Are you ladies worried about becoming bulky if you lift weig

Options
Here's something for all of you to consider. This is 9 YEAR OLD Naomi Kutin, a 90lb pre-teen girl
who lifts more than most of the guys in your gym.

187 pound squat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQHrAjb1tzk&feature=player_embedded
193 pound deadlift - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6YcCFbFSAY&feature=related

She's not "bulky" or "too muscular", now is she?

Strength is a skill, and this 90lb 9 year old girl already has enough muscle mass to lift nearly 200lbs
in the squat and deadlft without any appreciable muscle mass. She simply taught her body to
express that strength.

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    OMG! Her stats are so close to mine and she is half my age :O so crazy!!!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It's really detrimental to lift that much at her age. Can stunt her bone and muscle growth.

BUT it's true that we women don't bulk to huge without steroids. We just don't have the testosterone levels.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, your post will be ignored. Most women still prefer to be fluffy and still believe that lifting more than three pounds will make them into The Incredible Hulk.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm not disagree with you, but given this thread, maybe you can give me some answer to a question I have. I added strength training into my workout routine. Just 2 times a week for about 15 or 20 minutes each time. I am lifting only around 4 lbs because I'm still a beginner and I want to make sure my form is impeccable before I add more weight. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks, and I am starting to see some definition and a little bit of muscle "peeking through" on my upper arms that was never there before, but ONLY when I flex. Otherwise, my arms still look as thick as they always have, and I can see no definition. I've taken measurements and I haven't lost even a cm around. Most people on here would say that I have to do cardio to burn the fat that's on top of the muscle I'm building (the kind I'm seeing when I flex), but I'm doing cardio 4-6 times a week. 4 of those I am doing 45-60 min of high intensity cardio (my HR is usually in the 160s but often gets up to the upper 180s in some of the more difficult classes I go to). So does this mean my arms will never be slim and shapely? I'm confused. Because I don't think I'm doing not enough cardio. I should also add that while I've only been doing the strength training for about 3 weeks or so, I've been doing the cardio for like 6 weeks. Have I just not been doing things long enough? If so, when should I expect to see changes starting?
  • amandaroland80
    amandaroland80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, your post will be ignored. Most women still prefer to be fluffy and still believe that lifting more than three pounds will make them into The Incredible Hulk.

LOL! Now that I've become a personal trainer I hear this ALL THE TIME! It's so ridiculous! I tell these people, well when you start bulking up we will cut back (wink, wink) but until then get to lifting and let's rev up that metabolism!!
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    ^^ Edit: to post two above:

You can't build muscle mass while on a calorie restriction diet. You can tone (and you have), but while you're doing cardio and trying to lose weight you can't really bulk much muscle mass.

Takes calories to build muscles!

Strength training is still a good idea at this stage, because it's good for you, but you won't build any bulk while on calorie restriction.
  • estepteau
    estepteau Posts: 146
    Options
    totally agree! My first 2 months working out I gained 6lbs in muscles. Then for almost 4 months just inched my weight down. As I contiuned to build muscles. Now my metabolism is so HIGH that I can stop the weight loss...10 months later. I really works. My hubby taught me that. I wish more women would not be so scared of weigh training. Women always complain about men losing weight so fast....Its because they have MORE muscles!!!
  • amandaroland80
    amandaroland80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not disagree with you, but given this thread, maybe you can give me some answer to a question I have. I added strength training into my workout routine. Just 2 times a week for about 15 or 20 minutes each time. I am lifting only around 4 lbs because I'm still a beginner and I want to make sure my form is impeccable before I add more weight. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks, and I am starting to see some definition and a little bit of muscle "peeking through" on my upper arms that was never there before, but ONLY when I flex. Otherwise, my arms still look as thick as they always have, and I can see no definition. I've taken measurements and I haven't lost even a cm around. Most people on here would say that I have to do cardio to burn the fat that's on top of the muscle I'm building (the kind I'm seeing when I flex), but I'm doing cardio 4-6 times a week. 4 of those I am doing 45-60 min of high intensity cardio (my HR is usually in the 160s but often gets up to the upper 180s in some of the more difficult classes I go to). So does this mean my arms will never be slim and shapely? I'm confused. Because I don't think I'm doing not enough cardio. I should also add that while I've only been doing the strength training for about 3 weeks or so, I've been doing the cardio for like 6 weeks. Have I just not been doing things long enough? If so, when should I expect to see changes starting?

4 to 5 days of cardio with interval training for 25-60 minutes
    3 days of strength training

Change up your routine at least every 6 weeks to keep your body from adapting. Add more weight when you can do more that 8-12 reps without difficulty.
  • agdeierl
    Options

You can't build muscle mass while on a calorie restriction diet. You can tone (and you have), but while you're doing cardio and trying to lose weight you can't really bulk much muscle mass.

Strength training is still a good idea at this stage, because it's good for you, but you won't build any bulk while on calorie restriction.

I think you were referring to my post? Let me clarify: I guess I'm not as concerned about "bulking up" as I may have sounded in that post. I personally see a ton of women that do strength training and have gorgeous, very slim and shapely, "yoga arms", you probably can picture what I'm talking about. So I do think that strength training can give you that. What I'm asking is how come with all this cardio and adding strength training in, my arms haven't gotten any smaller? And how come the definition only shows when I flex?
  • Naomi91
    Options

It is difficult to gain any muscle while reducing calories, so you will not be build much if any at all. Strength training at this stage will help you from further breaking it down while you are on low calorie.

Most people can gain 5-10 pounds a year with that person gaining 10lb probably is taking supplements and is in the gym all the time! *lift lift lift* lol taking about natural gain btw
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I WISH it was that easy to get a muscular physique!!! But sadly, it takes an incredible amount of training and eating just right to look like the women in Oxygen magazine (fitness models/bodybuilders). If I get halfway there I'll be one very happy woman!
  • Naomi91
    Options

I think you were referring to my post? Let me clarify: I guess I'm not as concerned about "bulking up" as I may have sounded in that post. I personally see a ton of women that do strength training and have gorgeous, very slim and shapely, "yoga arms", you probably can picture what I'm talking about. So I do think that strength training can give you that. What I'm asking is how come with all this cardio and adding strength training in, my arms haven't gotten any smaller? And how come the definition only shows when I flex?

Arm fat takes a long time to lose. I am close to my goal weight and can start to see ab definition, but still have flab on my arms. Takes time, just keep with your cardio and you will have slim arms eventually. the yoga girls with "yoga arms" are normally very lean with a lower body fat % and that is why.

Lower your body fat % and you will see better results. You only see definition when you flex because you have too much fat settled there still. And you are moving the muscle when you flex, making it appear bigger haha your muscles are like that all the time
  • agdeierl
    Options

4 to 5 days of cardio with interval training for 25-60 minutes
    3 days of strength training

Change up your routine at least every 6 weeks to keep your body from adapting. Add more weight when you can do more that 8-12 reps without difficulty.

Ok, thanks for the specifics. :smile: If you don't mind, I'll tell you a little more about the cardio classes I go to, so you can help me understand where i fall in how it's categorized...? Monday I go to a bootcamp class, it's very traditional football conditioning type stuff, advanced cardio, drills, we do a lot of resistance training using body weight rather than hand weights, though sometimes we use those too. So I count that as a day of strength training, even though it is not strictly strength training. The class is an hour long. Tuesday I go to zumba, which is obviously straight cardio, though we do TONS of squats. Also an hour. Wednesday I go to a class called "pump", which is a classic interval training class, bits of cardio mixed with reps with hand weights, weighted balls, pushups, some pilates type stuff-- I also count that as strength training since we use weights for a huge portion of the class. Then Thursday I have zumba with the same instructor as tuesday, so we do more squats and dance. Friday-Sunday I either get on the elliptical for 45 min with intervals of intense resistance added in or I power walk...A LOT. and that's about it. I try to take it pretty easy on Sunday, because bootcamp is on Monday and it is TOUGH. So from your post, it sounds like you think I should be doing straight cardio for 4-5 days a week and then 3 days of nothing but strength training? Is that right? How long for the strength training?
  • agdeierl
    Options

Arm fat takes a long time to lose. I am close to my goal weight and can start to see ab definition, but still have flab on my arms. Takes time, just keep with your cardio and you will have slim arms eventually. the yoga girls with "yoga arms" are normally very lean with a lower body fat % and that is why.

Lower your body fat % and you will see better results. You only see definition when you flex because you have too much fat settled there still. And you are moving the muscle when you flex, making it appear bigger haha your muscles are like that all the time

Well, first of all, I see NO flab on your arms, girl!!! :huh: Also yeah, you're right about yogi girls. It's because they eat nothing but rabbit food, and a lot of them are actually a little sickly looking they're so skinny...which is not the look I'm going for.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Sorry, I found this comment completely unnecessary and a bit insulting. Some women actually want to be strong, healthy and fit.
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    We women do store a lot of fat in arms. Guys store more in the gut, we store more in the arms, thighs, and bums, and then gut.

So yeah lower BF% is probably your answer.
  • agdeierl
    Options
    We women do store a lot of fat in arms. Guys store more in the gut, we store more in the arms, thighs, and bums, and then gut.

So yeah lower BF% is probably your answer.

Well that's pretty obvious. That's why we're all here, isn't it? :flowerforyou: Let me just go manually change my bf%! :tongue: Well I'm staying within my calories and eating healthy. Once a week I relax a little and go out with my boyfriend for one meal. I eat "regular" food there but eat small portions. And I'm working out of course, so I hope that will lower my bodyfat percentage...don't know what else I can do besides all that! I'm certainly not going to give up "bad" foods altogether.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options

oh man.... is this where ive been going wrong?? ive been trying to add muscle to my frame but i love my cardio work outs (3/4 times a week.....) so does this mean while im doing this much cardio despite doing body pump twice a week and free weights/weight machines once a week i cannot gain the muscle ive been trying to?
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Worried about becoming bulky? All that wonderfully calorie burning muscle? I only wish it was that easy!

Even when I worked out "seriously" when I was in my 20s, and had low body fat my musculature was pretty pathetic. Now I'm overweight and in my mid 40s with creaky joints, I am increasing my strength a lot, but realise that I don't stand much of a chance of getting bulky with muscle.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Sorry, I found this comment completely unnecessary and a bit insulting. Some women actually want to be strong, healthy and fit.

She wasn't saying we don't want to be. Not fluffy in the fatty sense, in the cautious kind of sense.
    I agree, too many women are worried about it. We can look sexxxxxy too ;)