sunday because it had been so long since I ate normally. But feelin good and gonna get my workout in tonight...so far so good on the calories for the day :drinker:
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I picked 125 because i knew i would feel better at that weight and look better.

I also used the BMI.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    138 was my high school weight, and it's in the upper middle of my healthy BMI range.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I picked 150 because it is within my healthy range (high end) As an adult, I have never weighed less than 175lbs so I figured I'd feel amazing in the 150s... not so! Aftfer I reach my 150 goal, I plan to keep trying for 135 (still within my healthy range). :flowerforyou:
  • bhdb
    bhdb Posts: 17
    Options
    I used a BMI tool similar to the one on this site to get some sort of idea of my ideal weight range. I'm a tad muscular so it doesn't work on me too well but I found it helpful anyhow. And I also looked at some old photos of myself.. I lost quite a bit of weight some years ago and even though I was classified as "normal" in the end, I considered myself to look too thin. So basically I just combined bits and pieces of information and chose a goal. I'm trying to approach it carefully in case it turns out to be too little weight for me. I wish to look healthy, not malnourished :smile:
  • juanitagf
    Options
    I used two methods.

1. I wanted to get back to the weight I was when I got married--135. 2. I checked with the BMI calculator and went ahead and chose to go with it as it was in the middle of my healthy BMI range.

I am now at 132.5 and love my size. I had considered going lower, but am really happy where I am now.
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4". Right now I weigh 140.6 (as of my weigh-in on Friday). The lightest I've ever been was 131 in 2000 the summer after I graduated from high school. I have the goal weight of 115 right now but I don't know if I'll ever be able to get to that. My husband tells me he thinks I'd look bad that skinny. I'm trying to set goals along the way. First it was 140 (my prepregnancy weight), then it'll be 135 (my wedding weight), then 131 (my lowest weight) so I guess I'll see as I lose.
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Well, I was 130-135 all through high school. I got up to 240 with my 1st pregnancy, lost down to 150. Got up to 217 with my 2nd pregnancy then down to 147 (only 4 years between those 2 children) Needless to say after a nasty divorce and "life" I let myself go. My husband now has never cared about my weight and continually tells me how beautiful and sexy I am. With my 3rd pregnancy I was so proud for only gaining 35 pounds BUT that still put me at 232 pounds. I have set my ultimate goal for 135 pounds however my BMI puts me at a healthy 22% at 141 pounds so right now I am just taking one pound at a time and when I think I look great and feel happy and healthy then I know I will have reached my "goal"!:happy:
  • AtlantisFish
    Options
    I'd like to be 135 if I can
    but since I hope to be a runner/biker (I would love to do the iron man) I might not be able to get that low b/c of muscle weight

I would like to be a size 6/8 and wear sm/med shirts (depending on 'girls' size LOL)

hopefully one day
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I set mine by what I used to be before my break up 5 years ago, Am 5' 1" and small framed, I had only varied by around 8/9 lbs for the best part of 15years.prior (98 - 106 lbs Looked like a stick straight up and down but was comfortable with it ...
    Happy with what I am now (107 - 108lbs) trying to maintain and tone the flabby flesh up :bigsmile:
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have been heavy my entire life, so I started off small--get to 150 pounds (about a 40 pound loss.) Somewhere in the middle of that, I decided to go for broke. I looked at the BMI range for a 5 foot tall woman, and the range was something like 97 to 127. Taking into consideration that I have a curvy form, and that I would like to be able to maintain the weight, I picked 125. I may push a little lower to 120, but I'll figure that out once I get to 125 (14 pounds away!)