a little help?

Options
Hey!
So to matain my weight, I need approx. 1700 cal. per day, Im trying to loose weight ( I would love to loose 2 lbs a week) , so Im trying to stick to a 1200 cal diet. I generally burn 300-400 cal per day with exercise, however I've read that you need to eat all your exercise calories back, but if I do, I would only have a 500cal defict per day.. Does this mean to say it would not be healthy for me loose anymore than 1 lb per week?

Replies

• mamma3monkeys
    Options
    okay I'm new here but to be honest I never heard of eating your calories back in. The only time I may choose to do that is when I'm maintaining and not trying to lose. I can understand you need a bit more food right before exercising and def. afterwards if you exercise after dinner - but there's no way in heck you can get me to eat back 1550 calories!
  • schokofan
    schokofan Posts: 37
    Options
    thanks!
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The short answer is yes, it is better for you to stick with 1 lb per week. Because of the health risks, MFP will not allow you (Or ask you) to eat less than 1200 calories a day. If those are your numbers, then it sounds like you don't have a massive amount of weight to lose....so 1 pound a week with be your better goal. Keep in mind though...just because your calories are scheduled for you to lose 1 pound per week...it doesn't necessarily mean that you will. Some weeks you may lose more, and others less. But the average over time will likely be 1 pound per week. Our bodies are very complicated...and confusing! They do not always follow the simple math...even though we do!
  • Princess_Jenn
    Princess_Jenn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The problem is that at 1200 cal a day you naturally burn most of that just in daily life (i.e. cooking, cleaning, walking, ect) So you need some nutrition to top off the deficit you will have. the key is to make them healthy cals so that you dont get excess fat. Good Luck!
  • Princess_Jenn
    Princess_Jenn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The problem is that at 1200 cal a day you naturally burn most of that just in daily life (i.e. cooking, cleaning, walking, ect) So you need some nutrition to top off the deficit you will have. the key is to make them healthy cals so that you dont get excess fat. Good Luck!
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    okay I'm new here but to be honest I never heard of eating your calories back in. The only time I may choose to do that is when I'm maintaining and not trying to lose. I can understand you need a bit more food right before exercising and def. afterwards if you exercise after dinner - but there's no way in heck you can get me to eat back 1550 calories!

You need to look at the NET calories at the end of the day....that number should be close to your "scheduled" calories....or at the very least 1200+. If you exercise a lot....and burn 1500 calories in a day (not your average daily activity, but actual exercise that is different from your normal day) then yes, you need to eat those back. IF not, you are risking some nasty side effects if that practice is kept up for too long. Your body will start to go into starvation mode and will start to use your muscles for fuel instead of fat...it will then start to hold on to every calorie you are eating to store for the important task of keeping you alive.

The important thing to remember....you must eat, eat, eat to lose weight! Eat often, eat small meals, eat healthy meals, eat breakfast, drink water, and you will do great!
    I have never eaten as much in my life as I have over the past 3 months losing 30 pounds.