Newbie and some thoughts...

Options
Hi there I am a week into my journey and have been using the app on my phone primarily (what a god send-- I am not even kidding). So far 2 lbs down 30 to go.

Today was a BIT rough because my mom came home with LOADS of easter chocolates and candy and those who know me well will know that chocolate is like* drugs* to me. I am not kidding. I could quite happily tuck in to all the candy she brought home--- and normally I would. So, needless to say this was a bit of a challenge for me to not complete dive right in.

But I have not had one single piece. No no no. I have been good. But this got me really thinking... You know there is that piece of advice freely given to those of us who are embarking on this journey to lose the weight. The advice is this: "If you don't keep the tempting food in the house then you can't eat it" or "Throw all of the unhealthy tempting foods in your home away so that you aren't surrounded by it all the time."

Now, don't get me wrong this is very practical and wonderful advice-- but what about those of us who still live with family, roommates, friends, spouses, etc. who maybe aren't on the same journey as us? What about those of us who co-exists with other humans who practically live off of pizza, chips, soda, CHOCOLATE EASTER CANDY, cakes, cookies and all of the other things one generally tries to avoid in such times?

And I know, I know. The obvious answer here is " Just ask them to respect your choices, etc". Well, I have. They come home with truckloads of chocolate anyway.

Is there anyone else out there who can feel my pain? I know there has to be!

Well, regardless I will avoid the chocolate-laden baskets by all costs and hope that before the week is over they will have eaten every last crumb and i won't have it staring up at me every time I walk out the door.

Okay, end rant.

Oh! I'm Sarah by the way. Pleasure to meet you :)

Replies

• aaronjarvis
    aaronjarvis Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Read your post. I wouldn't deprive yourself from Chocolate completely. Have a little. Just don't over do it. That way you wont feel like having a healthy style takes away everything you love to eat. Just document, & see where the calories are.
  • mzmeka
    mzmeka Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I completely understand Sarah. I had to have a "serious" talk with my boyfriend because his bad eating habits influence me. He likes to eat whatever and he eats all times of the night. He is going to try to be more supportive, so that should help. I just found this site and I'm starting fresh tomorrow. I'm going to download the app right now!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    My family eats a lot of cheese, carbs and sugar. They drink regularly and stay up late.

How do I cope? Willpower.

I wish there was a magic answer but I haven't found one. Instead of going in for pizza, tiramisu and shiraz, I bring fresh veggies and sip water. Once in a while I indulge along with them but I find that I'm always MUCH happier when I keep it under control and stick to my baby carrots and H2O. Good luck!
  • kbarker69
    kbarker69 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

My journey looks like it will be much longer than yours. I began my journey on December 5, 2010 and have lost 30 pounds so far! By the end of 2011 I hope to be at my goal weight and to have lost 86 pounds!

I must say that I love all kinds of food. I've attempted to lose weight so many times and failed because I denied myself the occasional sweets and such. So, when I started my journey this time I determined I was not going to deny myself. If I wanted something (ice cream, chocolate, etc...) I would have it. The calories had to be accounted for in my calorie count for the day--no exceptions! Along the way I've come to the realization that some of those treats are just not worth the calories and I'm sure you will too.

Don't deny yourself, but ALWAYS count those calories and log them and stay under your calorie goal! You can make it! :)

Best of luck to you.

Kim
  • thisistotallysarah
    Options
    Wow! Thank you so much everyone! I am so happy I have found a community of people who are going through the same things.

Willpower it is. I am not a child and I can handle not having every sweetie in the basket. I said to myself that if I keep to my calorie goals for the next 3 days then I will enjoy the fun sized M&Ms. I think that's fair. That way I am having a reward for job well done, and isn't that what its all about?

Thanks again everyone and keep up the good work! You're all inspirational!
  • thisistotallysarah
    Options
    You will LOVE the app! Pretty much every food is in there as well as their calorie content, etc. It so easy for me whenever I am about to go out to eat or something, I will quickly look up the restaurant and see what my low calorie options are and I am set. Also, depending on your phone you have the option to scan barcodes!!!! If you can't tell, I get really excited about that one. You just pick up your snack, scan the box, submit it to your diary, and chow down. Ahhhh-mazing!