Who has plantar fasciitis? ugh

Options
OMG I'm so irritated by this injury. Does anyone else have some suggestions for getting rid of plantar fasciitis. I injured my foot doing box jumps about 3 months ago and it is still really bothering me. I have to wear sneakers when I do my interval/boxing classes at the gym- I cannot workout barefoot anymore and when I run it really hurts especially the first mile. I've tried ice (only twice because no one likes ice on their foot!) and some Motrin but nothing is making it go away. Any help out there? :-( Thanks!

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't have but I have a couple friends who both have to wear orthotics all the time in their shoes, never go barefoot and have had it come back when they did not do those things consistently. Good luck.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have it. Regular massage on the calf helps a lot, so does wearing good shoes all the time. I'm rarely barefoot anymore. Also keep a towell or belt near your bed and stretch your foot before getting up in the morning. A dr can prescribe and anti-inflammatory that helps and go see a podiatrist for custom orthotics. It will heal over time.
  • jkd1214
    jkd1214 Posts: 27
    Options
    I have this and I wear Super Feet. I wear the green ones and they make all the difference. They take a little time to get used to. If you go to a running store that carries them they will be able to tell you which ones you could benefit from. Good luck!
  • lassie42
    lassie42 Posts: 6
    Options
    I do, I do. And it SUCKS. A tip a physiotherapist told me was when you wake up in the morning, before you get out bed, to stretch. She suggested spelling out the alphabet with your foot. It stretches your heel area without retearing. It seems to have helped me out. I also wear orthotics. Best investment EVER. Good luck :smile:
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have it. I wear orthotics and I wear Shape-ups.
  • toodleton
    toodleton Posts: 82
    Options
    I used to have a lot of pain from it but once I started wearing inserts in my shoes it hasn't bothered me much since. They make braces you can wear to sleep in that stretches the foot to alleviate that pain and also stretching exercises help, you can find some online for p.f. just google it, hope you find relief soon :)
  • shonastack
    shonastack Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have P.F., but it rarely bothers me anymore. I am a nurse and work 12 hr shifts, on my feet almost the whole time. I switched to wearing Dansko Professional Clogs and my foot pain went away completely after the first few weeks. I also started stretching my calves and hamstrings a couple times a day (a good 1 min stretch on ea side) which I think has also helped. Tried orthotics before the Danskos and they did nothing for me. Hope that helps - good luck!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I have it and wear custon orthotics in my work shoes, but can get away with no orthos in my running shoes if they have really good arch support (=$$$$$$). To my knowledge it doesn't ever "go away"--you will always have it and will be prone to painful flare-ups if you don't take care of your feet. Having said that, I rarely have foot pain now that i wear the proper shoes and my orthotics--I do still wear cute heels from time to time, but I make sure I won't be doing a lot of standing or walking when I wear them. I also make sure to buy sandals and flip flops w/ good arch support--I even go barefoot most of the time at home w/out repercussions. Bottom line--take care of your feet! :smile:
  • DiscipleN2k
    DiscipleN2k Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've got it. Apparently running and plyo tore me up. I've got to try to stay off of it and just ice it, stretch it, and keep taking ibuprofen until my next run in May :(
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi
    There are many things you can do to treat your plantar fasciitis. I had plantar fasciitis for about a year and I discovered that treatment is individual - Things that work for one will not always work for the other. The good news is that you have many treatments you can try but you must be persistent and patient.
    I have found a good plantar fasciitis treatment review website in:
    http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/How_is_Plantar_Fasciitis_Treated.html
    There are many self care treatments ideas in there but I think you should consult a podiatrist before you do something.
    Icing or cold therapy is used to reduce inflammation so if you want to reduce your pain symptom you can apply ice. I prefer to roll a frozen water bottle.
    Take care
  • ginalhorst
    Options
    I wanted to let you all know I got a cortisone shot in the heel on THursday! OUCH!! But- the pain is almost gone. I'm trying my first workout since I had it this morning, a lower intensity Zumba Kick class. I promised the dr. I wouldn't workout especially running for 3 days so maybe tomorrow if it's feeling good I will try a run. I"m also taking 3 motrin 2 times a day and trying to ice it at night. I can't imagine not having this pain after 3 months of it- at least! I'll let you know how it goes today. Thanks for all the comments! :-)
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had tried everything and was still having some pain. I went to a running shoe store to have my gait checked. It turns out i over pronate very badly and my shoes gave me no support. I got the right shoes and some super feet and have had almost no pain since, even when running.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have it, but I barely ever notice it anymore since I started wearing orthotics and buying shoes with exceptional support. I spent a couple of of years in a lot of pain and being VERY VERY careful about my feet and can now do karate and kickboxing barefoot again. I still wear orthotics for walking and running, and I'm extremely careful about what kind of shoes I buy for work.

I can't stress enough how much difference orthotics and better shoes made for me. All the other stuff (nsads, ice, rest, stretching) is important while you are experiencing pain, but good shoes are the key to being painfree over the long term.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You need to ice, keep a sock on and use coke bottles they fit the foot perfect! Ice for about 10-15 minutes at least 2x per day. Also, stop motrin and switch to Aleve, same basic medicine but the Aleve is an over the counter version of what my foot doc was going to prescribe for pain, take 2 every 12 hours for about a week and then reduce that to one every 12 and then one a day and then none as the pain gets better.

KEEP MOVING, one of the biggest misconceptions is that you shouldn't do anything when in fact not doing anything makes the problems worse. Walking is best until you get it under control, make sure ifyou pronate or have flat feet you need to get a good insert for your shoe to help keep your arch and the tendons in the correct position.

I used an arch wrap, you can buy them in the foot care section of walmart for about $5 each, I slept in them, this keeps the tendon along the bottom of the foot in its proper position over night and will help eliminate the first thing in the morning out of bed tear.

OF course stretch, you can find plenty of exercises and stretches online.

I had it so bad that I could not walk on anything but my toes on my right foot for about 2 months and it was chronic pain for about 6 months and after being very diligent with the icing, I ice after every run now, and taking aleve (I take one if I feel any onset of symptoms), wearing tennis shoes everywhere and getting good inserts from my doctors office, not the cheapy ones in the store (the ones from my doctor cost less and were better quality for sure) I can say that I can now wear sandals or dress shoes out and FINALLY go bare foot in yoga again and I have been absolutely pain free for over a year.

Hemlock2010 is soooo right, orthotics will help, they can be expensive, I went with the insert from my doctor and started buying shoes that fit my foot type better and it made a world of difference right away. I didn't find any true relief until I went to the foot doc and found out exactly what my foot issues were and how to properly correct them.
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a real sad story for PF. I was in training to run my first Marathon race. PF started in, I continued until I just couldn't take it anymore. I tried babying it, the whole nine yards. I went to OP DR who gave me a brace to sleep in and exercise treatment for the foot, nothing seemed to help. When I stopped running and my friends knew how much it killed me during that time , they planned a trip to NYC. I knew I'd never make the walking around. Went to DR and got the Shot in foot.....didn't really hurt all that bad......pain went away, first relieve in months!! He fitted me with inserts which now days i only wear them to workout in-everyday. NO PAIN ever since-been 3 yrs. `
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I had surgery to fix mine. I had a extreme case though. I was told by my podiatrist that sadly weight is a factor. The more weight you have the more it compresses the nerves. I also have the orthotics, and I wear them at work only now, just because. I am a surgical tech and am on my feet all day. It is an easy 10 minute surgery with a 1 inch scar. I did the injections, taping the feet, stretches, even a cast to keep the foot in the stretched position. nothing helped. but after surgery, good as new!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I get flare ups when I make bad shoe choices. I was dying this morning after working out in my shape-ups the day before. Dansko clogs and Merrel shoes keep me out of trouble.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I have had it for over a decade and a half - - when it's been super bad I have to take Schiff Glucosamine & Chondroitin - that brand and Solgar brand work to HEAL it. Can't say it ever goes away, but I wear Crocs all the time and I do my cardio on a really thick jigsaw interlocking mats from Nefitco - 1.1" and they work really well for running at home barefoot and all my exercises. When it's been acute the G & C really help! Give it a try - but only those 2 brands. I've tried other brands without success.
  • lainieg
    lainieg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with this for the last 4 yrs. It is a bother, stretches and icing it. But definately good shoes, i found a store that had a dr scholls kiosk. It told me which inserts to get for my feet and they have helped alot. They ran about 50 bucks, hope that helps and good luck to u.
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    My two cents in addition to all of the good advice you've already gotten here...

I had it for years, exercised through pain for years. Didn't take care of it and ended up with posterial tibial tendon dysfunction (PTTD), which means that I have no tendons in the bottom inner sole of one of my feet, now placing extreme pressure on the remaining tendons on the right side, and with extreme limitations for high impact exercise. Will need to push at Kaiser to get the surgery necessary for any type of correction.

if I'd taken care of the PF, would not have ended up in this boat - wearing custom orthotics now helps, as does physical therapy. There are a slew of exercises that I do every morning. Wish I'd learned about all of this earlier - it would have made a world of difference. Good shoes, special exercises, good orthotics, all might have prevented this.

Good luck, however you decide to handle it!