!!!Personal Confession that I need help with!!!

Options
This happens to me a lot...

I get on this kick where I want to lose weight and I am really motivated and THEN.... it goes down the hill from there! It's so annoying b/c I know I have the motivation... I don't know what happens from time to time. Being in a relationship really puts the pressure on practicing healthy food management! ...Especially when I am much thicker than my partner who can eat whatever and NOT gain and ounce. I eat 1 French fry and my *kitten* jiggles for days :(

This is my confession and I really want to change! I will have times where I am so motivated and will do everything right; and then it goes south :(

I have the motivation but then there are times where I SKATE by and the pounds PILE up on me and I am back to feeling depressed and stressed over my weight!

What suggestions do you offer... your HONEST suggestions, opinions, and/or facts?

Thanks for reading, supporting and understanding my FRUSTRATED journey to losing weight!

-Monroe!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I had quite a few what I call "false starts." I would begin to lose weight then slack off. I also have a partner who could eat anything and stay skinny...I know that feeling! I have found the message boards here keep me motivated, especially if I check out the "Success Stories" section. I need to lose a total of 30 pounds since starting MFP. When I see other MFP people who have lost HUNDREDS of pounds, it keeps me going. If they can lose all of that, then I can lose 30. Their success motivates me. Well, that and not wanting to have a fat rear end anymore.:wink:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    It might not be the motivation you are lacking.

You need to find what it is that is your THING. That thing that you want and what works for YOU. I am not one of those people that can see a skinny version of me and work toward that, so putting a picture of that on the mirrors and on the fridge doesn't get me.

I like having a challenge. I need a goal to work toward and when I reach it I need to reset it, or I don't have a purpose, and I keep on slacking until I get that goal to work at again.
    I like tracking food and seeing other peoples successes.

Once you have that thing that gets you. Your THING, then you need to work at implementing it. If you like looking at skinny pictures to get going, find the pictures and put them up, if you like motivation quotes, find and put them where you will see them all the time.

If you like to eat and just don't want to give up a certain food, use that as a reward for some goal. Or plan it into you food.
  • mtate914
    mtate914 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have the same problem. I start out great, then something happens during the day and I just start eating whatever I feel like. The next thing I know, the scale is my worst enemy. I have found the best way to combat this problem is to prepare on Sunday as best and realistically as possible what my eating plan will be for the week. Again, if possible. Then I commit myself to walking. I don't do the job thing,but I like to walk. I try to walk at least 4 to 5 times per week, no less then a mile at a time. I allow myself a day during the week to cheat. When I cheat I allow myself 1 cheat meal and then it is over. I plan that on a day when I know that I am exercing.

I have also purchased a few outfits in the next size down from what i wear. I hate to waste money, so i am super motivated to get into those clothes. As with the other folks who responded, you have to find your "thing". What works for one may not work for the other. The important thing is that you are open to suggestion. That is a big step in attaining success.

I wish you well, I know you can do it.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    It helps to visual your self at your "ideal" weight, visualize the clothes you want to buy, visualize the energy you'll have. Stop thinking of it as a diet, or a quick way to lose weight. It is a lifestyle change, it HAS to be a lifestyle change otherwise, you'll gain it back. Remember everyday is a new day, you fall off today you get back on tomorrow - not next week, but tomorrow.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I so hear you on this one! I am what I call an "all or nothing girl." I tend to either be totally hard core or out. THIS TIME, I'm trying to do everything in moderation. I'm trying to think... o.k., this is for life (not just hard core for a month and then quit). I'm not denying myself anything - if I want a cookie, I will eat A cookie. (if I told myself no, I'd end up eating it anyway PLUS 5 more!) I'm working out (running) on a regular schedule (but I'm listening to my body - my foot hurts today so I'm taking an extra day off).

There ARE going to be days where we are going to flub up - notice I didn't say fail. If we think of one slip as a fail, then we just want to quit. If it's a flub, then you just keep going and don't let it stress you out. (of course, don't let it mean nothing, but don't let it derail you).

Planning is key to success. If you KNOW something is coming up, prepare for it. For example, if you KNOW you are going out to dinner somewhere, go online and find the menu. Pick out what you are going to order and plan the day around it. Allow yourself a glass of wine or whatever you want. It's o.k. If it's a huge portion, ask them to put 1/2 in a takeout container BEFORE bringing it to you (it's too easy to nibble while you wait for the waitress). If you want dessert, split it with your friends (take one or 2 bites). If you go over your calories for the day, don't freak about it - just go workout the next day.

Life is supposed to be lived. Too many people lose focus of that when they are trying to lose weight. I think the people who are successful in the long term are those that have learned to relax and go with the flow.
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    you and I are much alike. I love the positive energy I find on here but as I read all the great goals people are reaching, Im eating a candy bar...

One of my MFP friends "yelled" at me - WTH is the problem!? Chit or get off the pot! Dont whine about what a struggle it is when in truth you are giving in to the temptations.

She was right. And God Bless her for being so brutally honest.

We EACH have to decide for ourselves exactly how important getting healthy is to us. Are we doing this for US or for someone elses approval? Have we set realistic goals or sare we trying to get our 17 yr old body back? We must find a program-a mind set that we can live with on a daily basis. We did not get this large over night-we are not going to lose it over nite.

FOCUS my friend. You have a great beginning-let yourself reach that happy-HEALTHY ending!!
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    Also wanted to share my favorite quote from a MFP friend :happy:

"The moment to restart is the very moment you took that last bite of a unhealthy choice":wink:
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with it. Sometimes, I switch from loss mode to maintain goal. That way a have a few days of 'rest". My biggest struggle is excercise. I hate to sweat...seriously. But I power through it on the bad days and it makes me feel like my next meal can be awesome for me. Also, I had to change my mind about weight loss. Yes, losing weight is my main goal here, but I had to realize this is a lifelong choice. If I lose, then think well, now I can eat what I want...I'll just gain it back. So, now I allow myself a bad day here or there, because in real life it happens. I also plan ahead for those days. For example, I know I'm having a bbq on Apri 30th and I know we will also be drinking. Therefore, I am just planning to enjoy my day. I am however, planning "my menu" in advance. I quit eating red meat and chicken so I'm going to have my husband grill me a piece of fish, and I'm also going to make vegetarian shish-ka-bobs to fill myself up with. Hopefully, the other goodies won't be as tempting that way.

You can do this. Just remind yourself you are worth it!
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    It helps to visual your self at your "ideal" weight, visualize the clothes you want to buy, visualize the energy you'll have. Stop thinking of it as a diet, or a quick way to lose weight. It is a lifestyle change, it HAS to be a lifestyle change otherwise, you'll gain it back. Remember everyday is a new day, you fall off today you get back on tomorrow - not next week, but tomorrow.

WOW! I love the last sentence! Thank You for that!
  • Monroe121
    Options
    Thank You all for the advice! Everything I read and understand! I am going to do some DEEP thinking and figuring out that the "THING" is!

:wink:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    While you are figuring out what your "thing" is... Take things one step at a time. Make a single change, give it a couple weeks until it becomes a habit that you are comfortable with. Then do another, give it a couple weeks, make it a habit and get comfortable with it. Take on each challenge, make it a habit, get comfortable. If you want a cookie, candy bar, greasy burger or what ever, find a way to work it in your daily goal. Don't deprive yourself of anything that you really want....better to indulge under controlled circumstance than to deny yourself and binge on it later.

Don't go gung ho on everything at once.... that is a direct route to burn out and giving up. Good days and bad days will happen. Life happens. Be patient. When you slip up, get back on the next minute, don't wait until tomorrow. Good Luck!
  • Monroe121
    Options
    I'm not giving anything up, I just get upset that I will be on a great kick to getting healthy and eating in moderation! As soon as I'm up to it; the next moment I see myself eating twice the size of what I normally eat! I feel so BLAH after I eat b/c I know I shouldn't have ate that much. As far as exercising, I was all about it, then it suddenly stopped like I hadn't even started it! I get so upset with myself!

But you know what I will do differently about it... I will make weekly goals and stick to it! Sometimes when I make monthly goes I get very side tracked; expecting OVERNIGHT results! Let's get realistic I tell myself!

Thank You for the advice! :wink:
    While you are figuring out what your "thing" is... Take things one step at a time. Make a single change, give it a couple weeks until it becomes a habit that you are comfortable with. Then do another, give it a couple weeks, make it a habit and get comfortable with it. Take on each challenge, make it a habit, get comfortable. If you want a cookie, candy bar, greasy burger or what ever, find a way to work it in your daily goal. Don't deprive yourself of anything that you really want....better to indulge under controlled circumstance than to deny yourself and binge on it later.

Don't go gung ho on everything at once.... that is a direct route to burn out and giving up. Good days and bad days will happen. Life happens. Be patient. When you slip up, get back on the next minute, don't wait until tomorrow. Good Luck!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, which has always affected my long-term weight loss (and, honestly, I notice that my motivation decreases or increases depending on the time of the month).

For me, something just clicked recently, where I realized that instead of "wishing" things would be different, I had the full power to make them different. I set little goals (5 pounds, then another 8 pounds, etc) so my goals seem doable. When I get close it gives me a push.

I also joined a challenge on here so I feel like I'm not only accountable to myself, but to other people as well. I know I might not meet the challenge, and I honestly doubt anyone would really notice or judge if I don't, but I don't want to be the one not logging every week or the one who sees no results.

I agree that you have to find your "thing", whatever you feel is that push. For me, it was realizing this is within my control, and while many other things in life are not in my control, this is something I can focus on and make happen.

Also, every day is new. If you can stick with it for a couple weeks, those changes will start being habits. It's OK to take a couple days off, just try to find the moderation. Good luck!!