Walking as exercise?

Options
Sezmo83
Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
Just so you're aware, this is about the only exercise I have access to at the moment. The gym is too far to walk and I can't drive due to regular seizures. The swimming pool is a 10 minute walk but due to my seizures I'm not supposed to go alone. We have no access to public transport and can't afford a taxi unless it's an emergency. I've tried running but only made it 3 houses before my knee gave out (old injury). I have the wii fit which I plan to start doing daily but I actually enjoy walking my dog so figured a 45 minute walk was ideal as it gets me out of the house as well as gets some exercise.

Now I know a 45 minute to an hour walk doesn't burn a huge amount of calories but surely it's better to do that than sit on the sofa all day and not bother? Well not according to my doctor, apparently walking is absolutley useless and I shouldn't bother. Way to kill my motivation doc! Someone give me a kick up the backside and tell me I'm not completely wasting my time! Please?

Replies

• aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    walking is my main exercise and apart from a bit of gardening and dancing its all i do at moment.. like u we live far too far from a gym for me to even contemplate going.. i can't drive till i have a cateract removed from my eye and my hubbie is unemployed so money is tight... i have in 5 weeks managed to lose 15lbs.. so walking IS good for you!!!
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    consider your butt kicked lol
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is nuts!

Yes, walking is an excellent exercise! And yes, the dog will love it!

The key here is to walk quickly enough to break a sweat as often as possible. So once the dog has done his business, you have to be going quicklly enough that he can't stop and sniff every blade of grass along the way. Very slow walking is better than nothing, but brisk walking is better for you and the dog.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I've lost most of my weight just from walking and changing my eating habits. That's like 15 pounds just from walking. You can do it. It works.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Do some dancing when you're at home too. :)
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You burn as many calories walking as you do running, the difference is when you stop running you keep buring calories and when you stop walking you stop buring calories. Make sense? I've heard walk 10,000 steps a day or 5 miles. I think your doctor is wrong it telling you to stop walking unless he or she is aware of some medical reason you shouldn't walk. Is it related to your siezure issues??? I think you should ask more probing questions as to why you shouldn't walk. My friend has lost 30 pounds doing Wii fit and walking only, so definately keep going. Also, you might consider renting videos and doing video workouts, they are good too and there are a ton of low impact that won't bother your knee.
  • Jentorres8814
    Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    KEEP WALKING !!! An old Dr of mine told me the same thing. He said walking is useless and it only for the old. Well I've since switched Drs and my new one says walking is a great way to exercise.its low impact and in conjunction with a diet you can lose weight. Some ppl can ONLY walk due to injuries. Walking is a great way for range of motion as well. Just keep doing what feels good for you. Eventually you will be able to run !!! GOOD LUCK
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Okay, depending on your fitness level and weight, you can burn a tremendous amount of calories walking. I walk 3.5 mph on the average and with my heart rate monitor, I burn 600 - 750 calories in 45 minutes. I set the incline and put everything into it. My heart rate generally is around 120 - 135 depending on what stage of the walk I am in. Walking tones your legs, arms and abs. It strengthens your back. It is a great form of exercise.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Um your doctor is an idiot. Walking is great exercise, it gets the heartrate up, and is low impact, virtually everyone can do it. Just make sure you're walking at a good pace (pump your arms, it really helps) and not just strolling down the street. When I first started here 3 years ago, that's ALL I did was walk, I did 30-45 minutes a day, four days a week and the weight just fell off.
  • bluehooked
    bluehooked Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I walk most every day, and i usually burn 300-400 cals which i feel good with and when i get home i usually cycle for roughly another 600 cals which seems to work for me. You do what you feel happy with,as i'm sure others will agree. I think out walking is a great thing i enjoy it so much.Good luck
  • Taras630
    Taras630 Posts: 85
    Options
    I walk for exercise. When I first started MFP that's all I did. I walked an hour 3 1/2 miles a day and I lost weight that way. I took my one year old with me and we both get to enjoy the view. Why does he not think it's helpful? You're doing something active? It's gotta be better than nothing!
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I recommend you find a new doctor. Since December, I've dropped 42 pounds from walking as my exercise.
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    FIRE your doctor! Walking is great exercise! Between eating healthy and walking on the treadmill, I have:

1. Lost 32 lbs. to date
    2. Got my blood sugar back in the normal range
    3. Lowered my blood pressure and the medication for it.
    4. Lowered my cholesterol and the medication for it.

I have a plate and screws in my right ankle and a bad right knee. Jogging isn't really an option, BUT walking is!

You gotta believe and you have to start somewhere!
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Walking is what I do and I have lost 21 lbs. My husband also walks and he lost 60 lbs. The key is the speed at which you walk. It must be brisk. If you can, purchase a Walk At Home video. That will help you keep up a good pace. Good luck!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to change doctors? If not ignore what he said, walking is great, it gets you and the dog out, and as someone else said walk briskly when you can. What are all those people doing on treadmills in the gyms. WALKING without the pleasure of fresh air and a chance to say hi to neighbours.
  • KimDis
    KimDis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My mother lost 40 lbs in about 4 months by moving from a vegetarian to a vegan diet and walking 2-3 miles twice a a day (total of 4-5 miles daily). While she has stayed within 5 pounds of this weight for over a year now, if the scale goes up even a that much we can always trace it to changes in her activity (too busy, bed rest from minor surgical procedure, etc).

She does walk away the pounds DVD's when she can't get out. Walking does wonders!
  • MissJodyMarie
    Options
    Slap your doctor in the face! Walking is such a great exercise for your body, and the most ideal form of exercise for women who are curvy, as it balances out proportions (according to a book I own). I think the thing with walking is that people automatically think of 'leisure', and relaxing walks. To make walking a great fat burner, figure out what your optimum walking pace is by walking very fast, and stop yourself just before breaking into a jog - this is your optimum walking pace. It helps to swing your arms too as it builds momentum really easily.

I have my own Heart Rate Monitor, and when I'm walking very briskly, I can burn 500 + calories in 45 minutes, so if that isn't good exercise I don't know what is!

Hope that helps! :smile:
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    of course walking is good for you !!!

its good for the body and mind !!!

tell your doctor to take a LONG walk........ off a short pier
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    walking is good...and there is more stuff you can do...you can do
    situps
    jumping jacks (low impact if it hurts your knees)
    leg lifts
    arm curls
    squats
    high knee lifts
    pushups
    dips
    ...all kinds of calisthenics!!!!!!!
  • lisaap77
    lisaap77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    First of all, you need a new doctor! Anything that gets your *kitten* up and moving is exercise. I have a friend who lost 100lbs in one year "just" walking on his treadmill for 30 minutes a day, religiously. You can also vary your walking, such as doing intervals like walk briskly for 2 minutes, slow it down for 2 minutes and so on. You can add dumbbells or ankle weights. You can still do plenty, so don't beat yourself up. I think you will notice that walking can make you lose weight and start to feel great and because you enjoy it, you'll probably stick to it! So please don't stop!!!