A breakfast SHOCKER!!

Options
Yesterday morning I was still pretty bleary eyed, and instead of measuring out my Cheerios, I just plunked them into a bowl, sliced bananas on top and added skim milk. It wasn't until I sat down that I realized that I had put way too much in the bowl--like 2.5 cups instead of 1 cup. I put the accurate numbers into MFP....and, when my "chai latte" was figured in, I ended up with a breakfast over OVER 600 calories...twice as many as I "budget" for breakfast and a little under half of my day's calorie allotment!!! ARGH!!!

And, of course, it wasn't a filling meal, so I was hungry again much sooner than I would have been with the same calorie count of, say, eggs...grrrrr

I made a point of doing extra cardio to offset the boo boo....and no matter how bleary eyed I am in the future, I will not repeat THAT error!!!

Replies

• bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    way too much carbs...puts me back to sleep (and hungry for more carbs...) :wink:
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree. Its so hard once you get started measuring with measuring cups and then trying to measure something just by sight. I have trouble with that all the time!
  • LaurieJAndrews
    LaurieJAndrews Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    so easily done. but maybe a good reminder every now and then how easy it is to slip back. :o)
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    2 biggest mistakes of my past - not measuring and not weighing food. I used to worry people would think I was a dork for doing it but I don't care anymore. I'd rather be a slim dork than a fat fool. :love: Great job for realizing your blunder and correcting it with exercise!! :drinker:
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I started tracking my food on MFP I realized how much I was eating every morning. I used to use bowls for cereal, but after finding out they can hold up to 2.5 cups, like you realized, I've since switched to using our smaller coffee cups. They hold exactly one cup of cereal, so I never go over.
  • BubbaChub
    Options
    I did the same with my Raisin Bran Crunch the other day!!!! OUCH!!
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Its amazing how much we eat without knowing it. When you start measuring what you eat. it certainly is eye opening. I'm suprised I didn't weigh 400 pounds when I think about how much I must have been eating.:blushing:
  • DPruneda17
    DPruneda17 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what we 'think' we are eating, and what we 'actually' are eating once we measure it! I love my cereal in the mornings, and had to learn to watch how much I pour into my bowl as well! :happy: I tell people to MEASURE, especially when they tell me they eat good foods but still can't lose weight. Usually it's because the amount of calories they are tracking, is not the same as they are actually eating!
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    special k it ill you up
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think you hit the nail on the head. This is exactly why it is so important to measure ...and believe me I am one who needs to keep measuring...I always think I have it right until I recheck.

That is what has caused me to fail in the past.

Also dead on about the carbs and hunger....if I have a protein breakfast I have no hunger until lunch time. That truly works.

we all make those mistakes though! it was a good reminder to us that you shared this!:flowerforyou:
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I used to worry people would think I was a dork for doing it but I don't care anymore. I'd rather be a slim dork than a fat fool.

Haha! I never thought of it that way! I'd rather be a slim dork than a fat fool too!!
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I did the same with my Raisin Bran Crunch the other day!!!! OUCH!!

Mmmmm raisin bran..
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    Its actually funny that you posted this because just the other day I wanted to see if I could portion out my cereal all by myself w/o the measuring cup....I poured what I thought was one cup of cheerios in my bowl and then poured it in the measuring cup (in hopes to not need the measuring cup anymore) Well..it was 2cups! So I know Im not ready to lose the measuring cup yet!!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Kinda-sorta related...we have some BIG bowls in the house, and these are the bowls that my SO uses for ice cream. I internally cringe every time I see him heap about five cups of ice cream in those bowls...and not gain a flippin' ounce. :grumble:
  • gshinkle
    gshinkle Posts: 20
    Options
    Cereal always left me hungry - regardless of how much ended up in the bowl.

Ironically enough, I lost a significant amount of weight (before joining here of course) by eating 3-4 eggs fried in organic butter with a smoothie of almond milk or whole milk (whichever was on hand, mostly almond milk) with some Amazing Grass Superfood. Even better was that my LDL cholesterol (though not initially super high) had actually dropped.

You can also try eating boiled eggs. Not sure if it'll help you, but I've found that eating more protein in the morning keeps me much more satisfied than eating processed carbohydrates. It's also a lot nicer to not have to measure everything you do.
  • KatRDH94
    KatRDH94 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea, I have a smaller bowl I use but it is dirty sometimes and I hate washing before I have to eat, blah, blah, you know what I mean and I have TONS of smaller coffee cups,,,Thanks for the tip!
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I went out and specifically shopped for small bowls because of that very reason. The bowls I found will only hold a cupand a half if you fill it all the way to the brim...so if you fill it 3/4 full to still have room for milk it holds a cup. I use them for cereal and to eat most of my side dishes and what not. Never have to worry about the eyes decieving me that way.