C25K--I am no runner!

Options
I am no runner...but I just brought the C25K app as I know running is the best way for me to loose the weight (as I am bulking up to much muscle in my legs.

Any who off topic...does any one have this app...how do they find it..is it any good?

Replies

• Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    I've just finished week 8 of C25K and I can't praise it highly enough. Although I've always been a keen walker, before I started C25K I couldn't run more than a few yards without total exhaustion. I won't claim that the program has been a doddle, you need to push yourself and stick at it, but it really does work!
  • rebeccalippett
    rebeccalippett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I haven't got C25k (never heard of it! What is it?!) , but I can vouch that running is an awesome way to lose weight. I lost 28 lbs last year from running. And when I started I couldn't run for longer than a minute! I now run half marathons and hope to do a marathon soon. It's a fantastic way to keep the weight off!

I found that, once I could run for a half an hour without stopping, it really helped to join a running club. It pushes you a little bit further than you would push yourself and they do regular speed work and hill training etc... that improves your fitness, speed and power.

Good luck with the running. Keep it up!!!

B xxx
  • fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Never thought I'd be a runner either -- honestly never thought I would be good at anything athletic! -- but wanted to burn more calories and knew running would do it so I tried C25K. As of yesterday I have won 1st place in my age bracket twice, 3rd place once, and didn't place twice. One of my 1st place ones was my first 5K. Had no idea I did that well so I didn't stay for the awards. Didn't know I won until I saw the stats online later -- of course, they don't mail out the metals so I didn't get anything.
  • rebeccalippett
    rebeccalippett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow that's amazing!!! Well done! What a shame you never got your medal!

I think that training for races is a great motivator as well. Your workouts then have a purpose rather than it just being weight loss.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have started to use C25K this week - donloaded it and have integrated it with my walking /cross trainer plan - and i too thought I would never run again. Yet it works - the truth to running is you have to re-programme your mind to believe it can be done, then you are 95$ there - the rest is the physical bit and that just takes time
    remember to stretch and loosen up all those muscles before you start pounding along - believe me that helsp so much when you are doing this to return to a health lifestyle -
    good luck and believe

Matt
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've downloaded the UK NHS podcasts and I am soooo not a runner. It's taken me 3 weeks, and yesterday I did day 1 fully for the first time.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I haven't got C25k (never heard of it! What is it?!) , but I can vouch that running is an awesome way to lose weight. I lost 28 lbs last year from running. And when I started I couldn't run for longer than a minute! I now run half marathons and hope to do a marathon soon. It's a fantastic way to keep the weight off!

I found that, once I could run for a half an hour without stopping, it really helped to join a running club. It pushes you a little bit further than you would push yourself and they do regular speed work and hill training etc... that improves your fitness, speed and power.

Good luck with the running. Keep it up!!!

B xxx

Totally agree about the running club. I am a member of my local Womens Running Network and this has improved my stamina considerably and kept me running outside through the winter.
    Best of luck
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I finished c25k a few months back after using the app. I'm now running 5k every other day and sometimes more, which is'nt bad for a 45 year old ex heavy smoker who used to be well into the obese catagory :happy:

Its amazing how quickly you improve if you stick with the plan. When I started, I really struggled with running for even a few minutes at a time, but now 30 minutes is easy and sometimes I find myself doing more.

One thing I would suggest however is a good pair of properly fitted running shoes as it can be very stressful on the legs. Also, try and find a group on MFP that are starting c25k at about the same stage as you and join that as the support makes a world of difference. Good luck
  • kym38
    kym38 Posts: 48
    Options
    I finished the C25K last fall, I never thought I could even run around the block. Now I'm addicted to running & will run my first Half in May!
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner. I hate running. I just started my c25k program last week. In the beginning of the week I could barely run 2 minutes straight without praying for death as my shins felt like they were literally going to snap in half. 7 days later I'm able to run .5 miles without stopping... it takes me 7.5 minutes, but I can do the full 7.5 minutes w/o stopping. I'll take it!!

Baby steps to the gym, baby steps on the treadmill, baby steps to 5k...

After every workout:

billmurraywhataboutbobi.jpg
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    HA! I just realized I'm 2 years too late on this board. : )

Eh, oh well.
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1.
    I do my time on a treadmill.
    It's just too cold for me to run outside right now.
    I haven't lost a single ounce sense I started.
    I was doing great before so I will start loosing again.
    That said I am really enjoying the C25K and I will stick with it, if it doesn't kill me first.
    The weight has got to start going down.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 and enjoying it. Some days are better than others. I have to remind myself to run slow/walk fast otherwise I get too burnt out but getting there.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    C25K made me a runner. I ran my 1st 5k in November before I even finished the program. When I first started I could barely do the 1 min straight run. I now do 25 min & feel like I could do more! I have never been a runner. Even in HS I couldn't run a mile straight without walking. My 37 yr old self has kicked the butt of my 16 year old self! I can now do 2.5 miles non-stop. I can't rave about this program enough!