taking food to someones house?

Options
would it be weird if i took my own broccoli and carrots to a family dinner? Next weekend we are going to hubs family house out in ks for a dinner and easter egg hunt. They make the farthest from healthy foods/ Lots of sweets and high in sodium foods with very little choice of veggies except things like sweet pot's with marshmallows and sugar. I plan on eating some of their turkey because they raise their own turkey's out there so the meat taste fabulous being free range and being fed right and they smoke it them selves but i plan on eating the broccoli and carrots before dinner so i dont eat too much of the stuff that wont be great for me. Is this something that would be considered rude?

Replies

• momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I think it would be very tacky to take your own veggies. However, why not make enough to share with everyone?
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I don't think its rude, especially since they are family. I would probably bring some to my dinner that day too (if I didn't plan on making it a full blown cheat day:)
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I think it would be very tacky to take your own veggies. However, why not make enough to share with everyone?

She has a point, bring a whole platter of them. Or maybe some other side dish that would be healthy.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I always arrive packing food, lol. I go to the inlaws and I eat a little of what they make and alot of what i bring! (usually a salad or broccoli)

And I always bring enough to share. IN fact my MIL always asks what I am bringing now, lol.
  • msheldon88
    msheldon88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Consider making a veggie tray to take over to their house for everyone to share. That will solve the problem of feeling awkward and give everyone a chance to make a better choice.
  • Momcharisma88
    Momcharisma88 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i already made a main dish and a desert for them i guess a veggie platter wouldnt be so hard. just one more thing to tote lol.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the family. I've seen posted in these boards someone who did the same, and the family thought it was rude, but others replied that their family wouldn't think so. Have you talked to your husband to see what he thinks will be their reaction?

I also think it would seem completely appropriate for you to make up a large container and take it to share. That way you are bringing a side dish (something my family always does when descending on one another's home) which is always appropriate.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Why not offer to bring the vegetable tray and/or a green salad for dinner? That way you have plenty of good choices for you and can skip out on the unhealthy stuff.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    veggie tray is a very good idea.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i agree, make a selection of veggies for everybody, and just tell them you felt like you had to contribute as they were going to so much trouble. They'll think your being nice, and wont notice when you mainly eat your own veggies x
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    We have so many different tastes & eating styles we have to accomodate at EVERY family event. I agree that a larger thing to share might be the better idea, but there is nothing wrong with taking munchies for you. And IF someone asks you can just say "Ive really enjoyed snacking on these lately would you like to try one?"
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Your health is more important than anyone elses feelings about you bringing your own veggies, but a better suggestion would be to bring enough for everyone.
  • Momcharisma88
    Momcharisma88 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    We have so many different tastes & eating styles we have to accomodate at EVERY family event. I agree that a larger thing to share might be the better idea, but there is nothing wrong with taking munchies for you. And IF someone asks you can just say "Ive really enjoyed snacking on these lately would you like to try one?"

I like that, thank you :)
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is tacky at all...our pastor has family that is vegan, and at get togethers, they bring their own sides that they can have for themselves to avoid the dairy.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would consider it rude if someone brought their own food to a dinner I was hosting, whether they were family or not. Why not call and ask if it would be ok to bring enough for everyone?

Generally, I'm not that strict with my food. I take a day or two "off" every week, so functions like this don't affect my overall weight loss much. One day won't kill you or your hard work.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Personally, Id bring enough for everyone so at least I thought of the other people etc. Posts like these make me sooo glad my inlaws are vegans so when we go there, I KNOW I'll eat healthy lol.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I agree with bringing it as a side dish or platter for everyone. Even if you end up being the only one who eats it. :wink:
  • didazzles
    didazzles Posts: 13
    Options
    It is so good that you are thinking of this in advance. Kudos to you!!! As I get more serious about what I eat, why I eat and when I eat, it is increasingly important to control my meals and snack. It is difficult for me to imagine that my family would feel it rude for me to bring food that I need to maintain my health choices - ESPECIALLY if I am not ridiculing them for their choices. I might be offended if someone was ridiculing how I chose to eat while bringing their food choices to a meal that I prepared. However, if someone broght their food to add to options that I had prepared, I would consider that person to be respectful of what I had prepared and respectful of what they choose to eat. Personally, the relationship that I have with my family members is that I could easily call and indicate that I am on a meal plan which requires consistent attention to what I eat. I'd mention that I'd like to add to the meal by bringing .... and ask if someone else had already indicated that they were bringing something similar. I hope your family understands that you have made these choices for you and can rejoice in your decision to support a lifestyle that will ultimately improve your health. I personally pay close attention to my food choices and can not deviate much because I know that my tastes buds are changing and can easily revert to their old preferences if I do not continue to support myself with healthy choices. I've read where others take days off from making healthy choices and that it works for them. I think that it's important for people to be respectful of the individual journey that is required to reach our goals and that works for some will not work for all. Good luck and again, CONGRATS for planning ahead and desiring to support your journey!
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'd certainly consider bringing enough to be considered a platter but I also don't think my health should be the subject of social pleasantries. We live in a country that's out of control and if we, here, choose to live our lives in a more responsible matter, then the only ones who are rude are the ones who would take insult in our attempts to better ourselves. You are already bringing dishes so obviously its not a big deal to bring one more (veggie platter especially being rather easy) but if you knew that noone would eat it then why waste the time and money. Of course maybe people would eat it if it was brought and help everyone fill up on good things so they eat less of the bad 8)