Calorie Zig Zag Question

concealedpearl
concealedpearl Posts: 206
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
How do you take into account your exercise calories when you are doing the calorie zig zag

I am setting up myself at a 1.5lb loss per week...it says I need to eat 1320 calories for this. So I would assume I do 2 days at 1320 calories and one day at 2040(maintenance) and same for the other days. My question is do I then eat back some or all of my exercise calories to have a NET instead of being under the caloric goal. I usually exercise 6 days a week, so I can make sure I eat a NET of my maintenance calories on the day I exercise, will this defeat the purpose. Overall I'm confused so any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    I actually am quite passsionate about this topic, haha.

Basically, my exercise during the week is very predictable. I sat down and looked at how many calories I will burn during a given week. I divided that number by 7 and added that to my goal net calories. That's how many total calories I eat every single day.

For example:
    My goal net calories -- 1,660 calories
    My weekly exercise calories -- 3,500 calories
    My average daily exercise calories -- 500 calories
    Ergo, my daily intake = 1,660 + 500 = 2,160 calories.

However, if I eat 2,100-2,200 every day, invariably some days I will have calories left over some days and some days I will be way under depending on how much exercise I did. As long as my average meets up with my exercise, I am still losing weight. On days where I don't exercise, I basically end up eating my maintainance calories. On days where I have 1,000+ calorie workouts I have a huge deficit to make up for it.

For me, eating the same amount of calories every day is just nice because I get used to my portion sizes and diet. There's no scaling up and down several hundred calories every day based on my activity level. Something to think about!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    The biggest thing to remember about calorie deficit is that you DON'T want too BIG a deficit. So, if you exercise, make sure your total deficit doesn't exceed about 1000 calories per day average. One of the things about a zig-zag diet is that you 'kinda' make up for some extreme deficits on first and second day with the third day ... but again the overall thing to look at is that you don't go too deep into your deficit continuously or your body will hit survival/starvation mode and you won't lose fat.

I would recommend trying to keep your deficit within the -500 to -1000 window (generally, I aim for -800 unless that puts me below the 1200 calorie minimum I need to survive) I ALWAYS try to get at least 1200 calories, even if that means only a 4 or 5 hundred calorie deficit.

I am not an expert on the calorie zig-zag thing, but applying principles I have learned over the years, there's my .02.

Good luck and I hope your efforts are rewarding to say the least!
    ~Namaste
  • How do you take into account your exercise calories when you are doing the calorie zig zag

I am setting up myself at a 1.5lb loss per week...it says I need to eat 1320 calories for this. So I would assume I do 2 days at 1320 calories and one day at 2040(maintenance) and same for the other days. My question is do I then eat back some or all of my exercise calories to have a NET instead of being under the caloric goal. I usually exercise 6 days a week, so I can make sure I eat a NET of my maintenance calories on the day I exercise, will this defeat the purpose. Overall I'm confused so any help will be appreciated. Thanks

I've been using the zig zag method for a few weeks now and it really has worked for me!
    I used this calorie calculator to give me some parameters... http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    Once you enter your info, if you scroll down you'll find the 7-Day Zig Zag... it suggests to you what you should do per day. Of course, you can make your own pattern which might better suit your lifestyle (ex: I'm busiest on Wednesdays BUT eat out that day so it works that that is my "high cal" day). Remember also that the zig zag method is more about the total amount consumed per week...

As far as exercise goes, I almost always eat back my calories.

MFP set me up with 1511 cals per day based on my activity level and pounds loss goal. According to my zig zag calculator, on Wednesdays I am to eat 1800 cals and on Saturday 1600... this means of course I go over my goal. But on other days like Tuesdays, I'm set to eat 1330.. If i exercise I eat those calories back because I will be in too much of a deficit.. maybe not for the day but for the week. Remember that MFP creates a healthy deficit for you... if you exercise, you create more of a deficit. It's important to give back to your body the calories it needs.
  • purpl3sox
    purpl3sox Posts: 38
    To have effective calorie staggering, you want to change the quantity of calories you are eating on a daily basis. So take your total calories for the week and break them down for seven days. For me that looks like this

Monday 1200
    Tuesday 1500
    Wednesday 1800
    Thursday 1200
    Friday 1600
    Saturday 1800
    Sunday 2000

Eating back your exercise calories is really debatable, some say you never know exactly what you burn so you don't want to eat them back because you might over eat, some say that eating them back defeats the purpose of the exercise, some say you have to or else your body wont have enough fuel. I don't eat back my exercise calories because I have talked to my nutritionist and she said that it is better for me not to eat them back for the best results. If you want to eat back your exercise calories just add them to your daily stagger. You can also eat back only some of them, just another option.

Hope that helps
  • Thanks...It makes sense now.

I'll calculate my exercise total for the week and work it in to my allotted calories and create a zig zag from there.
This discussion has been closed.