The Afterburn: Burning Calories After Exercise

Options
Hi,

I noticed a lot of people were asking if they should or should not (after exercising) eat the extra calories given in our food diaries, including myself. This was kind of confusing to me, so I did some snooping and this is what I discovered time and again. I am copy and pasting an article about it...I did not write it....I thought it was very informative.

Have a good day
Jamie

Exercise Afterburn
The Scoop on Burning Calories After the Sweating is Done

Your exercise session is over. You're back at your desk or home carrying on with life, you know, making dinner, pushing papers or changing diapers.

But your body is still burning calories, silently, efficiently, slyly. Even after most exercise if over, calories continue to get gobbled. You probably call it "afterburn." For the record, exercise scientists call it "excess post-exercise oxygen consumption," or EPOC. OK, OK, we'll call it afterburn.

Pretty cool that you can do nothing and still keep the fires burning. But the level, type and length of the something you do before you stop have a big effect on the afterburn.

How intense must activity be to get an afterburn? -- Studies show that you don't get much of an effect if your exercise intensity is much below 60-65 percent of your maximum heart rate. If you rate your perceived exertion on a scale of 1-10, that'll put you at about a 2-3, or light to low-moderate. Stopping to smell the flowers every few feet won't accomplish much. You'll have to move continuously and with moderate determination. The more intense the exercise, the more effective of an afterburn. For the most bang for your buck, shoot for vigorous activity at about 75-80 percent of your maximum heart rate, or 5-6 on the 1-10 scale of perceived exertion.

How long does it have to be? -- Even 20-40-minute walks can earn you some extra calorie use, but not huge amounts. You'll get the most out of a session that's at least 60 minutes, studies seem to show.

How much extra burn do you earn? -- Achieve 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity, and you'll nearly double the afterburn compared to a 20- or 40-minute session. That could account for an extra 80 to 100 calories over the first three hours. Now that doesn't sound like much, but if you gain an extra 90-calorie expenditure, four times a week, that's 360 calories. Keep that up for a year and you've lost an extra 5 pounds or so.

How long does the afterburn last? -- Researchers are still using the great cop-out here: "More research is needed." Nevertheless, one study published earlier this year showed that fit people continued to burn more calories at least 39 hours after they stopped exercise, and that their bodies chose to use nearly double the fat during that time than in inactive people. Whatever the exact length, you can assume the more intense and longer the activity, the longer the afterburn will last. In all cases, it will start higher and slowly taper off over at least several hours.

What if I workout twice in one day? – You’ll probably burn more than if you workout just once, even if the sessions are shorter. That’s because your inner fires use up the most right after you’re done, then slowly die out. So you’ll get that immediate hot heat twice.

Oh, and ... well ... why? -- They don't know. At least not exactly. They speculate that it has something to do with increased levels of certain hormones circulating in the system, changes in the way the body uses fat, or body temperature changes. They also don't really know if the body chronically adapts to this or simply kicks in the effect after individual workouts.

But, hey, who are we to complain. Keep it moderate to vigorous, the longer the better, and cash in for hours after the sweating's done.
Contributed By: Therese Iknoian

Therese Iknoian is an award-winning and internationally published fitness/sports journalist, has consulted on educational programs for the likes of Nike, and has written numerous books, including Mind-Body Fitness For Dummies, Tai Chi For Dummies, and Fitness Walking. She is an exercise physiologist and former nationally ranked race walker, and has partnered with her journalist-husband, Michael Hodgson, on four web sites: her own www.TotalFitnessNetwork.com, plus www.GearTrends.com, www.AdventureNetwork.com, www.SNEWSnet.com

Replies

• vioblee
    vioblee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. That's nice to know!
  • Teri1026
    Teri1026 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome info! Thanks for the post...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Not a bad article except for not mentioning the type of exercise those who had the afterburn 39 hours later were doing. I know that long duration steady state "cardio" activity has very little afterburn, where High Intensity Interval Training and Metabolic Resistance training have a very large one. More detailed information would have helped, but if you want afterburn, 45 minutes to and hour on the treadmill or elliptical going the same pace, even if you are working hard, doesn't give that much. Intervals of some sort will give much more, and High Intensity Intervals even more. Your workouts will be much shorter doing High Intensity, but the effect will be far greater in fat burning due to the long afterburn.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but from what I've seen when people talk about eating their exercise calories, they're talking about eating the actual calories burned during their work out. Now I have seen people ask when they should stop counting, like at what point after their work out should they turn off their HRM, so for that this article is helpful, but the calories added to your food log from exercise is the calories you burned during exercise (or most of it, depending on when you stop counting calories burned) not afterburn.
  • bwesser
    bwesser Posts: 61
    Options
    Thank you for posting! I've been telling friends and family that when you exercise and burn off 500 cals, go ahead and eat those 500 cals... as long as they are healthy and you get the most bang for your buck. That way, they eat the 500 cals, but they are still burning about 100 cals extra after the workout. It's very important to keep your net cals at 1200 (minimum).
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Great article. Thanks for posting!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'd love to me able to calculate afterburn, good article