INFO FROM A PERSONAL TRAINER/NUTRITIONIST/MODEL

Options

Replies

• MissMe2morrow
    Options
    The condescending tone wasn't really needed.

Agreed.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options

Seriously? Taking offense? :indifferent:

Haha couldnt agree with you more.

Seriously people if this offends you then I dont see how you can handle real life xD haha
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, going to have to check this out!
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    Will have to read it later... No time right now.. Thanks for the information though. It looks interesting.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I loved the information and didn't think the tone was offending at all.
  • SpazyK
    SpazyK Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you for posting this info - it's really very helpful. I'm just starting P90X (on day 10) and I was wondering why their nutrition plan didn't include 'low calorie' meals. Instead, the meals are high in protein and you're eating MORE calories than you normally would. Now I understand why! I'm trying to loose a few pounds by eating less calories (so that my muscles are more noticable), but I'm also trying to eat more protein so that I can build these muscles! But like you said, it's difficult to do since protein carries more calories. So which is it? Should I shred the pounds first and then start eating protein?

Thanks!!
  • Naomi91
    Options
    Thank you for posting this info - it's really very helpful. I'm just starting P90X (on day 10) and I was wondering why their nutrition plan didn't include 'low calorie' meals. Instead, the meals are high in protein and you're eating MORE calories than you normally would. Now I understand why! I'm trying to loose a few pounds by eating less calories (so that my muscles are more noticable), but I'm also trying to eat more protein so that I can build these muscles! But like you said, it's difficult to do since protein carries more calories. So which is it? Should I shred the pounds first and then start eating protein?

Thanks!!

Protein doesn't carry more calories. For each gram of protein it is 4 calories. For each gram of carb its 4 calories. For each gram of fat it is 9 calories. So up your protein and lower carbs or fat :]
  • SpazyK
    SpazyK Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for replying..

Then why do protein bars have so many calories?
  • Naomi91
    Options
    Thanks for replying..

Usually protein bars are very high in fat, carbs, and protein! They really are not too good for you D:

They whey protein I drink has 0 carbs, and 25g of protein with only 105 calories :D
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying..

Because most protein bars are essentially candy bars. Check out the sugars in them!
  • alana1966
    alana1966 Posts: 34
    Options
    Should I shred the pounds first and then start eating protein?

I have the same question - I know that a person needs to lose the body fat, first and foremost, but also that more muscle means better metabolism. It almost seems like a catch 22 situation - I guess it's more about patience?? You have to work at BOTH to see results, and not to expect anything overnight....
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Im NOT a personal trainer or nutritionist yet. This came from my PT and Nutritionist. If you'd like to contact him, message me!
    I saw this posted before, and I have a question for you. I started training with a personal trainer at my gym, and have been working with her for nearly a year. In that time I have steadily lost body fat (nearly 15%) and she says that I gain lean muscle mass . . . at this point nearly 25lbs up in lean muscle mass with my steady decrease. Does that mean I have gained muscle along the way? I was wondering from a few of the statements in your quotes. She measures using calipers and tape measure . . . I started dropping my body fat from 45% to 35% with very little change in weight, and now that I have figured out how to eat better I have been dropping weight. Once I started dropping weight I "gained one lb of lean muscle mass" one month, and "dropped a lb of lean muscle mass" the next month. I am a very athletic build and she says I am so much stronger than a lot of her female clients so she loves to throw heavy weight at me and I love it. Just wondering if the early stats were accurate in the gains of my lean muscle. Thanks.
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    FYI--not claiming to be an 'expert', what I am doing is copy and pasting info from MY personal trainer and sports nutritionist. He is also someone who owns and operates PFTA schools in SA, TX and Waco, TX and has won Mr. Fitness his 1st go roung. I felt this information was VERY helpful and if you can't handle the truth then continue to do what you are doing and you will always get what you got. IF you want bettter results take this to heart! If you want more details please message me and I will send you his contact info.
  • jolyned
    jolyned Posts: 28
    Options
    I have a quick question... I go to the gym 5 days a week on my lunch time. I've only started less than 2 weeks ago. They have a Keiser circuit which are a whole room of fitness machines that target pretty much every muscle.

I've been doing 20 minutes of rowing to start and then I do 20 minutes of the circuit. My gym has a little ticker which helps you move along the circuit properly. 45 seconds of working out and then 15 seconds to switch up. Am I doing good or should I change something? I just don't want to be putting all this time and sweat into this if I'm not doing something right.

Also, I got the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD and I've been doing that 20 minute workout every night once I put my son to bed. Am I on the right track?

Any advice?
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking offense to the tone. I already knew all of the things she posted from my own research and reading this board religiously. I just think a lot of times the message gets lost in the delivery. She spent a lot more energy berating the ignorant rather than giving them the tools to succeed. That's my problem.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

I have the same question - I know that a person needs to lose the body fat, first and foremost, but also that more muscle means better metabolism. It almost seems like a catch 22 situation - I guess it's more about patience?? You have to work at BOTH to see results, and not to expect anything overnight....

It depends on the person. If you are obese, I would recommend focusing on losing the fat first, then focus on strength gains. In general these are conflicting goals and only one should be your focus, at a time, however they can happen simultaneously to an extent, however, both will be slower than if you just focused on one. Results will also greatly depend upon your exercise routine. Not all strength routines will build strength/muscle as fast as others.
  • shaunshaikh
    Options
    For example, stroutman81 is a popular personal trainer on this board who posts regularly in addition to his blog. Through all of his educational posts and his question and answer sessions he has never been condescending or mean. People have learned a ton from him and he has empowered them with the tools to succeed in their weight (fat) loss.
  • shaunshaikh
    Options

It depends on the person. If you are obese, I would recommend focusing on losing the fat first, then focus on strength gains. In general these are conflicting goals and only one should be your focus, at a time, however they can happen simultaneously to an extent, however, both will be slower than if you just focused on one. Results will also greatly depend upon your exercise routine. Not all strength routines will build strength/muscle as fast as others.
    You should be working on strength training during your weight loss. You may not gain muscle during the process, due to the fact that it is nearly impossible to gain significant muscle while working with a calorie deficit. However, you will have a better chance to maintain the muscle that you have and keep your metabolism humming. When you lose 5 pounds after a month, you want to know that 4 of that was fat and not the other way around.
  • ThePinkSheep
    ThePinkSheep Posts: 24 Member
    Options

If it had been Jillian Michaels saying that here on the boards, no one would be "offended".

Besides, read the first part. It is addressing female clients she never mentioned the Message Boards......
  • shaunshaikh
    Options
    I don't see why it matters who she is addressing or who it is delivering the message.