egg beaters vs real eggs

Options
aml17
aml17 Posts: 30 Member
I recently started using egg beaters instead of real eggs because the calories and cholesterol were lower. I've realized that the sodium is way higher though. So what is better to have? lower cholesterol or lower sodium?

Replies

• CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    lower sodium all the way.

only time i use the egg beaters is if something calls for just egg whites, i hate seperating eggs, specially if there is no use for the yolk.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'll take the whole egg any day, not just partial because I get about 3 dozen every 4 days for free :)
    I don't care about the cholesterol, my numbers are fine despite eating a 3 egg omelet every couple days and taking hard boiled eggs as snacks for work.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Some of the cholesterol in eggs is good cholesterol. Too much sodium can make you hold water and feel bloated. I definitely suggest using at least one egg with egg whites, maybe look into getting a carton of egg whites instead of egg beaters.
  • sheeleza
    sheeleza Posts: 6
    Options
    It is a matter of taste for me. I rather egg whites. I don't like artifical food in general. I've learned recently that if there are names in the ingrediants that are chemically named then it isn't something you should eat.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Like others have said, I prefer the egg whites and I mix in a whole egg or two. You just need to get over how thin the egg whites are when you put them in the pan as it cooks up quite nicely.
  • aml17
    aml17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Even if I make the egg beaters for breakfast with the higher sodium, I generally stay around 1500 mg of sodium for the day... should I probably still stop eating them or since I can afford to have that sodium is it not so bad in my diet? I love eggs.. whole eggs, egg whites and egg beaters so taste is not a factor in my decision.
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options
    Eat the real eggs... take the time to separate the whites if you're concerned about the fat/cholesterol. Egg Beaters taste awful... yechh...
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    the less processed the food you eat.. the healthier you *S*
    go for omega 3 whole eggs all the way.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I recently started using egg beaters instead of real eggs because the calories and cholesterol were lower. I've realized that the sodium is way higher though. So what is better to have? lower cholesterol or lower sodium?

Real eggs are always the way to go. Sodium is more important to keep lower than cholesterol. With cholesterol, the more you eat the less your body has to make in the liver, so it is good to eat a healthy amount of cholesterol.

I eat free range farm fresh eggs only, nothing added except for the chicken ate.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Real eggs all the way.

From a nutrition standpoint, you get more protein and nutrients from a whole egg, without all the sodium and other additives in Egg Beaters. If you're concerned about the fat count, mix in some egg whites with a whole egg or two.

From a cost standpoint, there's no comparison. A 16oz carton of Egg Beaters is around $5, whereas I got 3 dozen whole eggs at Costco for less than $4.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Wow - I just happened to see this topic and you all have convinced me. I am not one to waste stuff so I won't throw out the open carton of eggbeaters I started, but when it's done, I am done with it. After that it's egg whites or whole eggs for me from now on! Thank you all!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I also vote for the real eggs over the processed eggbeaters.

The only thing that eggbeaters are good for is baking; if you are trying to reduce fat in baked goods, eggbeaters work well because they will make baked goods crwon well and replacing eggs with a combination of whole eggs + eggwhites won't. And even then you'd probably still be better off just using the real eggs.
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I second omega 3 enriched eggs! Egg yolks are sooo good for you! One egglands best egg is only 70 cals, worth it!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Eggs! It's funny this came up... I was just talking on my feed about how I'm getting chickens this week so I'll have my own farm fresh WHOLE eggs. :tongue:
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in for egg beaters here. I eat omelets regularly, and if I used regular eggs my cholesterol levels would be unhealthy.

I feel like some of the reasons to eat real eggs here are a little off the mark. Regarding the comments that egg beaters are "way higher" in sodium, I disagree. It's 115 mg (5% of RDA) vs 65 mg. Also I worry much less about sodium as I exercise regularly and sweat a lot. You can sweat out sodium, but you don't sweat out cholesterol.

Secondly, protein. It's the same in each.

And as far as all the other stuff in egg beaters, it is 99% egg whites. All the other ingredients account for less than 1%.

While I am generally a proponent of choosing the most natural form of any food, in the case of eggs I use the substitute 95% of the time. For the amount of eggs I eat I cannot afford having 71% of my RDA of cholesterol in one egg yolk.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I mix them if I'm making a fritatta or omelette. 1 or 2 whole eggs, 1/4 cup egg beaters. That is purely to keep the fat count down. Mostly I eat cage free organic eggs, 1-2 at a time, in their entirety. I prefer whole eggs, just fubars my fat count if I eat a whole omelette full of them :tongue:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in for egg beaters here. I eat omelets regularly, and if I used regular eggs my cholesterol levels would be unhealthy.

I feel like some of the reasons to eat real eggs here are a little off the mark. Regarding the comments that egg beaters are "way higher" in sodium, I disagree. It's 115 mg (5% of RDA) vs 65 mg. Also I worry much less about sodium as I exercise regularly and sweat a lot. You can sweat out sodium, but you don't sweat out cholesterol.

Secondly, protein. It's the same in each.

And as far as all the other stuff in egg beaters, it is 99% egg whites. All the other ingredients account for less than 1%.

While I am generally a proponent of choosing the most natural form of any food, in the case of eggs I use the substitute 95% of the time. For the amount of eggs I eat I cannot afford having 71% of my RDA of cholesterol in one egg yolk.

The RDA is still based on the mistaken junk science that dietary cholesterol has a strong correlation to blood cholesterol.

A 56% increase in sodium is "way higher", yes.

You're eliminating a great source of Omega fatty acids if you're eliminating egg yolks, along with a good source of selenium, phosphorous and B vitamins.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Let's see fake eggs v REAL eggs, nuff said
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Eggs! It's funny this came up... I was just talking on my feed about how I'm getting chickens this week so I'll have my own farm fresh WHOLE eggs. :tongue:

Me too, we're in the process of building the chicken coop (does that count as exercise? LOL!)

Fresh eggs all the way - just limit it to 1 or 2 a day, or mix in egg whites.
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    COMPROMISE!!

Here's what I do-

1 whole egg & 1 egg white....a little bit of soy milk - whipp it all together.
    Eggs end up low in sodium, still taste fantastic and their even a little fluffy!

it's cheaper than the egg beaters too!!