Alcohol and how it "pauses" weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have a drink or several about once a week. If it slows me down, I don't care!

I'm not, and never was, in a big old hurry to drop every pound as fast as possible. I want to enjoy my life in the meantime, not put everything on hold until I reach some magical number. And when I get to my goal, I want to be used to eating and drinking and living a normal life that includes the occasional goodie or junk or libation. I don't want to be the kid in the candy store going nuts with my new found freedom.

Yes, yes, yes! Completely agree =]
  • Rocki_
    Rocki_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is especially detrimental when it comes to abdominal fat, because your liver has to focus 100% on ridding your body of this "poison". One need only take a look at people who have serious alcohol problems ... skinny legs and arms because of malnutrition but BIG bellies. Just my two cents.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/59/3/619.short
    We conclude that alcohol has a fat-sparing effect similar to that of carbohydrate and will only cause fat gain when consumed in excess of normal energy needs.

It's not definitive but this seems what most of the studies concluded.
  • life1979_24
    life1979_24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    in 2007 i hit a low in my life ... i was at the bar drinking an average of 3-5 full calorie beers often combined with shots or other drinks i was doing this 3-6 days a week. i lost somewhere between 50-70 pounds. in a few months. i am guessing this has to do more with the fact i was getting out of my house socializing dancing playing pool darts and yes hooking up and walk to and from the bars than what i was consuming. i think it depends on how you drink. i no way was that good for me or anyone else. but excluding the things in life that you enjoy will only lead to regaining the pounds after you add them back in later. you have to find the balance that is right for you. i would say dont eat less to make up for the calories instead add more cardio.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    No idea on the scientific aspect, but my own phenomena happens when i drink. The past couple of weekends I've drank alcohol and had a pretty big weight loss the day after (I'm one of those freaky people who weighs themselves every day)...no i didn't puke it out. Just had to clarify that.

Did the weight loss stay off, or creep back in later in the week?
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options

I'm not, and never was, in a big old hurry to drop every pound as fast as possible. I want to enjoy my life in the meantime, not put everything on hold until I reach some magical number. And when I get to my goal, I want to be used to eating and drinking and living a normal life that includes the occasional goodie or junk or libation. I don't want to be the kid in the candy store going nuts with my new found freedom.

Yes, yes, yes! Completely agree =]

Interesting point about maintaining a relationship with alcohol while you're losing.

I know that there are lots of "side effects" to drinking that can sabotage weight loss, but there are also some benefits to drinking that actually HELP me lose weight, too. Socializing keeps me more concious of how I look, dress, and keeps me WANTING to keep up my body when I know I have friends to look forward to. Plus, its just plain fun to have some drinks and laugh and cut up. It keeps me feeling young and less stressed. I guess I Just wish I could control my drinking a little better. I just don't have it where I want it.

I average 8-12 drinks when I drink. I'd like to keep it to more like 3-5. It really reminds me of how even though I've KNOWN for many many years that I need to control my food, yet didn't do it until now for some reason. It feels like the same type of thing going on with alcohol for me right now. I know I am overdoing it - I know I should slow down and cut back on it. ITs a work in progress. Maybe I"ll learn to control it, maybe I"ll have to quit altogether.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options

I agree 100%! :drinker: