Pre-diabetic!?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm Laura, and I'm new to MFP. I have been watching my calories and exercising for months, no results! I finally got fed up and went to the Dr. My cholesterol, Insulin and BP are all up! This is out of left field for me as I am just 2 lbs overweight and no family history of diabetes. I'm hoping this site and people on it can help me out. What should I eat? What should I avoid? Anyone with some insight? Advice from people with diabetes? All welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just read an amazing article yesterday. It's long, but I think it will be very educational for you. Cut down on sugar. Good luck!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?_r=2
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,279 Member
    Options
    bump to respond later...
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi Lalepop,

I began my weight loss journey nearly five years ago (but unlike you, I was overweight). The journey began when I was diagnosed with elevated blood sugar at my annual physical. Just after the completion of my phisical, I quit taking Lipitor due to issues with my legs, so my cholesterol was through the ceiling too.

My doctor sent me to a dietician who told me these things (both for weight loss and for my blood sugars):
    1. Write down everything you eat (easy here).
    2. Watch your portion sizes (I did buy a food scale).
    3. Keep your total "carbs" to 15 or less a day. In her world, a "carb" was equal to 15 grams of carbohydrates (if you are reading labels).

Well, my thoughts were, "This will NEVER make any difference." Low and behold, almost five years, and -60+ pounds later, I'm living proof that it did work. Not only did I lose weight, my blood sugar and cholesterol levels have tested in the normal ranges for over four years.

Good luck on your journey. I would suggest seeing a dietician who can help you tweek your diet so that your blood sugar might be managed by diet, not by medication. That is what the doctor wanted to avoid with me.....so far, so good :smile:
    Kaye
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    Actually you need to cut down on carbs. that's the main trigger
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I am pre-diabetic and I have been in a carb debate all day. I think the best advise is to listen to your Doctor. Find a dietitian in your area that works with you to obtain your goals. Your Doctor can guide you to one in your area, usually hospital based and free. They will get you on a program that will work best for you. Don't take medical advise from anyone but a professional. Best of luck to you.
  • annadilynn
    Options
    really watch your sodium. there are a ton of "hidden" salts in everyday food....because you are prediabetic you should shoot for an even lower sodium intake than what is the suggested normal amount...watch for hidden sugar too....lots of it in fruits...you should seriously consider getting a book on how to eat if you are a diabetic..even if you are just pre-diabetic..it wouldnt hurt to adjust and avoid becoming diabetic if its possible.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Actually you need to cut down on carbs. that's the main trigger

No, it's not! Eating poorly and not moving is typically the trigger. It's not just carbs. A person needs carbs for energy, especially workouts. By the time today is done, I'll have consumed 206 grams of carbs. I'm a VERY controlled Type 2 Diabetic.

My carbs are set at 45%, protein at 30% and fat at 20%. My highest carb meal is an hour before my workout.

To OP, cut sodium down to about 1500 mg to help with BP. You mentioned you workout. That's great. Maybe need to add more? I don't know what you do.

Measure everything. Keep snacks around 15 g of carbs...meals around 45 g or so. I push for 60 on my highest carb meal. Make sure you drink enough water.

It takes time and about a 10% drop in weight to see blood sugar numbers change.

My diary is open if you need to look for ideas. Feel free to ask me anything.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,279 Member
    Options
    I agree with kelika71. The body needs carbs but controlling amount and balancing consumption of them is the key. I was prediabetic for 8 years and never got my act together consistently to get control of my eating and weight even though the doctor was on me for it. I'm now Type II and trying to lose the weight and get healthier. Although my glucose levels were borderline for Type II I asked my doctor to send me to the educational class with the nutritionist and RN so I could learn how I should be eating. It was very helpful, insurance paid for it and they gave me a glucose monitor (paid for by insurance) so I could check my blood sugars. It has helped me to understand where I'm at and how to control my eating.

You may want to ask your doctor to refer you to a class for diabetics (mine was two mornings) so you can get this under control before you become Type II. There are good books and cookbooks out there regarding Type II, how to prevent it, how to manage your carb intake, etc. that are excellent. Good luck!
  • pet0006
    pet0006 Posts: 5
    Options
    NO! no! sugar and carbs do NOT cause type 2 diabetes by themselves, so do not blame yourself - you're only 2 pounds overweight, thats nothing :) it can sometimes be genetic as well, some people are more pre-disposed than others.
    I'm a type 1 diabetic (i.e. pancreas is broken haha, controlled by 5x daily insulin injections), and I agree completely with everything kelika71 has said. Make sure you measure your carbs, know everything that is going into your body. Exercise does wonders for blood sugar as well. The key is to get moving and cut down the crap in your diet.
    Obviously I was never a pre-diabetic as Type 1 is quite different, but I have a family friend who was and he never got his act together - now Type II and still hasnt!
    Trust me, diabetes is not a fun thing to have - try your hardest! :)
  • laleepop
    laleepop Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise and input everyone! I am meeting with a dietitian soon, and I can't wait! I have lost 2 lbs since joining and I'm official within the "normal" weight range. Everyone here is so supportive and eager to share, I love it! Thanks again guys!

Laura
  • liagarden
    liagarden Posts: 54
    Options
    Yes. ditto. Cut down on sugars and carbs. Eat lots of vegetables, and the more raw vegetables, the better! It's how your body is metabolising sugars (starches) and pumping out insulin. I know a young man who "has diabetes" and an insulin pump, but he follow the pH Miracle diet for 2 months, he doesn't need the insulin!
    When you are pre-diabetic, you can reverse this easily. Try no bread, rolls, pastries, no wine, potatoes, rice, candy, pasta, won-tons, oatmeal, cereals, for 2 weeks. White flour products and sugars, of any kind, are the worst for you. Keep the carbs around 30-40 day for a week or 2, and your numbers should be better. You can eat a few berries or cherries, or 1/5 apple, or 1 Wasa cracker, or a handful of almonds, etc. per day. Choose low-carb veggies. Yes, you'll be eating more protein and fat, but that's OK, your numbers will be better! Fat doesn't make you fat! Sugar makes you fat! (You may not be fat, but you have to get your insulin down) You can have cream in your coffee, bacon and eggs, turkey or chicken with veggies for lunch, same for dinner. Even saute meat or fish in olive oil. Keep the carbs down. Root vegetables are higher in carbs than other vegetables. Believe me, you don't want to become full-blown diabetic.