Losing hope...

Options
So, I KNOW I want to do this and I'm really not going to give up trying, but....

I have gained 2 pounds in the last two weeks. I was so excited to have been losing and was ecstatic when I hit 153 a couple weeks ago. In the last several days I've been drinking more water (even though I haven't been tracking the water part well) and watching my sodium intake to maybe maximize my results a little. But instead of losing I gained 2 pounds. I really almost had a breakdown this morning over it. It just kind of makes me feel like no matter what I do or how hard I try I'm always just going to be the fat girl... and that thought just makes me want to cry all over again...

Replies

• smiley01x
    smiley01x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    wish i could help, but i feel the same! i have been trying so hard and i have lost 0! all i can say is dont give up! we can do this :)
  • porkchop219
    Options
    I used to feel the same way, but trust me, more so trust in yourself and you can do anything that you want to.

:happy:
  • hmschultz
    hmschultz Posts: 32
    Options
    Remember, if you are working out as well, your gain is probably because you are building muscle! Keep up the good work, it really will all pay off in the end and you will see those results! :D
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    The hardest lesson for me to learn is I simply can not control the number on that scale, but I can control what I do about it. Don't count your success in pounds, but in things like miles run, temptations avoided, blood pressure decreased, HR recovery, clarity of thought, solid sleep, quality time with the kids, and the constant thank yous from you various insides for the healthy fuel choices. Keep managing the things you can control and let your body do what it does. If you successful with what you can manage, your body will follow. Promise. :)
  • missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    Options
    Definitely don't give up!!!! I've posted a few topics on here over the last month when I was having a hard time and gained a few pounds back and all the wonderful support from everyone has really helped me to not give up!!! And it's really worked!! I lost another half pound today.
    The most important thing I'm realizing for me and I think for most people is that we all really go in cycles. We'll do really good for a few weeks then for whatever reason we'll have a few off weeks. Then we'll go back to having good weeks. Maybe it's just our bodies way of keeping us on our toes.
    Either way, don't give up ever!! This is a life time change not and overnight cure. It will take a long time and lots of hard work but it will be worth it!!! Small changes everyday....
  • tnknights
    tnknights Posts: 23
    Options
    You will plateau, get stuck, gain,... many times. Change it up some. Trick your body by eating just a little more. You will begin to lost a little and then all of the sudden a pound will be gone. Do NOT lose hope. It'll be worth it.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    are your calories set to 1200? You may be at a point where you need to up your calories a little to help you lose. I found out I don't really lose that much/very quickly when I'm set so low. I had to up my calories. You could try adding 100 calories to your normal daily requirement for a few weeks and see how it works. good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Primroseholly
    Options
    Don't lose hope! You have already lost so much! I've lost 2 pounds and am very jealous of your 17! Everyone's body loses weight differently. Just because you gained a little this week, doesn't mean you have stopped losing. Don't think of this as a "diet' you want to change your lifestyle. Don't give up!! :)
  • jennbaby23
    Options
    OMG, i been doing the same and im feeling the same, please keep me informed if you find out what works for you, i will take any advice i can get, i have his a rut and its not fun..my poor husband prob thinks im crazy with how much i obsess over a pound gain/loss...
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I actually was at 1260 per MFP guidelines... that's what the site set me at. I did change it up to 1350 hoping.... sigh
  • kfister
    kfister Posts: 22
    Options
    This is really normal. Ever seen The Biggest Loser? Sometimes those contestants will work their butts off (literally) and gain pounds at the weigh in! It's always so shocking, but our bodies are funny that way. :P

Please don't lose hope! Try re-weighing tomorrow, or give it a week and you'll probably see big losses! I can see how far you've come on your signature. You are NOT that "fat girl." You are strong (stronger than you realize you are!) and in control! And what's more is that you are beautiful just the way you are--something we all need to hear more often, especially when working on losing weight. You have to love yourself before you can accept that you deserve every success that has already come, and those successes that will continue to come.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself before you drink the water. I was having the same thing happen. I had to start weighing in on the day after my rest day, with no cheat day. Your muscles will hold water after a workout and you will weigh in heavier after drinking water. That's what the contestants on the Biggest Loser do. They will drink lots of water before a weigh in if they want to throw the weigh in. Keep on doing what you are doing and you will see the results. Also during these plateaus, measure yourself, you may find that you have lost inches. Eating healthier and exercising is never a waste of time, it's an investment for your future.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Forget the scale and focus on something else as your goal for now. For me, it's running. First it was sticking to the Couch to 5k plan, and now moving on to a 10K training program. For others, it's doing something like the 30 Day Shred for 30 days straight, or the 100 Pushups Challenge. Just something physical that you can commit to and challenge yourself. Sticking with something like that, you're guaranteed to have improvements. Even if it doesn't show on the scale, you'll know you're getting fitter and stronger! Each week, tell yourself that you're going to do MORE than you did the week before. Longer, faster, harder. (Which sounds kinda dirty now that I write it! :laugh: )

I'm convinced that a solid 90% of this is psychological. If you think you're doing well, you'll do well. None of us have complete control over the scale, so give yourself a goal you KNOW you can rock! :smile:
  • Amairee
    Amairee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I know that lbs tends to be the biggest focal point for most people, but hyper-focusing on your weight is only going to set yourself up for some disappointments along the way. Everyone is going to have bumps in the road where weight gain occurs, and it might not have anything to do with your diet and exercise routine but simply how your body is adjusting to your new lifestyle. You'll have weeks where, after a good weight loss, some of that weight will come back but then it will drop off again. You're going to fluctuate on the scale, but that does NOT mean that you aren't making progress.

Best advice I can give is to look not only at the scale, but also on day-to-day dietary success, overall feelings of wellness and on the inches you've lost. Keeping track of your measurements is one of the best ways to notice your results. And lets face it no one but yourself and those you share it with will know how much your body weighs at any point in your life, but those inches lost, that's the success out there for the entire world to see.

It's not always going to be easy, but you've lost so much already and that is such an amazing accomplishment. Just keep going, keep staying motivated, and you'll see the results you want!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Don`t give up.You could be building muscle.Could be retaining water.This is a life long journey.We hit some bumps on the way.But we have to look at what we have done so far.Don`t let a number sabatoge all your hard work.I know from experience,I would eat more to comfort me,No good.
    Just keep trying you`ll get to where you want to.
    Good luck!!
    jane:flowerforyou:
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Everyone hits a plateau, or takes a step backwards on the temperamental scale, even though they're doing everything right. Everyone. If everyone gave up when that happened, there wouldn't be any success stories to inspire us. Keep going. The only way you're going to "fail" is if you quit.
  • Bavaria100
    Options
    That must be very disappointing...especially when you expected to do well. Here is a suggestion (it's a silly one!).
    Take a plastic bag, fill it with it stuff so that the bag is as heavy as what you have lost so far.
    Now...walk around with it (maybe best in the house); go upstairs a couple of times.
    This is what you have carried around every day before you started losing weight!
    You are doing great!:happy:
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling the same way. Everyone says they can see a change and the only change I can see is that my feet are skinner. Scrutinizing the pictures from the beginning till now (26 pounds later) and I see NO difference. It really sucks.

Don't give up though. Like someone else above said, weigh your victories in things other than the scale. I sleep better at night, I feel better overall, and even if I'm not losing weight I will still keep going because those are two major things that have been awesome.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you realize this in some way, but like all of us you need to be reminded. It took a long time to get where you were, it will take time to get rid of the fat. You have already lost a bunch of weight. Don't discount that. Also realize this needs to be a lifestyle change. If you look at this as something you will do until you reach your goal weight, and then you can go back to eating whatever you want, know that sort of approach will eventually put the weight back on. Since this is a lifestyle change, your weight, as important as it is in the long run, is not the measure of success. The measure of success is your new healthy lifestyle with its exercise and food choices. This time you spend losing weight is the time where you are in the university of healthy living unlearning all the bad habits, eating and lifestyle things that you spent the first part of your life learning, and learning how to live and eat in a healthy way. You are establishing new habits and new patterns. That takes time, and even though you are probably like me, you want it now, you need to look at this time as your learning time. I know when I finished my education and went into the workplace I benefited from taking more time in University and in doing my Masters rather than rushing through it following the normal time pace people used. That extra time to learn was a blessing, even though it took longer to get where I wanted to go.
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    We have all been there so we know your frustration.
    I am new HERE and have that brand new High of a few pounds lost quickly...I am doing it to the letter so I have the boost of the easy to lose ones.

I hope you renew your efforts...go back to weighing and measuring and tracking if you haven't been.
    As a 5 time grad of WW I can tell you when I stopped doing that exact tracking and measuring I just went back to the creeping up of portions and calories.

That always sunk me.
    I am trying to look at 5 lbs at a time. Used to be so frustrated at 10 lbs. it took so long but 5 seems doable

just a suggestion but yes...I hear you. It is not easy. hang in.