HELP ME! Require motivation and some guidelines…

Options
OK so I am not officially on the ‘get healthy, lose weight, get fit and become the dressage diva I have always dreamed of’ bandwagon… I am looking for some sort of motivation, are there any group challenges that I can join in with? I will be looking to lose in the region of 70lbs by 31st December 2011 through healthy eating and hard exercise!

So questions… what do you suggest for breakfast and lunches at work? How do you suggest I built up my exercise levels… I intend on using power walking, horse riding and my stationary bike! I have let myself down over the winter to the extent I am extremely unfit and need to build this all up very slowly…

Thanks in advance guys :)

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I take my breakfast, lunch and two snacks to work.

My breakfast is usually oatmeal or a bowl of cereal.
    snack 1 is cut up vegetables and hummus
    Lunch is usually a sandwich or a bowl of soup. I sometimes make a big pot of something on the weekend. Put it in serving dishes and freeze it. This acts as a cooler for the rest of my lunch too.
    Snack 2 is usually fruit and cottage cheese

ETA: Ooops. Missed the part about exercise. Start walking. 30 minutes a day.
  • sandytoes3
    sandytoes3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started off with walking. Just enough to make me want to get back out the next day and walk some more. I tried not to burn myself out all at once but when i started looking forward to exercising... I knew I was on the right track.

You can do this!! Just take baby steps and plan ahead. Tell yourself what you can get done and then do it. Make a schedule. Commit to doing something beyond your normal activites at least every other day. Whether its 30 min walk around your block...30 min on a stationary bike while you watch tv or walking the dog a little bit longer than usual.

Just get out there and do it. :)
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I cannot give you suggestions for meals at work because I have been out of work for over a year, and I just FINALLY got into the right mindset to get healthy and lose weight a few months ago.

BUT, exercise, that's a different story lol. I had a membership to a gym. I would go 3 days a week and spend 2 hours there doing the treadmill, the bike, the elliptical, leg machines, arm machines. What did I get out of that...absolutely NOTHING! I found that, even with my music, I would get bored and I could not get myself to "step it up". I seemed to be going through the motions. So, I needed to do something different. After watching the infomercials for Zumba for years, and wanting to give it a try, I decided to get off my big ol' butt and find a class. In October, I went to my first class, with a friend (who later stopped going) and I have never looked back! I LOVE to dance, to shake my hips and have fun. Zumba does that for me...I found something that I love to do and in February, I actually started going 4 times a week. I have made a ton of new friends that do nothing but support & encourage each other and I look forward to going; not dread it like I was the gym.

Bottom line - find something that you enjoy doing and building that up (adding more time, weight, etc) will come easy.

Good luck to you...you can do it!
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    Unfortunately, I cannot give you suggestions for meals at work because I have been out of work for over a year, and I just FINALLY got into the right mindset to get healthy and lose weight a few months ago.

BUT, exercise, that's a different story lol. I had a membership to a gym. I would go 3 days a week and spend 2 hours there doing the treadmill, the bike, the elliptical, leg machines, arm machines. What did I get out of that...absolutely NOTHING! I found that, even with my music, I would get bored and I could not get myself to "step it up". I seemed to be going through the motions. So, I needed to do something different. After watching the infomercials for Zumba for years, and wanting to give it a try, I decided to get off my big ol' butt and find a class. In October, I went to my first class, with a friend (who later stopped going) and I have never looked back! I LOVE to dance, to shake my hips and have fun. Zumba does that for me...I found something that I love to do and in February, I actually started going 4 times a week. I have made a ton of new friends that do nothing but support & encourage each other and I look forward to going; not dread it like I was the gym.

Bottom line - find something that you enjoy doing and building that up (adding more time, weight, etc) will come easy.

Good luck to you...you can do it!
    I do Zumba too too its a gtreat workout,im not good at it but its makes me sweat!!lol my best freind actually teaches it and im still not good at it,im good at pump and boxersize ect i think its a case of im ok using my arms or my legs but put both together n i freak lol
  • JAP120
    JAP120 Posts: 8
    Options
    I do Zumba also. I love it. for the first time in 20 years exercise is fun.

I try to control my portions and eat alot of fruit and veggies. I love salty crunch so i need a plan when I get stressed and want food. It doesnt always work but i am much better than i used to be.

I pack my lunch and try to stick to what i have. However... exercise I am finding is key. You need to exercise. Start slow and easy but push yourself to do a little more each day. I also feel that any extra movement is good. I put more effort into barn chores, and yard work. It feels good just to be active. I have also found wearing a pedometer is eye opening. You need 10,000 steps for healthy living, and 15000 for weight loss. If you r like me with a desk job, it takes work to get to the 10,000. I also commute 3 hours a day so i can only have 2 or 3 thousahd by supper time.

I figure, it took years to get fat, it is going to take years and hard work to get healthy. It is worth it though in the long run. At least I keep telling myself that.