Jillian vs. Bob

Options
I saw this on yahoo and thought I would share it.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/biggest-loser-face-off-jillian-vs-bob--38

I didn't know the best way to copy and paste this sorry.

hope you enjoy. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I saw this on yahoo and thought I would share it.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/biggest-loser-face-off-jillian-vs-bob--38

I didn't know the best way to copy and paste this sorry.

hope you enjoy. :flowerforyou:
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Wow! Burning 4000-5000 calories a day! My first thought after reading that is how much food they get to eat to get their exercise calories!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Wow! Burning 4000-5000 calories a day! My first thought after reading that is how much food they get to eat to get their exercise calories!

I don't think that they eat their exercise calories on the biggest loser, hence the dramatic weight loss so quickly. Not everybody agrees with the eat the extra calories concept...my doctor included.
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

I don't think that they eat their exercise calories on the biggest loser, hence the dramatic weight loss so quickly. Not everybody agrees with the eat the extra calories concept...my doctor included.

I guess that makes sense since they do end up losing soo much. Does anybody know how much they do eat a day?
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I saw them on the Oprah show and they do not eat their exercise calories. If I remember correctly the women I think either get a 1200 or 1400 calorie diet and the men either get a 1600 or 1800 calorie diet and they can burn anywhere up to 6000 calories a day. No wonder it is so hard to maintain once they get home and get into real life.

Connie
  • arjames82
    Options

My personal trainer also does not agree with the eat your exercise calories concept.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    jillian says add a 0 to your goal weight. like mine is 145, so my calories perday would be 1450. you just keep it there forever. that's what was said in one of the books.
  • bazuukajoe
    bazuukajoe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Okay, I was wondering about this, but it may be a bit off topic. So, according to MFP, when we exercise, we should eat back the number of calories we burned? So is that why when I add in my exercise it still tells me I have calories left to eat when I've already hit my target intake? This makes no sense to me. I mean, I understand eating a LITTLE more on the days that you have burned a lot of calories, but doesn't eating back all your calories burned defeat the purpose of creating a deficit in the fist place? Can someone please explain?
  • arjames82
    Options
    Okay, I was wondering about this, but it may be a bit off topic. So, according to MFP, when we exercise, we should eat back the number of calories we burned? So is that why when I add in my exercise it still tells me I have calories left to eat when I've already hit my target intake? This makes no sense to me. I mean, I understand eating a LITTLE more on the days that you have burned a lot of calories, but doesn't eating back all your calories burned defeat the purpose of creating a deficit in the fist place? Can someone please explain?

Honestly, I don't know if I can explain it to you, but I'll try. There is so much controversy on this message board over whether you should or should not eat your exercise calories. I don't because I am under the guidance of a personal trainer who has given me a set number of calories to eat per day at that's what I stick to whether I workout or not. My trainer says that the goal is to create a deficit in the number of calories that I consume and burn everyday...I shoot for a deficit of at least 500 calories. My basal metabolic rate is 2099 (based on test performed by trainer) which means that is how many calories I will burn just for existing everyday. So I eat between 1500-1599 calories per day to create to 500 calorie deficit. Since 1lb = 3500 calories, creating that deficit 7 days a week should cause me to lose 1 lb per week. When I exercise, that increases that daily deficit, which in turn increases my weight loss.

Hope that helps a little. I'm sure many will disagree, but that's what my personal trainer has advised me to do and it is working for me.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    You explained that great thank you. :drinker:
  • vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ohhhhhhhh. that explanation was great! I get it now. how do I find out what my basal metabolic rate is? lol
  • Chamorrita
    Options
    ohhhhhhhh. that explanation was great! I get it now. how do I find out what my basal metabolic rate is? lol

Check out www.bmr-calculator.net .....after you input your info it will calculate your BMR. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but at least you'll have an idea. :happy:
  • Chamorrita
    Options

Check out www.bmr-calculator.net .....after you input your info it will calculate your BMR. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but at least you'll have an idea. :happy:

Also the tools tab on mfp has the calculator too, but I find that I'm getting different numbers from different sites, so at least I know the range I'm in
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I saw them on the Oprah show and they do not eat their exercise calories. If I remember correctly the women I think either get a 1200 or 1400 calorie diet and the men either get a 1600 or 1800 calorie diet and they can burn anywhere up to 6000 calories a day. No wonder it is so hard to maintain once they get home and get into real life.

Connie

or if they are gaining back perhaps it's simply because are no longer in a cut off environment...the foods they have at the ranch are the food they have to choice from....that's it.

Back home the temptations of old habits and stresses are everywhere just like before they went on BL. If they had been adding back 6000 calories for their excercise then I can see where it would be almost disastorous when they get back home had gotten so used to that they continued. Because who works out for 6-8 hours a day unless they do it for a living/professional body builder.:noway: :huh:

Wouldn't it be much more difficult for them to adapt back home if they had been eating 6000 excercise cals at the ranch?:noway: :huh::drinker: because by going home that means they now have to drop several thousand calories each day (as in perhaps 4000 or so if they HAD been eating the excercise cals on the ranch?) the goal of the show and for the ratings is LOSE BIG NUMBERS FAST!

I have no idea how healthy they are losing it (course the show is only going to show us what it wants us to see::huh: ).... one thing is for sure...if you are several hundred lbs. overweight simply taking off anything is going to make it easier on our hearts and entire system...so if they drop 100 lbs. and it's not the 'MPF eat your excercise cals back' method....then I can see it would still be healthier than keeing those hundreds on your body.

Probably why they don't have them eat them... or the trainers that represent them simply don't believe in that philosophy? Real life we don't keep the weight off if we go that route (big #'s fast). I don't know...it's late maybe my thoughts aren't tumbling out of my head easy to understand... sorry if my post sounds a bit awkwardly written....didn't realize how I tired I was...:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

I'm not debating the excercise calorie theory...simple thinking about how their lives would differ greatly in a closed off setting vs. back home where they actually HAVE choices good & bad.:huh: :yawn:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    how funny:laugh: My thought would be OMG how on EARTH would I ever be able to possibly eat that much, (I mean HEALTHY foods...not binge food..lol)
    I struggle now to get all the excercise cals in.:huh: :noway: :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Honestly, I don't know if I can explain it to you, but I'll try. There is so much controversy on this message board over whether you should or should not eat your exercise calories. I don't because I am under the guidance of a personal trainer who has given me a set number of calories to eat per day at that's what I stick to whether I workout or not. My trainer says that the goal is to create a deficit in the number of calories that I consume and burn everyday...I shoot for a deficit of at least 500 calories. My basal metabolic rate is 2099 (based on test performed by trainer) which means that is how many calories I will burn just for existing everyday. So I eat between 1500-1599 calories per day to create to 500 calorie deficit. Since 1lb = 3500 calories, creating that deficit 7 days a week should cause me to lose 1 lb per week. When I exercise, that increases that daily deficit, which in turn increases my weight loss.

Hope that helps a little. I'm sure many will disagree, but that's what my personal trainer has advised me to do and it is working for me.
    :flowerforyou: I say whatever you and your trainer feel is working for you....stick to it!:happy:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

My personal trainer also does not agree with the eat your exercise calories concept.
    I'm glad some of you have shared about it......I'd never brought it up before myself cause I didn't want to make waves....:noway: but until I came here I'd never heard anything about eating excercise calories before. Yes, my PT, doc, nutrionist etc. don't agree either...so guess we go with our gut (FYI strickly IMHO not representing MFP by any means here with my post here) and decide how we want to do it.... Frankly I simply can't always get them all in...simply put....I do the best I can and that is helping with my all or nothing (perfectionism) attitude.:yawn:

So always learning......:drinker:
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I use to eat my exercise calories but I'm slowly stopping that. I now use my exercise calories as padding for the nights dinner puts me over because I cooked something the kids wanted. I'm trying to stick to just consuming 1200 calories per day and since my curent BMR is between 1500-1600 calories per day I feel I'm doing ok.

Do what feels right for you.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Do what feels right for you.
    100% agreed!:flowerforyou: :yawn: