Please explain "off day"

Options
I've heard it lots of time but what does it mean? Does it mean you can eat anything you want? Do you worry about counting calories (logging) on that day? Do you go over by just a few hundred calories? Do you bank calories from other days to use on the off day?

HELP!!!

Replies

• GaoLee
    GaoLee Posts: 65
    Options
    I've heard it lots of time but what does it mean? Does it mean you can eat anything you want? Do you worry about counting calories (logging) on that day? Do you go over by just a few hundred calories? Do you bank calories from other days to use on the off day?

HELP!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    An off day for me is just a day that I don't exercise. I eat slightly less than maintenance and do my normal activities but no exercising.
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I try to log mine so that I have an idea of what I actually did and can keep a record of it... but of course the things I :heart: the most are really hard to log accurately.

My thinking is that sometimes you just need a day to eat what you like. I have about one a week. Try not to go over that. I also ideally want to stay around my BMR those days, so I don't feel like I am canceling out any of the work I have already done. But I honestly don't worry too much.

I feel like it is good to change things up and trick your metabolism sometimes. I have to try to limit my "off" days, because I enjoy them and would happily have one every day if I would still lose weight. :laugh:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    For me it could mean either a day off from exercise or eating healthy. In terms of eating, though, I'd much rather have an off meal instead of an off day, as off days are usually harder to rebound from.
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    An "off day" for me is day where i don't open MFP at all and enjoy foods with my kids. I try to stick to suggested servings. I also try not to go over board but I try to fit in at least 30 minutes of walking.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I take an "off" day also especially on the weekends so that I can dine at a local restaurant with my family.
    Options
    Off day to me means that I don't worry about exsercing or what I am eatting for that day. but I just don't sit around and do nothing either. I am extremly busy when I am not working exspecially on my 2 days off.
  • GaoLee
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I'm seriously thinking of having an off day.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    An off day (for me) means no exercise.

A cheat day is when I eat a bit above maintenance (ok, ok it's when I pig out! :laugh:)
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    An "off day" for me is when I relax a little bit about what I eat....for one meal.
    This typically happens over the weekend.
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Its what you make it? I sometimes just dont exercise or splurge on good food? It just depends on the day? hehe
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I usually have a Free day each week. Where I"m free to eat what ever. Sometimes I still exercise. I find that it helps me get through the week if I know that on Saturday I will be able to get a treat. Usually I plan on eating a ton, but since I don't eat a lot normally I find that I can only get down about half of what I planned on eating.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I usually have a Free day each week. Where I"m free to eat what ever. Sometimes I still exercise. I find that it helps me get through the week if I know that on Saturday I will be able to get a treat. Usually I plan on eating a ton, but since I don't eat a lot normally I find that I can only get down about half of what I planned on eating.

Oh! Me too, I eat soooo much less and knowing that Saturday I get to kind of relax the rest of the week is usually cake to deal with. I also only eat a fraction of what I used to eat a few months ago!
  • GaoLee
    Options

Oh! Me too, I eat soooo much less and knowing that Saturday I get to kind of relax the rest of the week is usually cake to deal with. I also only eat a fraction of what I used to eat a few months ago!

Oh really? On a normal cheat day, do you log what you eat? Curious, how many calories do you go over and still manage to make all the hard work counts?
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

Oh really? On a normal cheat day, do you log what you eat? Curious, how many calories do you go over and still manage to make all the hard work counts?

Well for me, I log everything for the day but that one meal....so I know roughly how many I roughly have to chill with. Most days I only go over my recomended calories by 100 or so....usually cause I cook instead of going out and splurging. Its a baby kick start.
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    Personally, my off day consists of not logging anything into MFP... I don't follow exercise or fitness guidelines, pretty much whatever I want. I do it every 2 weeks, on payday :) I take advantage, and wake up the next day to make up for what I did. So far I haven't gained more than a pound for my off days, and I lose more than that in a week, so I am still losing with my off day