How do you stop the cycle of bad eating?

Options
I am definitely an emotional eater. I've had bad eating habits all of my life, and I am beginning the process of retraining my thoughts on food and eating. I'm not going to lie... it's super difficult. One area that I find especially hard, it when I do "mess up" or have a very over-indulgent meal, I somehow convince myself that it is ok to basically "blow-off" the rest of the day and eat whatever I feel like (whether I'm hungry or not). I tell myself I'll start again tomorrow. I know this is very damaging, and this is an area I would especially like to work on. I know that I won't always be perfect, and that food is made to be enjoyed, so I'm working on finding that balance. How do you deal with days like that in your life?

Thanks for your input!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Well, I think it's okay to tell yourself that tomorrow is a new day. But only if you actually start fresh the next day.
  • purpl3sox
    purpl3sox Posts: 38
    Options
    Best thing to do is to just avoid those days in the first place. Once I get off track for the day I am pretty much done for, so I have found a bunch of ways to not get off track. I plan all of my food for the day, cook it and put it in a cooler. Every three hours I eat what I said I was going to eat and thats it. If I am going out to a restaurant I figure out what I am going to have before hand, and only order that. What also makes a world of difference for me is when I started I threw away all of the foods that I would over eat when I got upset and I dont keep them in my house anymore. I know that if it is not in my house I am not going to go out of my way to go get something to binge on. Those are a few of the things that help me. And avoiding the guilt. Don't let yourself guilt yourself over messing up, we all mess up now and again, accept it, and plan for how to avoid messing up the next time something comes up.
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    When I eat a bad meal, instead of saying tomorrow is a new day and I will start over, I say my next meal is a new start and I eat well for my next meal. I think this journey is one meal at a time not one day at a time. The more you start making good choices the better you will start feeling. The better you start feeling the more you will want to make good choices. One meal/snack at a time:wink:
  • Irishwench
    Options
    Personally I am the same way, and what helps me is having a cheat day. Every Sunday is my cheat day. I'm allowed to eat whatever I want but in small portions. I tend to stay pretty healthy only having maybe one or two things that aren't so great for me. But if I start craving something through out the week I just say I can have that Sunday if I still want it. Most the time I don't. If that doesn't work, then even if you mess up one meal, just go right back to eating healthy for your next meal. I find when we say I'll do it tomorrow we never do. But if with your next meal you just go right back to how you want to eat to give yourself a healthier lifestyle i find most people can stick with it. We all make mistakes, we all crave things. And I do agree with purpl3sox, avoid the guilt.
  • maureak
    maureak Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had one of those days yesterday where I ate more in the mid-morning than I would normally eat. What always stops me from completely throwing away the entire day is to log what I ate right away, and I mean everything. When I do that, it brings me back to reality and helps me to stay on track for the rest of the day. I may end up going over but I don't go over by that much.

My triggers are being bored - I am a multi-tasker during the week and find that the weekends are challenging to stay busy, especially when it's not nice outside and I'm stuck inside. What helps me (when I remember to do it), is to make myself a list of things to get done on the weekend, and to especially keep myself out of the kitchen!

Good luck! You will find something that works for you to avoid emotional eating.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I agree with EVERYTHING all the other posters said and the only thing I would add is that I used to be an emotional eater too. The thing that has helped me release alot of the stress and anxiety and even a little depression is to WALK. I started walking every day at the very beginning of my journey and it has opened a whole new world for me! I can work out most problems while walking. I release endorphins while walking that make me pretty happy for the rest of the day. And best of all, I burn calories when I walk. I tell everyone I know- walk every day!
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far. I have had a little success so far in losing the weight, but I will admit that I still like to eat and still have the eating habit. For me it's not emotion but habit and boredom. I'd like to work on that, but step one for me was replacing bad eating with good eating.

I always make sure that the kitchen is stocked with things on my "good list." There are so many things that we can snack on that won't blow our days. If you haven't already, develop a fondness for fruits and vegetables. You can eat so much and still have a positive effect on your health. Make it unacceptable to open a box or a can or cover something with a sauce.

Some of my favorite snacks are simple ones and are fairly satisfying. I will slice up an apple and an orange and sit with that. Slice it up on a plate, so it takes longer to eat and you have something to do with your hands. The other night, I took romaine leaves and topped each with a thin slice of tomato and a few small slivers of onion. Drizzled VERY lighly with a fat free, low cal dressing (wasabi dijon, in this case) and it made a great plate to snack on for under 75 calories. Pretzels are my backup, but I strictly control the portions.

Like a previous poster, I prepare some things ahead of time. Once a week (or more often as needed), I prepare a really big tupperware full of salad. That way, it is always ready and I can just dish it on to a plate. It's easy to eat until you are really full and you still have been good to yourself. I also cook a soup weekly and preportion it into servings of about 100-150 calories. You can make sure that it's full of good stuff and lacking in the bad stuff.

The key is having easier access to the foods that are good choices than you do to the bad choices.

And my number one rule is that I NEVER eat anything before I whip out my phone and log the meal. I might plate it and sit down, but before I touch a fork I make sure to log what is on my plate. That focuses my mind on the decision I am about to make and gives me another chance to make sure that I am doing the right thing.

Good luck!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me - when I actually do it (insert rueful grin here) - is to log the bar meal or party or whatever it was, right away. St that point, I either see that it wasn't THAT bad, so the urge to give up goes away, or I see that it was REALLY REALLY bad, snd know that I really need to quit for the day.

HTH

Jen
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I started by:

1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress.
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me I did the math to find out the calories needed to maintain my goal weight and my current weight and I gave myself a range with 1200 as my rock bottom, lose 1 lb/wk as my target and maintain my goal weight as the top of my range. As long as I keep within in this range I'll lose. I tend to naturally zig zag my calories 3-4 at very close to my target and then a higher calorie day closer to the top of my range.

As long as I stayed under maintain my current weight calories I won't gain. So no need to throw in the towel, just pick-up where I left off.

Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people nee the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as acheivable. I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.)

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.
    Good Luck
  • lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Great advice!!!!
  • lovediets
    Options
    Great advice for me too!
  • bevpulse
    bevpulse Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    To Auntiebabs: Yours is a very reasonable approach! Thanks for the excellent tips and congratulations on your success!
  • lovediets
    Options
    I am an emotional eater as well. I used to do what you said, just forget it until the next day or even the next MONDAY! I don't know how many times I have started over on Monday!! I agree with one person who said to just tell yourself I am starting over the next snack, or meal. Also to log in what you ate even if if went way over your calories or carbs for the day. That way we are facing what we did and not just shoving it under the rug, so to speak.

You can do this! We are ALL in the same boat!
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am a rehabilitated eater. I used to go all day without eating, then at 7pm I would eat whatever I wanted and usually nothing healthy. I now eat 5-7 meals a day and exercise 5-6 days a week. I did it all by making small changes. For example, week 1... I challenged myself to eat breakfast...whatever it was...bagel, donut, breakfast sandwich. Anything but at least I was eating. Week 2, I started chosing a healthy breakfast. Week 3...eat lunch. Week 4, eat a healthy lunch...etc. Around week 6 I started using my weekends to create meal plans within my calorie allowance. I have a family, so this was very challenging. I had to take a separate grocery trip just for my food. I had a food calendar and I packed my cooler every day with all my food. I am 90 days later and feel great. I have lost almost 17 lbs since 1/31/11 and have never felt better in my life. I am happier, I have way more energy, and I am sleeping very soundly. If I have a bad moment, I continue on immediately. I've learned that my little bumps in the road have not affected my progress. I am motivated by the results, both physically (inside and out)and emotionally. I do not ever feel guilty. Because this is not a diet. Its a way of life forever. It took 20, 30, 40 years to develop these bad habits. Give yourself some time to undo all of that.
  • megglesdvm
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your advice!! I am already working on some of these steps, and it was nice to hear about different possible approaches. I agree that planning is essential to keep me on track, and that's going to take some work as well.

Again, that's so much for sharing your wisdom!:happy: