Random: Swollen Fingers?

Options
I've noticed that when I'm walking or running, my fingers get really swollen and numb after awhile. I'm sure that it has something to do with blood flow, but it's very uncomfortable and frustrating. Walking/ running along the Greenway with "spirit fingers" to alleviate the discomfort is slightly embarrassing. :laugh: Is there anything I can do to prevent this? It usually doesn't start getting really bad until 45 minutes to an hour into the workout. It usually takes a couple of hours for my fingers to return to their normal size afterward too.

Replies

• husstler
    husstler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've experienced the same issue and would love to know if there if a less embarrassing, more effective solution than Spirit Fingers.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    water water water. keep your fists loose and move your arms widely and in sequence while walking and running. The swelling should all flush out if you are hydrating well during exercise. My fingers swell sometimes too- not as bad as they used to though. Just keep the blood pumping and the water flowing.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I've experienced the same issue and would love to know if there if a less embarrassing, more effective solution than Spirit Fingers.
    been there done that! haha Oh well... there ARE more embarrassing things happening in the gym! ;)
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered what was going on too - have to make sure not to wear any rings when I hike or take long walks
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Keep your elbows bent a little and make sure that you ate moving your arms, I also find that while walking putting them up behind my head for a little while works. Someone else posted about this the other day and there was some good information.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/219024-hands-swell-when-walking
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Do you run with your arms straight down your sides?
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Do you run with your arms straight down your sides?
    good question... they should be bent but in a relaxed way and should sway completely as you run (tap your rear and cross widely in front...kind of hard o explain.... keeping your limps loose is helpful... but I especially have swelling fingers when hiking-that's the worst time. :-/ Lame O! Some of that could be elevation....
  • mamma3monkeys
    Options
    yeah just so you know, hydration usually has nothing to do with it. I drink 100oz a day and my hands always swell.

you definitely need them bent at an angle and sometimes having them above your heart every so often helps. I have never fully gotten out of it happening but as long as you don't just have them hanging limply to your sides but are "pumping" them (think old ladies doing their power walks lol!) it should help.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    No, I don't run or walk with my arms straight down at my side. I always have them slightly bent.

Y'all are so awesome here! :flowerforyou: And I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences swollen fingers. :laugh:
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    yeah just so you know, hydration usually has nothing to do with it. I drink 100oz a day and my hands always swell.

you definitely need them bent at an angle and sometimes having them above your heart every so often helps. I have never fully gotten out of it happening but as long as you don't just have them hanging limply to your sides but are "pumping" them (think old ladies doing their power walks lol!) it should help.
    excellent visual!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I vote we all run with spirit fingers.

Seriously, about 10 mins in I need a good smile.
  • runjfur
    runjfur Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the same problem when I walk long distances... What I started doing was squeezing two old raquet balls (ones that have some stretch and give to them) and that seems to help keep the blood going. It'll strengthen the muscles in your forearms, too.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I've always had this 'problem'. I just clench & un-clench my hands as I'm walking to keep the blood moving. Works for me.

Oh, and I had to google 'spirit fingers'.:embarassed: :laugh:
  • Selaen
    Selaen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I slyly clench & unclench my hands a couple of times every 15mins or so. This gets the blood flowing & prevents sausage fingers once you're done!

Also, make sure your arms aren't too bent; I see a lot of runners with their fists by their chest area, swinging their elbows about. Seriously, what is that going to do to help?! 0.o

I got once told that your arms should be by your hip when running, and I try to keep this in mind when I feel myself bringing my arms higher...