Holiday Eating - Like A Normal Person

donicagalek
donicagalek Posts: 526
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
So for holidays (Easter's coming!) are you strict on yourself and hate the people gorging around you or do you eat the cals, track them and go about your life? :-D

I'm planning on ham, pierogies, potatoes, a piece of pie (ONE piece) and maybe a piece of the kids' candy if they offer it. Seriously, how many holidays a year are there? :-)

Replies

• 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    I don't plan on gorging myself but have resigned not to worry about it. I'm going out for Easter and won't have any control over the meal or how it's prepared so just going to do the best that I can and not stress about it. Oh and hit the gym extra hard on Monday!
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    I plan on eating what I want just in moderation. One plate full of small amounts of things instead of 2 or 3 of huge amounts of everything. Holidays are a part of life and I want to enjoy those things, not dread them and worry about how to handle it:)
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Eat it, track it, move on!

I just try to eat mindfully on holidays or special dinners...like, which of the desserts do I really, really want? I don't eat things just because they're there; I try to splurge on the things I love.

I don't celebrate Easter, but I love Cadbury mini-eggs. *g* I am going to make room in my cals for those before they're out of the stores!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    :\ Easter eating? Huh. Weird. I think that's the one holiday I don't associate with food. I've always hated Easter candy. Those chocolate bunnies are gross, and egg-shaped hershey's candies (like reese's) just don't taste right. Haha.
  • rozzzz
    rozzzz Posts: 8
    ah, u know what? have the pie ;D personnaly i have what i want but try to consider how bad i'd feel later (i usually ignore these thoughts on hollidays :p ) if ur in a situation where everyone's having cake and moaning about how good it is, i dont think it would be fun to stare at them or chew on a lousy leaf.......
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526

I don't celebrate Easter, but I love Cadbury mini-eggs. *g* I am going to make room in my cals for those before they're out of the stores!

My GAWD those things are *evil*! :-D The chocolate is so smooth and PERFECTLY complimented with the thin candy shell. I'm *SO* glad those didn't make it in the kids' candy. :-D
  • I will be eating at my sister's home and will be helping her prepare the food. So, I'll be more aware of the ingriedents. I plan to eat what I really love and stay with the alloted portion sizes. I think being mindful of the proper portions is a big plus to keeping on track. I know that since I have been eating less, I do fill up quicker, so I'm hoping that will keep me on track. I do plan to have a dessert....I'll pick the one I love best!

Holidays, birthday celebrations, cook outs, showers, weddings, parties....all are a part of our lives that we don't want to miss out on. There's always something around the corner to attend. I do hope I can learn and stick with "mindful eating" and not have to suffer the guilt of over eating at these fun events! Good luck to all of us!!
  • I am going to have boxes ready for my entire family to take stuff home so that it wont be here... my down fall is the candy... I have such a sweet tooth!! I also have two kids so we have to do it. But Im not getting them any candy because I know the grandparents will do plenty for me. Then I am going to have my husband hide it haha I know it sounds stupid but I will eat it all if I could!!
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    I miss chocolate!!!! :sad: Makes me dump, big time!!! Haven't had it a long time now. Sigh.....Oh well, thats probably a good thing. But still, I miss it!!!
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    I have faimly over this Easter for the whole weekend so will be out lots keeping my nethews entertained so will not alway have the healthy choices I usualy do so I am just going to enjoy the weekend and try and pic the healthy options :happy:
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    My response to all of this is to go for a walk that morning, or afternoon, take the fam with u...even if you just walk aroung the block a few times before your big meal. This will help your met to get going...and give you a few extra calories for the day.

Also just remember PORTION CONTROL!!!!!!!!! Its not what we eat...its more of how much of it we eat. Load up on the veggies, so you'll get the full feeling with less calories, and the things that you know are rich in calories just put a little on your plate. Don't deny yourself...it will make you want it more!

Good Luck to ALL of us! ;)
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    I think you`re on the right track...I plan on getting my kids other things than candy...things like bubbles, skipping ropes, sidewalk chalk...etc which will get them outside more, rather than candy...which i will dig into as well. I have also in the past bought the plastic eggs and put little toys (from a dollar store) in them instead of candy and hid them, Kids liked looking for those ones just as much!:flowerforyou:
  • Jane92394
    Jane92394 Posts: 74
    I don't plan on counting my easter calories. My grandma makes a huge dinner complete with a bunch of homemade pies so I'm just going to give myself a free day and not worry about calories.
This discussion has been closed.